Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, having played every DOOM game ever made... i'm not to sure how if eel about this. I just hope they don't screw it up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i look forward to it.

what i need is some good gun\zombie\martian\satanic entertainment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
playing DOOM 3 the way it was meant to be played (aka at night, sound up, lights off) i can honestly say no hollywood movie has ever gotten me as jumpy.

it'll be interesting to see what i find scarier, the movie or the original game.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Even if the story line is not true to the game, I would at least hope that this movie is mildly entertaining.  I happen to like "The Rock" as an actor.  I thought The Rundown and Walking Tall were both good movies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even if the story line is not true to the game, I would at least hope that this movie is mildly entertaining.  I happen to like "The Rock" as an actor.  I thought The Rundown and Walking Tall were both good movies.  

Rundown was funny.....and Walking Tall was pretty good, imo too.  Coulda used more action but....Ashley Scott was fucking HOT as the stripper and in the Sheriff's Office with the Rock.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]
you a day late and a dollar short brother man. Dupe on the Aliens remake.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=373833
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]
it's going to suck. don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
playing DOOM 3 the way it was meant to be played (aka at night, sound up, lights off) i can honestly say no hollywood movie has ever gotten me as jumpy.

it'll be interesting to see what i find scarier, the movie or the original game.

OH FUCK YES! I completely forgot they were making this into a film....

+100000000 for playing at night, no lights, sound WAY up. Completely creeps people out.

Not giving much credence to the comments about an Alien remake, people will draw that conclusion regardless. This film is based on a 10 year old video game. I just hope they get teh weapons right.... (rocket launchers, BFG, hell, I hope they throw in the chainsaw just for grins...)

GG
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]

people will draw that conclusion regardless

Gee, wonder why?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
its coming out this yer, forgot what month..
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
its coming out this yer, forgot what month..

Watch the trailer. 10/21
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#13]

good finger discipline
I must say, as much as I hate "professional" wrestling, I think the rock has done a good job of getting a different career and I think he's a pretty good actor too, and although looks wise he'll probably never get a non-action role, I think talent wise he could handle it
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Sadly I'm sure its going to suck because it has nothing to do with the game.

They arent on Mar's moons, nor are they space marines, and they arent even fighting demons.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Find me a link thats not blocked at work.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yessss!! (though I think the movie will likely suck)

Surround & a good sub is a must with this game! It is definitely best with the lights out & stereo cranked..

MMmmmmm... Doom....

I do the same with "The Suffering" that game is pretty creepy too. I love it when a game can make me jump out of my skin.. hehe.. Speaking of that, just got MOH, European Assault, that one isn't bad at night w/ the lights out, and sound cranked either.. Doom & Suffering beat it for spookiness though..

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, having played every DOOM game ever made... i'm not to sure how if eel about this. I just hope they don't screw it up.

they already have.

no mentions of demons from hell and portals.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The only movie-based-on-a-game that had any fidelity to its origins was Resident Evil. They didn't set it in New York or L.A., they kept it in Raccoon City -- a dopey name but the right one. Because it was shot in Berlin it had a creepy feeling to begin but nothing about the production felt like Hollywood compromise except the inexplicable absence of Jill Valentine, who appeared (quite beautifully) in the sequel.

After the first 20 minutes or so Doom 3 was anything but scary; it was tired, irritating, predictable and cheated the player at every turn, particularly by making your character too frickin' stupid to use a flashlight and a weapon at the same time. Things popping out of the shadows where there were no things when you checked, unimaginative demons, a Hell that was little more than another boring level to find your way out of... Doom 3 was one of the biggest gaming disappointments since Daikatana. Its pitiful use of flickering light and perpetual darkness felt more like a Broken Monitor simulator than a game.

If you want creepy and disturbing (as opposed to simply scary) try any of the Silent Hill series. Best Buy is blowing out Silent Hill 3 for $9.99.

As for the Doom movie, chances of it sucking hard are extremely high but The Rock might have the charisma and charm to pull it off in spite of itself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
particularly by making your character too frickin' stupid to use a flashlight and a weapon at the same time. Things popping out of the shadows where there were no things when you checked

-snip

I thought forcing you to choose between your weapon & a light in an extremely dark game was cool, it makes the game more challenging. As for things popping out of the shadows, the demons are either teleporting to your location, or coming out of a hidden door, as with the history of the Doom series. This is another reason surround is essential in this game.

Quoted:
Its pitiful use of flickering light and perpetual darkness felt more like a Broken Monitor simulator than a game.

I also liked the lighting effects of the game, darkness makes for a lot of surprises, especially when you have to choose between the flashlight & weapon. I thought the game was excellent.

What do you think of The Suffering?

Edited for spellink
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The only movie-based-on-a-game that had any fidelity to its origins was Resident Evil. They didn't set it in New York or L.A., they kept it in Raccoon City -- a dopey name but the right one. Because it was shot in Berlin it had a creepy feeling to begin but nothing about the production felt like Hollywood compromise except the inexplicable absence of Jill Valentine, who appeared (quite beautifully) in the sequel.

and it stil managed to mangle the game.

same with 2. They should have never had "Alice" should have taken place in a mansion. should have had barry, chris ,and wesker.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I still want to play doom 3 but somone killed my CDs.

Do they have a non-quicktime trailer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought forcing you to choose between your weapon & a light in an extremely dark game was cool, it makes the game more challenging. As for things popping out of the shadows, the demons are either teleporting to your location, or coming out of a hidden door, as with the history of the Doom series. This is another reason surround is essential in this game.

Well, I thought it was retarded. You can make anything "challenging" by artificially limiting your options. Golf would be a lot more fun if you could lob the ball with an M203 instead of hitting it with a stick. (Not sure about putting, though.) If not for the user-created weapon/flashlight mods I wouldn't have bothered finishing the damned thing.

Quoted:
I also liked the lighting effects of the game, darkness makes for a lot of surprises, especially when you have to choose between the flashlight & weapon. I thought the game was excellent.

There was no dynamic in the lighting; EVERYTHING was dark except for the brief claustrophobic sojourns outdoors.

I haven't seen The Suffering (I don't do consoles). Read about it, sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I thought it was retarded. You can make anything "challenging" by artificially limiting your options. Golf would be a lot more fun if you could lob the ball with an M203 instead of hitting it with a stick. (Not sure about putting, though.) If not for the user-created weapon/flashlight mods I wouldn't have bothered finishing the damned thing.

Quoted:

There was no dynamic in the lighting; EVERYTHING was dark except for the brief claustrophobic sojourns outdoors.

I haven't seen The Suffering (I don't do consoles). Read about it, sounds interesting.

To each his own...  If you ever decide to "do" consoles, check out the suffering. (PS2, or Xbox)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#25]
WTF did this get moved here?

are the mods smoking more crack them normal?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top