Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 1:09:32 PM EDT
We have a number of old DNS entries in our forward lookup zone. Some dating back to 2012 and 2013. We have enabled "Aging and Scavenging" and had it kick off last night around 7pm. It has ran a few times since then as well but when I check the even viewer on the DC/DNS server I get event ID 2502 with the text below. How can I get this to run properly and clean up all the crap that is floating around in the forward lookup zone?

The DNS server has completed a scavenging cycle but no nodes were visited. Possible causes of this condition include:

1) No zones are configured for scavenging by this server.
 2) A scavenging cycle was performed within the last 30 minutes.
 3) An error occurred during scavenging.

The next scavenging cycle is scheduled to run in 7 hours.

The event data will contain the error code if there was an error during the scavenging cycle
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We have a number of old DNS entries in our forward lookup zone. Some dating back to 2012 and 2013. We have enabled "Aging and Scavenging" and had it kick off last night around 7pm. It has ran a few times since then as well but when I check the even viewer on the DC/DNS server I get event ID 2502 with the text below. How can I get this to run properly and clean up all the crap that is floating around in the forward lookup zone?

The DNS server has completed a scavenging cycle but no nodes were visited. Possible causes of this condition include:

The event data will contain the error code if there was an error during the scavenging cycle
View Quote

Are they static entries?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they static entries?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they static entries?

The entries we are trying to scrub are not static. There are static entries in the forward lookup zone, which is fine, but there's a lot of trash floating around in there. Multiple entries for machines that all show the same IP or entries for machines that were for users who are no longer with the company. Those machines were re-imaged, re-named, and assigned to other users but there are still entries showing up in the forward lookup zone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The entries we are trying to scrub are not static. There are static entries in the forward lookup zone, which is fine, but there's a lot of trash floating around in there. Multiple entries for machines that all show the same IP or entries for machines that were for users who are no longer with the company. Those machines were re-imaged, re-named, and assigned to other users but there are still entries showing up in the forward lookup zone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they static entries?

What server OS version and what domain functional level?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Does this apply? Are you backing up your zone hosts files daily?

DNS Scavenging not working

Past that - no clue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
You enabled it on both the server node and zone level right?

Also you said you kicked it off at 7pm - I take it you did this manually, right after configuring scavenging. Take a look at this KB from MS that explains your problem:

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You enabled it on both the server node and zone level right?

Also you said you kicked it off at 7pm - I take it you did this manually, right after configuring scavenging. Take a look at this KB from MS that explains your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842463

View Quote

Yes, on the server and zone.
I just read the KB you linked to. Interesting. That definitely sounds like our issue. Our next date we can scavenge is sometime on Saturday. I guess I'll just have to wait until Monday to see if it works.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience is that this can actually take several weeks before you actually notice old entries being scavenged. If you've got more than one DNS server, just set up scavenging on one of them, then let AD replicate that out to the others, dont set up scavenging on all of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top