Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 12:01:27 PM EST
A little history... I have:

- Flooded a house I was renting because a line broke behind the wall as I was turning the toilet feed valve back on after replacing the tank valve. (I couldn't find the main valve at the street.)

- Flooded the ceiling of a house I was renting because a hot water line broke after I threw a piece of plywood up in the attic.

- Shattered a toilet in a house I was renting because one of the tank screws was rusted, and instead of going to the store and buying a grinder, I took a hammer and cold chisel to the nut.

- Flooded a house I owned because I thought it was normal for the drip pan in the air handler in the closet to have water in it - before I went on vacation.

The softener in my new (1992) home broke, causing the inlet pipe from the well pump to break. I got that fixed, but I need to buy a new softener.

Should I install it myself? What say you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:44:39 PM EST
with your track recored i would pay some one to install it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:06 PM EST
I really do not see what could go wrong research a little and use proper tools. Hour or two tops.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:51:07 PM EST
You'll NEVER learn if you don't TRY
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:54:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 12:55:03 AM EST by duneriderltr450]
I will be installing one too this coming weekend. Don't forget beer. A good DIY project includes alcohol consumption.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:05:34 AM EST
It's not that hard to install if you already have a softener, and especially if you can find the same brand softener or the input manifold is the same. Find the main shut off valve and/or there should be a shut off valve near the old softener. Input to input, output to output, then pressure check everything that you touched. Then keep an eye on it for a week or two. I would make sure that it is not easy to hit or knock over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:06:37 AM EST
Try to get one that has sharkbite water connections. Oversize the discharge drain line and keep it short as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:08:40 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By duneriderltr450:
I will be installing one too this coming weekend. Don't forget beer. A good DIY project includes alcohol consumption.
View Quote

AMEN
Top Top