Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2002 11:29:12 AM EDT

Anyone done this? Cost of DIY vs installed?

I have a new pup and I'm thinking of getting 1/2 of the back yard done (about 1 acre) Labs need some room [BD]

Do I need to rent a wire plow if I want to DIY? I really don't feel like hand burying it.

TIA

DOH, I should proof read my posts[BD]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I did this and it's working but I dont think it will work for every dog (not even most dogs).  Even my dog that's small and skittish and was trained young, can and will just run through the wire if she's motivated (mailman or cars).  Then once out, they won't come back through the wire.  I had to get the long electrodes to make it work with her long hair.  I don't like how tight sticking into her neck I have to make these electrodes to make it work.  If your dog will get big, I'd forget it and get a real fence.  The wire is only buried about 3-inches so it is easy to bury under grass with a flat spade.  Just lift up the sod and push the wire under as you work along.  I had to cut a groove across my driveway with a diamond saw to imbed the wire across.  If you think your dog will stay in, I can recommend [url]www.radiofence.com[/url].  They are experts in these systems and were cheaper even with shipping.  They also give advice and sell parts.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with MonkeyGrip, they sort of work.

I put one in to counter a Weimeriner(sp is WRONG) that wouldn't stay out of the flower beds.

This was inside a regular block wall.

She still tested it regularly, and when the batts died, so did all my plants.

It is a diy job, maybe 1/2 day to install on a small backyard, mostly invilves burying the wire, which is thin and damages easily.

Training is the real key, they have to believe that the fence and all beyond it hold white hot pain.

If your dog is smart enough to learn that it stops hurting on the other side, it is useless.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If your dog is smart enough to learn that it stops hurting on the other side, it is useless.
View Quote

H'mmm,,, Most Labs are pretty smart. The last one I had figured out where the garage door opener button was and decided to smack it until it opened and he got out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
LMFAO @ Waldo!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a Radiofence unit for around 9yrs. It works great on my Yellow Lab. When she was in training and got zapped the first time it scared the crap out of her. Had to show her she could go up to the flags without getting hurt. She has ran threw it only once, just after the training period. When she was younger she would go to the boundry alot which used up batterys. Now we don't even have it on, she just goes outside with her collar on.
I used a old round pizza cutter to cut into the lawn to bury the wire. That is the hardest part.
About 6 yrs ago it got hit by lightning, I called Radiofence and they sent me to a dealer in my state and they gave me a newer unit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My golden would just run right through it.  She got way to excited to think, and bolted right through.  Then it was a problem getting her back in.

I'd say it would would with lower metabolism dogs, like: beagles, bulldogs, and pomerainians.  Hell, I'd like to see a pom go near one, but just for laughs!  (sorry)

Larger more agressive dogs, (my favorite), will just blast right through.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent $90 and three afternoons to train my lab not to step out of our yard. I got the E-trainer collar from Cabella's. I put her on a long rope, and strapped on the collar. In addition, I splashed some water on her neck. It helps with the hair vs. electrode mentioned earlier in the thread (think "The Green mile").
When she steps into "bad dog" territory, shock the shit out of her and drag her back into good dog land.
She'll get the message.
After that it'll take once a month or so to keep her fresh. I just let her out and stand at the kitchen sink while watching her out the window. (even better when its raining)
I know what time the neighbor walks her dog (enticement to leave the yard) and when my dog even _thinks_ about stepping onto the pavement, I give her the pain. It works, but it takes patience. The payoff is that I won't see my dog splatted on the pavement. To me she is worth it.
She gives me 110% and I'll do the same for her.
CAUTION: Use common sense on when you administer the correction!!! You can seriously f*ck your dogs head up if you don't!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]

This isn't sounding good. There is no way I want to deal with the cost of a chain link fence. A Lab will defeat that in about a week anyway. (been there, done that)
What are my options????
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
We did this ourselves for our shepard collie mix. We put in over 2200', in two days by hand. Then we found out how easy it was to weld up a little piece of metal to the back of a yard tractor and just use it to cut a groove through the yard. HE only ran through the fence once and that was to get to me beacuse he wanted to go on the walk too. I beat the sh!# out of him and drug him back through the fence to where he was supposed to be. Once he was were he was supposed to be, then I told him it was OK. The first shock of the collar was pretty painful and he knew he ddin'y want to go near the enge of the yard. The fence hasn't worked for over a year after getting struck by lightning. but he still won't go near it. If he did I would severely punish him. Training is by far more important than the fence itself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Ahh, you made your own wire plow [BD] I was thinking of that. I'd really hate to see him get splattered on the road, as he's got  more personality than most of the people I work with [%|]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top