Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2012 9:22:48 AM EDT
http://www.dailycommercial.com/News/LakeCounty/010412shield

It may have looked like they were ready for war or some deranged person looking for his late Social Security benefits.
But it was only Federal Protective Service officers with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who were conducting a random training operation early Tuesday morning when they surprisingly showed up at the Social Security Administration office in downtown Leesburg.

With their blue and white SUVs circled around the Main Street office, at least one official was posted on the door with a semiautomatic rifle, randomly checking identifications. And other officers, some with K-9s, sifted through the building.

"I thought someone was upset about not getting there check," said Laura Kelly, who took a friend to the office on Tuesday.

more at link
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
So, suspension of the fourth amendment is ok, as long as its a "training excercise?"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I am ok with this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
so what happens if you refuse to show ID during training?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking for illegals?  Registering them to vote?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
there check?

Please fire that reporter and his editor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm wondering that as well. I guess they just assume (correctly, unfortunately) that the sheep coming to the SS office to suckle from the government teat will just comply without hesitation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
What? Poor people on social security have ID cards?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]

"I thought someone was upset about not getting there check," said Laura Kelly, who took a friend to the office on Tuesday.

OH damn.  I've caught a case of the nazi.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what kind of realistic training they got by targeting an office in that particular area? That would have been a milk run.

Note to self: Write letter to DHS asking them kick off an "Exercise"  in Southern California one of these mornings. They better get there around 5:30am, that is when the line usually starts filling up outside.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Sharp looking JBT outfits.  

Did they all go AirSofting after the 'exercise'?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Fyi... Title 41 of the CFR states that all persons entering a federal facility may be subject to search or required to provide id.

The CFR is posted in the entry of all federal buildings. I guess if you don't like that, use the phone. :/
What do you think happens when they goto the SSA window? They have to provide proof of id for privacy reasons.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The government can demand proof of ID to enter the Social Security office, but demanding positive ID of prospective voters is discrimination?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fyi... Title 41 of the CFR states that all persons entering a federal facility may be subject to search or required to provide id.

The CFR is posted in the entry of all federal buildings. I guess if you don't like that, use the phone. :/
What do you think happens when they goto the SSA window? They have to provide proof of id for privacy reasons.

It's not a big leap, then, for their next "training excercise" to be at a post office.

Maybe they could start a new program, have regular checkpoints at post offices, to keep their agents trained up.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Did they catch any illegals applying for a Social Security card?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The government can demand proof of ID to enter the Social Security office, but demanding positive ID of prospective voters is discrimination?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They train you how to have your ID for when shit gets real

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#17]
papers please......
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK. What happens if I approach, they demand ID, and I just turn around and come back the next day when the goon squad is gone?

I could not pointlessly piss this much money away if I had a nuclear-powered incinerator and a railroad full of Benjamins.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, suspension of the fourth amendment is ok, as long as its a "training excercise?"

What part of the 4th Amendment protects the right to get a check from the gov't without producing ID?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The Border Patrol should be checking IDs at the SS office.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK. What happens if I approach, they demand ID, and I just turn around and come back the next day when the goon squad is gone?

I could not pointlessly piss this much money away if I had a nuclear-powered incinerator and a railroad full of Benjamins.

Nothing. You would return, where a contact security officer would check any bags/packages for weapons, you would go to the ssa window and SHE would check your id. Not a big deal. Or IS it! Dum dum dummmmm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a big leap, then, for their next "training excercise" to be at a post office.

Maybe they could start a new program, have regular checkpoints at post offices, to keep their agents trained up.

post office isn't a federal building

It sure has a whole lot of signs that cite federal statutes, and a big old title of its own in the CFR covering property owned/leased by the USPS, for not being a federal building. And there sure are some examples out there of people - including USPS employees - getting convicted for carrying guns there or even having them in their cars on postal property.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. All I can do is laugh now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am assuming you get "training" in the federal legal system.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am assuming you get "training" in the federal legal system.

Yes, actually. It takes place in the FEMA concentration camp under Denver Intl Airport, where they make you shout "four more years", and "just say no to wolverines!"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did they catch any illegals with a Social Security card?

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Truth right here.

.gov never met a program they didn't like.

Nice public display of force BTW. Maybe they were practicing their response to a bomb threat made by right wing, white, Christian militants like those dangerous Sipsey Street guys..
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#30]
An old friend who used to be on the SWAT team told me they periodically trained with Army guys here in KC.  They would all be in civvies and go here and there lurking and preying for a few days.

I forgot to ask him if they were practicing arrests or assassinations.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd be rather vocal in my contempt of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#32]
More prisoner training for citizens.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
there check?

Please fire that reporter and his editor.

I'm wondering if they'll post my comment.  Probably not however since I named myself Someone who knows the difference in "they're", "there", and "their"

Still... Seriously?  That made it by the editor?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#34]
When hyper inflation stabs the poor getting checks, the SSA will be a mad house.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#35]
They should do that at the Glendale, CA office. It would scare the hell out of the Armenian mafia wannabes and Messican illegals.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How about at the border.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When hyper inflation stabs the poor getting checks, the SSA will be a mad house.

That at least explains the drill involving plate carriers and M4s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Why do this in only one place? Any reports of it happening in other places.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I had occasion to visit a SSA office a couple months ago.I had to return to my truck and leave my pocket knife there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Don't waste the chance.

Give 'em a false ID and get a free trip to Mexico.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about at the border.

That too.  How about the BP closes the Border and INS can check ID's at the SS office.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#42]
My money at work.  Things like this make unemployment seem like a decent option.  At least if you are unemployed you aren't paying as much for stuff like this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Wonder how folks would feel if they DHS set up check points in front of gun shops?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh, the 4th amendment doesn't apply at Federal Buildings. Check.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll bet money that everyone of them took an oath to protect the Constitution.  If you think that LEO of any type 'will do the right thing' during a SHTF situation, sad to say, 'don't think so'.  You, Citizen are on your own.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Right. If you say training, joint training, or terror, then anything one might dream up is green lighted. It's the 'fuck you and the constitution you rode in on' amendment.

Good thing Ron Paul has nothing coming. His foreign policy was a mother fucker.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I had occasion to visit a SSA office a couple months ago.I had to return to my truck and leave my pocket knife there.

They wouldn't give you a ticket and hold it while you went in? That's kind of prickish.    

I took a stapler in once and boy were they pissed about that. "What do you have this for?" "To Staple" "What are you planning to staple?"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top