Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 7:32:53 PM EDT
Does anyone know where or who I should go to in order to get an updated one?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You're supposed to get it right the first time before you are out.
I've never heard of one being redone outside of added in durring subsequent service.
Keep the originals and/or get copies of permanent records.  If your called up again they can be added to continuation of DD-214.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]

If I fill that out, will they mail me a new DD-214 with all the corrections?  On my current dd214, it shows I only have a national defense ribbon and sea service deployment.  However, on MarineOnline my record shows 7 total which including combat action ribbon and various others.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're supposed to get it right the first time before you are out.
I've never heard of one being redone outside of added in durring subsequent service.

Yeah because nobody ever rates more awards after their EAS.  

My two highest awards came after my EAS.  One was mailed to me.  One was presented by a MOH recipient following my return from Iraq after being recalled to active duty.  Following that recall deployment and return to civ div I rated a bunch more awards too. Of course there was never a formal presentation for those.

Send in one of these along with copies of documentation (like orders, SRB entries or award citations/certificates) proving you rate the awards.  Then wait a long time, like 6 month to a year.  Eventually they will mail you a DD-215.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless it is something pretty high, who cares?  I had some left off mine and it has never mattered once.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless it is something pretty high, who cares?  I had some left off mine and it has never mattered once.

This.

My Silver Star is not on my 214 and I've never had any issues.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Employers only will read 3 things on your 214:  sections 1, 3 and 24.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:.
Employers only will read 3 things on your 214:  sections 1, 3 and 24.

Depends who you work for. Section 14 might be highly relevant.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
hell my DD214 doesn't have the right awards either.  i don't have credit for some of my sea-service ribbons... but they credit me for an extra 'good conduct' medal.  ... hah.

(and yes I told my chain of command. they ignored it and let the medal stand so fuck it... I don't claim it on my resumes though)
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm missing a few. It happens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I missed a little something when I got out, too.  About 15 years ago I asked for and got the Addendum 215 Made.  It was a whole lot of nothing, but you never know.  Like the saying goes, it's better to have than need and not have and need.  You never know when some Chairborne Commando says that You Didn't Earn That (Ribbon, award, whatever) and you can't prove you DID earn it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I missed a little something when I got out, too.  About 15 years ago I asked for and got the Addendum 215 Made.  It was a whole lot of nothing, but you never know.  Like the saying goes, it's better to have than need and not have and need.  You never know when some Chairborne Commando says that You Didn't Earn That (Ribbon, award, whatever) and you can't prove you DID earn it.

I just saved all my award orders/certificates in one place. Problem solved for awards not on my 214.

How long does a 215 take to get processed?
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
When i got my dd214 and i looked at the awards and i saw it was all jacked up, i was standing at 11th marines RPAC and told the stypid pog ass admin clerk my awards were fugged up and im not signing that untill you fix it, they simply told me "your not discharged until you sign it and it will take a few weeks to fix it" so i said screw that, my truck is packed, i have a beard, im on terminal leave, fuck it. So i signed it and it has not affected me at all. All i cared about was my CAR and my iraqi campaign, gwot service, gwot expiditionary, good conduct, and my stars on my sea service. None of the other crap matters much unless you have big stuff like a bronze star or PH or something. Its next to impossible to fix anything now ... Our asses are not gummit property anymore so they have no obligations to fix anything that a lazy ass admin jerkoff POG air conditioning commando f'd up in the first place. Lol, any how, i wish you lots of luck getting your awards corrected man. Good luck and god speed with that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
My 214 was missing a few things when I ETS'ed years ago, but to be honest, when you're clearing post, sitting in the outprocessing center going from one station to another, and someone says "check this for accuracy", you almost don't care anymore. It's once you're out that you realize things like "how the hell did they miss my xxx", etc... It's all correctable, but it is a pain in the ass. The real fun begins when you start college and the VA lost your records for the US Army College Fund...
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
My DD-214 doesn't have most of my awards either.  It also has my rifle qualification wrong and totally missed pistol qualification.  Funny thing is, the dd-214 worksheet that they built it from has pretty much everything on there...

It been almost 20 years since I got out.  Can't say that the missing info has affected me in any way.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
TAG for info - I ETS'd in a pretty unconventional way, so I wasn't able to make sure it was done right. In fact, I wasn't even there

The part where my signature is required is stamped with "Solider not available to sign".  I'm not too worried about it but the perfectionist in me would like it fixed at some point.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I would have let it go if it wasn't a big deal.  One DD214 said all I got was basically a national defense ribbon.  While what's on my record on MarineOnline is combat action ribbon, sea service deployment, global war on terrorism expeditionary, etc....

Basically one said you did nothing, went nowhere in my whole military career vs the other showing I went places and actually fought in combat where rounds come back at me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Having been through this process several times over the many years I was in.  I have about 6 different DD-214's. You get one every time you are mobilized.  Here is the basic process. You have three years from the date of discharge to submit requests for corrections. After that time frame, your request has to include why you think it should be changed.  The request forms and process are on the web, and you can submit electronically.  Alternatively, you can go through your local Senator or Representative Office to request the change.  They are very responsive to Congressional requests.   The first thing I recommend is you go to ARPERCEN and request your records (Also can be done online). Once you have a copy of your records you can then submit the request.  For the army folks, if an award is listed on your 2-1, then that is considered evidence of award an and they will either issue you a DD-215 or an updated DD214.  At the current time the ARPERCEN policy is to issue two DD-215s to correct a DD214, then they will issue a updated and corrected DD214.  It will take about 6 months from the time of submission to getting a corrected or updated copy. By the way if there is a change in regulations authorizing additional awards, they will not automatically update your record , you have to submit a request.

Now as to whether or not you should get your record updated or not, that is up to the individual, but I recommend that if you have missing awards or incorrect information to get it  corrected.  Here is why first and foremost you earned those awards whether for valor or for simply for being there. You spent the time and did the job. It needs to be documented somewhere and somehow.    I can assure that somewhere in the future you will tell somebody what you did or what you received and they will call bullshit. A government record puts the stop to that crap.  In fact a couple of days ago on AR-15.com I mentioned I had served for 40 years in the army, I was called a liar by a couple of individuals. I sent them a copy of my paperwork an asked them to apologize publicly which they haven't.

The second reason is that someday you will gone and you may have kids or grand kids that wonder what you did with your life and what kind of person you were. Those folks may want to research and see what you did in the military and you want the record to accurately reflect what you did.  I have my fathers DD-214 from World War II, and it is interesting to read his records and see what kind of soldier he was.

SGM Mark Pierce (RET)
US ARMY 1970-2010
11B,  18B, 18F, and 18Z

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top