Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:57:20 AM EDT
All things being equal (price and quality) are there advantages to purchasing an M1 from the DCM vs. purchasing from a private party?  The private party purchase would be... well, private.  I would also be able to inspect the weapon, etc.  However, I've always felt that there was something "special" about getting an M1 directly from the Federal arsenal.  Your thoughts please.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I like nothing better than tell people that the US Government sent me a military rifle for being such a good patriotic citizen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find someone to let go of an M1 for the same price...

The DCM will also inspect and should at least check the headspace on rifles they send out.  If you buy one from a private party, you'd have to get it checked out, or at least get a NO-GO and a FIELD gauge to check headspace with.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
- better than a gun show reweld

- may have been used by your grandfather on the beaches of Normandy or Iwo Jima

- you save one from melt-down

- they ship it to your house!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like nothing better than tell people that the US Government sent me a military rifle for being such a good patriotic citizen.

I like that response.  Those are pretty much my thoughts too.  The govt. won't sell those to just anybody.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the CMP rifle. Those rifles are in a fairly decent shape, and the qualifying matches are kind of find if you've never shot in match. To qualify for a rifle, the score in the match is not nessary, just that you actually shot the match.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All things being equal (price and quality) are there advantages to purchasing an M1 from the DCM vs. purchasing from a private party?  The private party purchase would be... well, private.  I would also be able to inspect the weapon, etc.  However, I've always felt that there was something "special" about getting an M1 directly from the Federal arsenal.  Your thoughts please.  

First of all, it is the CMP now, not the DCM.

Secondly, as the others have stated, you don't have to worry about welded receivers (they are not re-welds, as they were never welded to begin with) or the gun being stolen.

Also, if you do have problems with it (which I doubt you will) the CMP will be more than happy to get it straightened out to YOUR satisfaction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
- better than a gun show reweld
- may have been used by your grandfather on the beaches of Normandy or Iwo Jima
- you save one from melt-down
- they ship it to your house!!

+1  
x5 (I love Garands!)  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, it is the CMP now, not the DCM.

Secondly, as the others have stated, you don't have to worry about welded receivers (they are not re-welds, as they were never welded to begin with) or the gun being stolen.

Also, if you do have problems with it (which I doubt you will) the CMP will be more than happy to get it straightened out to YOUR satisfaction.

First,

It was always CMP.  DCM stands for Director - Civilian Marksmanship:  The Host of the National Matches.

Second:

The CMP has been good to me:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=25274

It used to be named the Department of Civilian Marksmanship and was a part of the Department of the Army as evidenced by my paperwork that came with my first DCM rifle back years ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't think of anyone who would sell a CMP garand for what they paid for it. I would expect at least a 50% markup if the seller was feeling generous.

i can. the guy at berea that would have sold me his cmp dane/var for the money he had init...$350. he walked around all day with no takers.

SHIT, I would jumped on that one..........
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh and in reply to the thread author, YES CMP if you can, I have had a great experiance with them, 2 weeks total time, form mailing in my papers, to recieving the rifle, and SWEET RIFLE IT IS...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Start to finish, what would be the ETA on one of these?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you can find someone to let go of an M1 for the same price...

Without putting the muzzle to their head.

It's god damn ludacris. Gun show dealers buy M1s from the CMP and sell them alongside NM Springfields at the SAME PRICE... Therefore, they're making over a $600 profit.

Screw private Garand purchases... deals aren't near as good as CMP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top