Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2004 7:07:54 AM EST
So my mother in law sent my wife and I a crock pot (why I have no idea)....

Any of you have some recipe suggestions? Simple stuff.

My wife laughed when I said I'd be able to find some good recipes here. Little does she know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:11:36 AM EST
Don't underestimate the crock pot. It can make excellent soups, roasts, italian beef, and the list goes on. I use mine about 4 times a month. I think there are crock pot cook books out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:12:43 AM EST
You can whip up some good vittles in a crock pot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:14:05 AM EST
Throw any left over meat and veggies into the pot. Fill with water and cook for 12 hours.

It will be the best damn soup you ever have....plus it make the house smell GREAT!!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:15:09 AM EST
Oh, and a crock pot is a great way to soak your feet in hot water. You know, callouses and bunions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:17:10 AM EST
I have a container of frozen spaghetti sauce in the crock pot right now. Put it in on "low" when I leave, and it's piping hot, not burned, when I get home.

I love the crock pot, especially for reheating.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:18:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:18:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 7:18:57 AM EST by Cleatus]

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Oh, and a crock pot is a great way to soak your feet in hot water. You know, callouses and bunions.

and you can make soup with the leftover water

mmm french bunion soup....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:18:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Throw any left over meat and veggies into the pot. Fill with water beer and cook for 12 hours.

It will be the best damn soup you ever have....plus it make the house smell GREAT!!

SGtar15

Fixed it for you!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:19:24 AM EST
You can make some wicked chili in a crock pot (let to cook on low all day). And when I mean chili I dont mean that wimpy sissy stuff with beans. And it got to have at least 3 diced habanaro pepers. Also a cup of jack!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:07 AM EST
What brand do you guys recommend? I need a new one but don't really know what to look for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:45 AM EST
If you like pork and saurkraut, the crock pot is the only way to go. Throw in your pork loin, your saurkraut, top the kraut with brown sugar and cook it on low for about 8 hours The roast literaly falls apart. Excellent for stews and beef roasts as well. I also use it for deer roasts. I cook them slow then pull them and add barbecue sauce it makes awsome sandwiches. Sausage and peppers, chili, the list goes on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:22:20 AM EST

Yes - great for stew and gumbo. Tell her especially on Sundays. Assuming you go, you can start it up before you go to church and then have it read yfor when you return!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:24:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bailey:
What brand do you guys recommend? I need a new one but don't really know what to look for.

I like the West Bend myself. They make a nice 4 quart with an insulated carrier or for big jobs they have a 6 quart. Rival is good as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:27:13 AM EST
My wife makes and awesome homemade beef stew.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:29:57 AM EST
www.crock-pot.com
They got a few decent recipies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:31:42 AM EST
I swear, a crockpot is one of the best things going, especially if you and your wife both work. Throw
it in the crock in the AM before you head out the door, you come home, the house smells great, and
dinner is just about ready.

A few things:
Pork chops & sourkraut - thrown two cans of kraut in the bottom, put a couple of thick chops on top,
sprinkle with mild paprika for flavor. Chops fall apart that evening.

Skinless chicken breast w/ abt 1/2" of water, COAT w/ a good BBQ sauce. Sauce might be bit burnt
around the edges that evening, but the water, sauce & juice from the chicken makes a good gravy
to spoon over the meat. Good with rice.

Chili - get it mixed up and cooking before you go to bed. Excellent when you get home the next
evening.

Roaster chicken - put the whole chicken in the crock, coat w/ butter & sprinkle with granulated
garlic. Abt 1/2" of water in bottom to keep it from burning at first. That evening, it'll be a bit hard to
get it out of the crock in one piece, as it'll be 'fall off the bone' tender. Skim the fat off the broth that's
in the crock (or not if you're not counting calories) and it's a great gravy base.

Just a few ideas.... now I have to go eat!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:32:01 AM EST
Take a good beef roast, put it in the pot w/ a pack of italian seasoning, and several bananna peppers. Cover with water. Cook all day. Make italian roast beef sanwiches......mmmmmm!

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:42:16 AM EST
Drunk Dogs

Three packages of hot dogs/frankfurters/whatever you call them where you live, cut into 1-inch pieces
Ketchup
Mustard (yellow works better than brown)
Whiskey

The proportions vary by batch, but it's something like 1.5 cups of ketchup, 0.5 cups of mustard, and 1 cup of whiskey. With the frankfurter pieces in your crock-pot (you don't think I'll say "hot dog pieces", do you?), the "sauce" should generously coat each piece, but shouldn't submerge them. Put in crock-pot and cook all day.

Jack is a good whiskey if you want a smoky flavor....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:48:49 AM EST
There is not a tough piece of meat you can't make tender in a crock pot.
I make a lot of various game in them and never had a complaint.

It even works on snapping turtle

GM
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:03:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
I
A few things:
Pork chops & sourkraut - thrown two cans of kraut in the bottom, put a couple of thick chops on top,
sprinkle with mild paprika for flavor. Chops fall apart that evening.8D]

OMFG!!!
My wife makes this and I can't believe I can eat that much pork and kraut in one sitting. Absolutely one of my top 3 crock pot dishes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:06:16 AM EST
POT-ROAST
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:19:01 AM EST
Take a whole chicken, cut up carrots, red potatoes, celery, fresh garlic cloves (3-4), white wine, and some rosmary.

Put the veggies in the bottom of the pot, put the chicken on top, pour in enough wine to cover veggies, but not chicken, then sprinkle the rosemary and salt on top of chicken. Cook on low for 12 hours. Yummy!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:23:05 AM EST
The crock pot is an awesome cooking device, especially for bacheors and wild game.

Finding that venison a little too gamey, but all the recipes you see to eliminate the gaminess are a little too thought/labor intensive for you?

Take a roast, 4 cups of water and 4 bags of Liptons Onion Soup, dump it all in a crockpot, cover, set on medium and go to work.

Come home 8 hours later and the roast is falling apart and tastes no different than beef.

ANY meat can be cooked in a crockpot and you have a HOME COOKED MEAL when you get home from work.

Easy clean up. What more can you ask for, except having a blonde with big tits that can suck-start a B52 bomber do it all for you?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:25:27 AM EST
Roast.
Onion soup mix
carrots
potatos

Toss in crock pot. Turn on low. Come back in about 5-6 hours.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:00:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 3:00:45 PM EST by Gopher]
Pork chops or chicken. Put in a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup white wine, a little red pepper, and top with a little dried mint. Make a gravy out of the juice and serve with rice.

Place your potatoes in the bottom, put a beef or pork roast on top, top with carrots, onions, peppers, celery and cook on low all day. None better.

Makes good red beans too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:26:38 PM EST
Betty Crocker is now making several different Slow Cooker Helper meals. Just add meat and you're done.

We've tried a couple of them (beef stew, pot roast) with deer and they are delish.

One thing I like to do is take a package of deer steaks, two cans of cream of mushroom soup, about two cups of water, and a couple of onions sliced up into rings. Combine and set the crock pot on low for about 7 or 8 hours. Maybe add a little worstershire sauce at the end.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:41:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bailey:

I have a Rival; it turns itself off when cooking and turns on a warmer. It also has the removable pot which makes washing a lot easier.

You can cook almost anything in a crock pot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:50:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 4:52:32 PM EST by Lightning_P38]
Top Top