Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:49 PM EDT
I'm not looking for too spicy or anything. Think southern, sort of. Also think cheap, and think, " this guy can't cook for shit, so he's using a crock pot."

Just looking for what to do with it, and maybe some cheap fixins to go with it that are easy to do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
a crock pot? if your looking to make turkey stew then de-bone and remove skin and make a soup or something but i'm not sure how a whole bird is gonna work in a crock pot. to many bones and the skin is never gonna break down or crisp up. Floppy soggy skin is gross

watch this and re-think your plan

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
a crock pot? if your looking to make turkey stew then de-bone and remove skin and make a soup or something but i'm not sure how a whole bird is gonna work in a crock pot. to many bones and the skin is never gonna break down or crisp up. Floppy soggy skin is gross

OK then. I suppose I'll just do a roast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See above...I posted the good eats on how to roast a turkey. Its not hard.

Unless you mean pot roast then fuck yea. i love pot roast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I mean pot roast. And potatoes, toss some onions in the water, and season up the roast a bit. Cook some rice and stuff to go with it. I can do that sort of thing. My oven isn't the most consistent thing, ( it's really old, like 1959 Hotpoint old ) doesn't maintain a temp as well as it should, and the broiler doesn't work. I don't have a working meat thermometer either. My dad, and my mom knew it's little quirks and were could cook in it. One day I'll have it fixed up, It's one of those made into a set of custom cabinet types.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My oven isn't the most consistent thing, ( it's really old, like 1959 Hotpoint old ) doesn't maintain a temp as well as it should, and the broiler doesn't work. I don't have a working meat thermometer either. My dad, and my mom knew it's little quirks and were could cook in it. One day I'll have it fixed up, It's one of those made into a set of custom cabinet types.

In the meantime a Rival Roaster is $25 now, and you can do a whole turkey in it.  Mine is consistent enough I can bake bread in it.

While a whole turkey is too big, I've done just the turkey breast in the crock pot.  I just sprinkle on some poultry seasoning and put chopped onion in the bottom, with a few slices of raw bacon on top so the pork fat helps keep it moist.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I mean pot roast. And potatoes, toss some onions in the water, and season up the roast a bit. Cook some rice and stuff to go with it. I can do that sort of thing. My oven isn't the most consistent thing, ( it's really old, like 1959 Hotpoint old ) doesn't maintain a temp as well as it should, and the broiler doesn't work. I don't have a working meat thermometer either. My dad, and my mom knew it's little quirks and were could cook in it. One day I'll have it fixed up, It's one of those made into a set of custom cabinet types.

Do you have a grill? If your sitting on a bird you can debone that bitch and make grilled turkey? but a good pot roast is a feast so i support that plan.. I have one of these for hams but its designed for a turkey or other roasting applications if your oven blows.

got it at Kmart several years ago

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I might have one of those sure enough. Not positive. My dad had a stroke four years ago, and I moved in just before he had the final one. He passed over the summer. He was the one that did all the cooking when my mom got where she couldn't, but she passed in 2004. I don't know what does and doesn't work around here.

I have found a couple of old early 1900s cookbooks, and I'm trying to find some of our family recipes that were passed down, especially the stickie recipe. I found Grandma Rabbs online, and it's very close, maybe even the same, since both my grandma and that lady were from close by towns in NC and born around 1900.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just watched the videos. Thanks for posting them. I think something like that will need to wait until Christmas. I need to find out what I actually have here, and get some of the ingredients and things as well.

I believe that the roast may be my ticket for this year's Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just watched the videos. Thanks for posting them. I think something like that will need to wait until Christmas. I need to find out what I actually have here, and get some of the ingredients and things as well.

I believe that the roast may be my ticket for this year's Thanksgiving.

I'm sure it will be fantastic. Sorry to hear about your folks.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have found a couple of old early 1900s cookbooks...

I have one that was passed down from my grandmother.  It's the first one I reach for when I need a recipe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately, me cooking anything in any manner for Thanksgiving has fallen through. I do however, have three male friends, and two female friends that are bringing me plates tomorrow. The females are cooking cakes and pastries, and hopefully one is making me banana pudding. mmmm
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
damn, got me thinking now. i cook southwestern pork chops in the crockpot all the time now im thinking of trying it with turkey. a turkey breast cut in to thick "medallions" then covered with my normal SW stuff i bet would be DAMN GOOD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top