Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 6:29:05 AM EDT
Ok, just a random thought as I'm sitting here de-fuxing my network.. Why is it SO goddamn hard to find a decent slice of pizza more than 100 miles from either coast?  I've had a slice just about everywhere (ok, representative samples..) and it seems that it gets worse the farther one gets from the coast.  Midwest pizza is rarely better than a slice of wonderbread with a kraft slice and some ketchup.  PA pizza is (with a noteable exception or two) friggin horrendous.  Now I'm not talking bizzare toppings, you want brains and eggs on your pie, that's life.. I'm talking fake cheese, crust reminiscent of either tire rubber or sheetrock, and sauce with enough sugar to drop a diabetic dead.  The worst I've had was in West Virginia, where the only thing reminiscent of pizza that came with my order was the big white box with stereotypical italian chef.  Everything after that was so bad the military wouldn't drop it as emergency aid rations.  So what's the deal guys, WTF is up with the crappy pizza???
(*disclaimer: Author resides in NJ, where a good slice is pretty damn easy to come by.  Also, author is 45mins from NYC, the center of the Pizza Universe, and is firmly convinced that Chicago Pizza is only explainable as a joke on the Windy City perpetuated by early mobsters and/or Chef Boyardee).
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Best pizza I had was in western NY.  A few good places here, not that many.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with you. I look forward to everytime I head in to NYC knowing that we'll end up having pizza. I never liked the Chicago pan pizza. I live in CT and alot of pizza places near me suck! BobK
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually make my own pizza when I want it. It is better then anything I can buy in my area.
You are right Winston. The best pizza I ever had was in NJ.

There's a place in South Nashville that is run by an Italian couple that moved here from the Bronx that is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Good Pizza (as a former Brooklynite I know Pizza) is in direct relationship to the presence or absence of Ethnic Italians.

Here in VA we had Greeks not Italians in most pizzarias but they sold out to arabs who use halal meat-WTF!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I live in CT and alot of pizza places near me suck! BobK

If you live in CT and can't find good pizza then you must fall into one of these two catagories:
1) You are deaf, blind, and can't smell

2) You are from one of those places that think 'Pizza Hut' is good pizza (like those midwest wonderbread/ketchup things).

Considering Sal's and Pepe's is in New Haven (world famous and were in the 10 ten pizza places in the country in the book of lists for YEARS).  Many of their employees have started their own business in CT.  Not to mention those that have come up from NYC.

I have trouble finding BAD pizza in CT.

Now come to Maryland, it gets tough to find GOOD pizza (tough but not impossible).

But a guy I knew said this (and I think there is some wisdom in it).  "Sex is like Pizza, even when its bad - its still pretty good".
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Finding good pizza in Alabama is like finding good fried green tomatoes in New York. It doesn't happen very often. We have one or two really good pizza joints but it is not the true "New York" pizza. It is like eating at a really good Mexican restaurant in Mexico city is really different from eating at a really good Mexican restaurant in Des Moines. The Mexican place in Des Moines ain't really Mexican but the food is good.

Just like pizza in Alabama would not be considered real pizza by my Northern brethren, but it is pretty damn good all the same. But just remember, you guys can't get the cornbread crust pizza with collard greens and ham on it. Now that is some good shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Just like pizza in Alabama would not be considered real pizza by my Northern brethren, but it is pretty damn good all the same. But just remember, you guys can't get the cornbread crust pizza with collard greens and ham on it. Now that is some good shit.

Whooooo, now that I'd try in a heartbeat.. Heavy on the ham!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Il Ritrovo in Sheboygan is about the best pizza you can get this side of the Atlantic.

True to spec Naples style pizza.

www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/vpn_frames-index.htm

Antica Pizzeria LA, CA
Coppola-Niebaum Cafe' Palo Alto, CA
Punch Neapolitan Pizza Minneapolis, MN
Naples 45 New York, New York (Met Life Bldg.)
Regina Margherita 516 Lincoln Ave, Pittsburgh, PA La Pizza Fresca NY, NY
Il Pizzaiolo Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh), PA
Il Ritrovo Sheboygan, WI
Two Amy's Washington, D.C.
Bertucci's (Chain in NE US)
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Alaska...  Some of out flourishing pizza places are barely edible.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Best pizza I've ever had was at a Mom&Pop place in rural Minnesota.  But that was 20 years ago.  I went back recently, the place was under new management and the pizza was no good.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have to agree with you. I look forward to everytime I head in to NYC knowing that we'll end up having pizza. I never liked the Chicago pan pizza. I live in CT and alot of pizza places near me suck! BobK

infidel, the best pizza in the world is found on Wooster Street in New Haven, and you don't have to enter into the world of Hitlery to get it. Most pizza places in CT are greek, which is a different style of pizza. While not my  favorite, it can be very good. You can find decent pizza outside of New Haven, for example in Greater Hartford there's First and Last and Lunas, which make a very good italian pie. But the best pizza is found at either Pepes or Sallys, on Wooster St.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't have pizza, I'm on a diet.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in CT and alot of pizza places near me suck! BobK

If you live in CT and can't find good pizza then you must fall into one of these two catagories:
1) You are deaf, blind, and can't smell

2) You are from one of those places that think 'Pizza Hut' is good pizza (like those midwest wonderbread/ketchup things).

Considering Sal's and Pepe's is in New Haven (world famous and were in the 10 ten pizza places in the country in the book of lists for YEARS).  Many of their employees have started their own business in CT.  Not to mention those that have come up from NYC.

I have trouble finding BAD pizza in CT.

Now come to Maryland, it gets tough to find GOOD pizza (tough but not impossible).

But a guy I knew said this (and I think there is some wisdom in it).  "Sex is like Pizza, even when its bad - its still pretty good".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top