Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:48:20 PM EDT
Looks very similar to the original land rovers that are now saught after.

www.crosslander.com/index.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
its romanian, when was the last time a former combloc country made a decent car?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucas electrical? (some of you will get this joke....maybe you have been through the nightmare yourself)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lucas electrical? (some of you will get this joke....maybe you have been through the nightmare yourself)

The prince of darkness!!  

I was going to post that it looks like an older Land Rover or Defender.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to wonder about commie cars. The imported version will have a Ford engine.

It's supposed to be introduced sometime this fall.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
cool. At least the engine is bulletproof
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I thought the crosslander has potential - but if lucas electric is anywhere near it - no way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The prince of darkness!!  

I was going to post that it looks like an older Land Rover or Defender.

The Lord God Ultimate Supreme Being of darkness!!

Someone (not me...I would have a heart attack remembering, should post a thread just about Lucas nightmares!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they do still have a claim to "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas -- inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas -- inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch -- DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings -- SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices -- Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...."

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas-powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner, "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" He replied, "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens anyway!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

The three-position Lucas switch -- DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings -- SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would Lucas [shudder] be involved in the electrical system in these SUVs? They're from Romania, right?

I had two MGBs... Oh, the TRAUMA! I'm scarred for life!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a 69 Norton Commando (ran 12.0s in the 1/4 after some work too).  I kept the Lucas alternator and replaced EVERYTHING else that had anything to do with electricity.

This little truck looks cool.  Might not be too hard to do the same thing.  Maybe the alternator too?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The quality of British automobile technology isn't limited to Lucas...

You know why there are no laptop computers from the UK?

They haven't figured out how to make them drip oil.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The rig is from Romania why would it have to have lucas wiring???
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Just in case some of you are confused, It would absolutely not have any Lucus wiring in it.

It was only mentioned because the vehicle itself appears to be a Land Rover clone.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It's based on the Romanian ARO army jeep.

The concept is interesting. If you could,  would you buy a new production 1970's era 4wd vehicle if it was
inexpensive? Trucks have gotten much more sophisticated over the years, but plenty of people like
the old school trucks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I found some more info on it. Its supposedly due out in september and at about 20K .
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

That one is so corny it's funny.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Ugly!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
The Crosslander has been 'supposed' to debut for several years now. A few people who have ponied up $$$ for deposits or for Franchise dealerships are pretty upset...seems kinda fly-by-night to me.

Too bad, seems like a cool ride.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I had a 1974 MGB I hate that company.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#21]
i thought they were going to be built in brazil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#22]
That was being marketed as an off-road only vehicle in the USA  a few years ago, because it didn't meet safety and emission standards. I wonder if they fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

I saw a post about this a while back.  If it ever makes it over here I would be interested.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Continuing the hijack, Lucas is one of the biggest antilock brake component OEMs for the big manufacturers. There is a high probability that Lucas ABS parts are in any car you've been in in the past 10 years. Think about that, all of you who like me have slaved over british electronics.

Back to the truck under discussion, I think that I read that the military vehicle base was an intentional land rover clone, so comparison with Series 90 ("Defender") models is appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I found some more info on it. Its supposedly due out in september and at about 20K .

Hey, right when my lease is up. Still, I don't want to be a beta-tester for this vehicle, but competition is always good...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
They put the Ford engine (I think it's the V6 truck engine) into the US model to meet US emission standards. That way they don't have to develop and test a US-compliant engine. Their original plan was to use a Romanian diesel, but that didn't pan out. They're doing a dealer intro next week, where they'll show it off to a few people in a low-profile event. They expect to import 6,000 in the last quarter of 2005, and they'll probably have a higher profile event around then.

The ARO was assembled in Brazil and Romania. Brazil gets a lot of assembly work because of protectionist import laws. The Brazilian-assembled ones were supposed to be POSes. I haven't heard anything one way or the other about the Romanian ones, which is from where the US version will be imported.

The theory is that the crosslander will be so simple and basic that even an ex-commie labor force can't screw it up. Sort of like making anvils or AKs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#27]
No they are not Romanian.  The original deisgn is romanian.  These are built in Brazil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#28]
No.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
There was much talk on Discoweb.org about them a year or so ago. One of the guys there saw some of the prototypes.. He said looked like crap. But there are being offered with a international 2.8 ltr diesel motor. And no lucas…

God I hope my rover didn’t here me.. I want to get home…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top