Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
Alright if you see this thread Im trying to move from MD to CO for a job i was offered that i really want to take, but the only thing keeping my here is my apartment lease.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=227731

The only thing that says anything about Terminating the Lease is the following statment, in my rental lease

" Lessee further covenants and agrees that upon expiration of said term, or upon termination of the lease for any cause, he will at once peacefully surrender and deliver up the whole of the above described premised together with all improvements thereon to the lessor,  his agents and assigns.  Provided that any rent shall be due and unpaid or premises abandoned, deserted or vacated, that it shall be lawful for the said lessor, his agents and attorneys, successors, or assigns to take any legal action  e.g.  re-enter, repossess, evict, distrain, or any action in compliance with the public local laws and State of Maryland Laws.  Upon Re-entry this lease shall terminate.  In the event of re-entry by the lessor as herein provided, lessee shall be liable for damages to said lessor for all loss sustained."

so what dose this mean.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Alright if you see this thread Im trying to move from MD to CO for a job i was offered that i really want to take, but the only thing keeping my here is my apartment lease.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=227731

The only thing that says anything about Terminating the Lease is the following statment, in my rental lease

" Lessee further covenants and agrees that upon expiration of said term, or upon termination of the lease for any cause, he will at once peacefully surrender and deliver up the whole of the above described premised together with all improvements thereon to the lessor,  his agents and assigns.  Provided that any rent shall be due and unpaid or premises abandoned, deserted or vacated, that it shall be lawful for the said lessor, his agents and attorneys, successors, or assigns to take any legal action  e.g.  re-enter, repossess, evict, distrain, or any action in compliance with the public local laws and State of Maryland Laws.  Upon Re-entry this lease shall terminate.  In the event of re-entry by the lessor as herein provided, lessee shall be liable for damages to said lessor for all loss sustained."

so what dose this mean.

My guess:

" JPWAMT agrees that when the lease is up, or upon termination of the lease for any reason, JPWAMT will get the fuck out without causing a commotion despite what improvements JPWAMT made.  If JPWAMT doesn't pay his rent or skips out, the LANDLORD can  take any legal action  e.g.  re-enter, repossess, evict, distrain against JPWAMT,   If LANDLORD comes a knockin' because of above (doesn't pay, skips out)  this lease shall terminate.  If the LANDLORD does, JPWAMT shall be liable for damages to said LANDLORD for all loss sustained. (back rent, future agreed to rent)"
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
well how the hell do i get it terminated cause i want to leave... Ahh,  and not expensive.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
A bunch of loud parties may do the trick......

You could also try being civil telling them you are down on your luck, moving back in with family, and would like to get out of the lease early. Maybe offer to pay a month extra and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well they said i would have to pay the rent untill a new tenat comes or pay 1410 which is what 2 months rent cost,  i might just have to do that.   Cause i really want this job...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
and i already told then about this job i was offered in CO that i really want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Leasing an apartment is like leasing a car.  You agree to pay $X for Y months.   If you leave before then for whatever reason you're still legally obligated for all Y months.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Check with new employer to see if they will pay the "termination fee" for you to get out of the lease. They might just do it or split it with you and then you can leave with no "black marks" on your credit history.

This used to be common many years ago when I last moved states. My new (at that time) employer actually paid all moving expenses and any lease termination fee.

Ask, the worst that they can say is no. Worst case, work with the landlord and try to negotiate a sum that both can live with if possible. These days landlords are quick to file suit in court and try to recover the money and/or put a "black mark" on your credit history that can haunt you for the next 7 years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Im gonna have to say no on this one, but i tryed to see if they would off some type of relocation, and they said they wouldnt.  I might just have to pay, i really want this job, for the type of work and location,  i know if i stay here im gonna regret it...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I really don't see anything in there that says you must pay if you are leaving.  How its written looks more to say that if you DON'T pay you cannot contest eviction and that if you desert before the lease is up you cannot contest payment/retention of any improvements you made to the apartment..  But nothing in there say you must pay if you leave the apartment before the lease is up.

the whole of the above described premised

unless that means "rent" I don't see anything about having to pay the "rent" if you abandon the apartment
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

the whole of the above described premised

unless that means "rent" I don't see anything about having to pay the "rent" if you abandon the apartment

Im interpiting that part as the apartment as a whole, not just giving a room back or something....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]

" Lessee further covenants and agrees that upon expiration of said term, or upon termination of the lease for any cause, he will at once peacefully surrender and deliver up the whole of the above described premised together with all improvements thereon to the lessor,  his agents and assigns.

--you agree that when your lease ends, for any reason, you will give up the place peacefully.

Provided that any rent shall be due and unpaid or premises abandoned, deserted or vacated, that it shall be lawful for the said lessor, his agents and attorneys, successors, or assigns to take any legal action  e.g.  re-enter, repossess, evict, distrain, or any action in compliance with the public local laws and State of Maryland Laws.

--if you move out or stop paying rent, the landlord gets to have the place back.

Upon Re-entry this lease shall terminate.  In the event of re-entry by the lessor as herein provided, lessee shall be liable for damages to said lessor for all loss sustained."

--If you move out or stop paying rent like it said, and the landlord takes it back over, the lease agreement ends. If he has to break a window to get in, you have to pay for it.

so what dose this mean.

--it doesn't say anything about penaties for breaking the lease. My advice is to ask them to let you out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top