Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:13:48 AM EDT
Breaking on FOX .


Looks like he needs our prayers
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:18:18 AM EDT
He didn't make it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:34:02 AM EDT
Rest in peace.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:56:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:20:18 AM EDT

Rest In Peace, Brother.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:16:10 PM EDT
R.I.P. Brother......CO's have one of the most dangerous and thankless jobs in law enforcement.This incident once again proves that fact.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:27:48 PM EDT
Rest In Peace Brother, you are gone but not forgotten

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:30:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:59 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:03:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:15:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:24:50 PM EDT
We must find this woman and bring her and her husband to a swift date with the needle!

Prayers to the family.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:21:32 PM EDT
Rest In Peace Brother
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:41:39 PM EDT
R.I.P. Brother...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:53:28 PM EDT

Hope they find her DRT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:07:55 PM EDT

I hope both are DRT'd
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:05:40 AM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The taxi driver who transported a Tennessee prison inmate and his wife from northern Kentucky to a Columbus motel before they were captured said Thursday that a friend's phone call helped lead authorities to an arrest.

Mike Wagers, a driver for Community Yellow Cab, based in Newport, Ky., said he had no idea he was transporting Jennifer Hyatte and her husband, George, until after he returned to the Cincinnati area on Wednesday. Wagers said he didn't believe their story that they worked for Amway because

they weren't "very pushy about" their products, but he said

cabbies see "all kinds," so he didn't think twice about theirfake story, especially after they paid him $200 in cash for the $185 cab fare.

Authorities said Wednesday that Jennifer Hyatte, 31, shot and killed a correctional officer who was escorting her shackled and handcuffed husband outside the Roane County Courthouse in Kingston, Tenn.

The pair were taken into custody shortly after 10 p.m. at the America's Best Value Inn in Columbus, nearly 300 miles from Kingston.

The Hyattes were expected in U.S. Federal Court in Columbus on Thursday.

Wagers said he was called to pick up the Hyattes at about 10:30 a.m. in the Cincinnati suburb of Erlanger, Ky.

They said they needed the ride because their vehicle was involved in a crash the previous day, Wagers said.

"I didn't have a clue about that all this was going on until I got back (home)," Wagers said.

The six-year cab driver said the couple told him they were from Virginia, worked for Amway and needed the ride to the motel so the two could attend a conference in Columbus. Wagers said he did not know the two were wanted criminals until after his shift had ended.

He said he was at his apartment playing a video game, when a friend called him and said that the Hyattes' van was found at the Erlanger Econo Lodge and advised him to call police.

"When I told the police department and I turned on the news and saw (Jennifer Hyatte's) picture, I don't even know what I was feeling," Wagers said. "It was more of shock and disbelief because I just can't believe I was involved in something like this."

Wagers said Jennifer Hyatte looked different than she did on television news reports because he thought she colored her hair jet black.

Wagers said he called Erlanger police who immediately put him into contact with the U.S. Marshals Office.

The Columbus Division of Police then called Wagers before marshals came to his house and interviewed him.

Wagers said Columbus police called him later about a half hour later and said the Hyattes were in custody.

The U.S Marshals Office said an undercover agent found the Hyattes' room on the motel's second floor.

Investigators said they called the motel room and Jennifer Hyatte answered the phone. Then they said they told her and her husband to surrender peacefully, Columbus TV station WCMH reported.

Police officers and a SWAT team were outside the room when they surrendered, the station reported.

Witnesses said Jennifer Hyatte was carried down the motel's steps.

The former prison nurse had apparently been wounded from Tuesday's shootout.

She was transported to Grant Medical Center and was treated for injuries. She was released to authorities on Thursday morning, WCMH reported.

"We're very pleased tonight to announce that George and Jennifer Hyatte have been apprehended in Columbus, Ohio," said Mark Gwyn, director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

"We were expecting trouble, to be quite honest," Gwyn said. "I think the way the SWAT team went in (to the motel), they had very little time even to try to escape or do what they had done yesterday here."

Gwyn said federal agents found weapons in the Columbus motel room.

"It was just a Bonnie and Clyde-style shootout (in Tennessee)," he said.

An attorney who was at the courthouse when the shooting took place said George Hyatte, 34, was there to plead guilty in a plea deal involving an armed robbery.

News of the pair's capture quickly spread in Kingston, WCMH reported.

The son of slain corrections officer Wayne Morgan embraced George Hyatte's brother, who had called on his brother to surrender. Dennis Morgan said he had no anger toward the Hyatte family, but said he wanted justice for what happened.

Wayne Morgan was shot in the stomach and died after he was airlifted to a Knoxville, Tenn., hospital, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported.

"To bring closure to the family tonight, that they can rest easy -- that they are in custody -- that means a whole lot," Gwyn said.

Gwyn said the two would be brought back to Tennessee on warrants for first-degree murder.

According to the U.S. Marshals Office, a SWAT team surrounded an Erlanger, Ky., Econo Lodge after investigators spotted a gold van used by the couple Wednesday.

The pair then took the cab from Erlanger, located outside of Cincinnati, to Columbus, according to U.S. Marshals.

Jennifer Hyatte Was Injured

Gwyn said Jennifer Hyatte was injured, but said he didn't know the extent of her injuries. Media reports speculated that she was shot during an exchange of gunfire with a Tennessee correctional officer during the escape.

Authorities said that Jennifer Hyatte shot and killed a correctional officer who was escorting her shackled and handcuffed husband, George, at the courthouse in Kingston, Tenn. A hospital spokeswoman told the Knoxville News Sentinel that the officer, Wayne Morgan, was shot in the stomach and died after he was airlifted to a hospital in Knoxville.

A second correctional officer returned fire.

Roane County, Tenn., Sheriff David Haggard said the two then made their getaway in a Ford Explorer that was later found abandoned. He said a substantial amount of blood was found inside the SUV.

Weapons were found at the motel room where the two were captured but it is unclear whether any of them was the "murder weapon," Gwyn said.

"We're processing those as we speak," he said.

An attorney who was at the courthouse when the shooting took place said George Hyatte was there to plead guilty in a plea deal involving an armed robbery.

Two Met In Prison

A former prison nurse from Utah, Jennifer Hyatte -- formerly Jennifer Forsythe -- had never been in trouble with the law and was working as a nurse in a Tennessee prison when she met George Hyatte.

Prison authorities say she was fired last year for sneaking food to Hyatte. She later got permission from the state corrections department to marry him.

Officials say Hyatte is a career criminal with a history of escape. One of his former lawyers said he's "kind of a ladies' man."

Meanwhile, on NBC this morning, Michael Hyatte, George's brother, offered his condolences to the family of the dead man, Wayne Morgan.

He also said his brother told him a couple of months ago that he

didn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Burn in hell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 10:32:59 AM EDT by FN-TPS]
I worked at a corrections facility once, were they fired a female guard for having a velcro crotch sewn into her uniform pants, so she could easily service prisoners!

The screening of female guards and prison staff, could use a little improvement.

This is not saying anything bad about female officers in general, because the same facility, also got rid of a couple of male preists, who's idea of spiritual enlightenment was asking prisoners if they could watch them masterbate. But instead just making the simply observation, that one has to watch out for people of both sexes in this business, who want into a job, where you deal with inmates, for weird reasons.

Top Top