Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:26:47 PM EDT
This happened in the area I live in.

Backstory:

Dog allegedly bites neighbor(s) for third time. Animal control responds to dogs house requesting cops assist. Two cops arrive to assist. Animal control officer knocks on door and the owners answer. Animal control explains that the dog needs to be quarantiend. The dog owner asked if a home quarentien option was available. Animal control said home quaranteen is acceptable but they would need to do a quick home inspection to make sure the dog couldnt get outside unsupervised (look for unsecured doggie doors and such). Local muni code allows such inspections, but its a mute point because the man who owned the dog allegedly agreed they could come in to do the inspection. As the animal control officer steps through the front door the mans wife allegedly shoves the animal control officer. Cops step into the threshold and arrested her for assault. She allegedly fights the cops, they call for help, a supervisor and another cop show up and the woman goes to jail.  Animal control officer allegedly says screw this. I don't need a minimum wage job that results in people attacking me and quits.

Follow up:

Woman sues forth 4th admendment violation and false arrest. Jury awards her $260,000.00! Hold the cops personally liable for punitive damages of $30,000.00 each. Holds the supervisor liable for punitive damages of $20,000.00.

Likely result:

Next time animal control calls for help with a vicious dog the cops are gonna say "We'll be waiting in our car, go do your thing. Good luck."
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Follow up:

Woman sues forth 4th admendment violation and false arrest. Jury awards her $260,000.00! Hold the cops personally liable for punitive damages of $30,000.00 each. Holds the supervisor liable for punitive damages of $20,000.00.

Likely result:

Next time animal control calls for help with a vicious dog the cops are gonna say "We'll be waiting in our car, go do your thing. Good luck."

Betcha the cops are a bit slow the night something happens to her.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Follow up:

Likely result:

Betcha the cops are a bit slow the night something happens to her.

I'm sure if she ever calls the cops for so much as a lost cell phone report it will be a minimum two officer and a supervisor response with video and audio tape recording. She likely sees them as walking ATM machines at this point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
More awards out of the cops pocket and maybe we won't see as many instances(youtube) where the Majority of the posters here feel the cops overstepped their boundries.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Backstory:

Dog allegedly bites neighbor(s) for third time. Animal control responds to dogs house requesting cops assist. Two cops arrive to assist. Animal control officer knocks on door and the owners answer. Animal control explains that the dog needs to be quarantiend. The dog owner asked if a home quarentien option was available. Animal control said home quaranteen is acceptable but they would need to do a quick home inspection to make sure the dog couldnt get outside unsupervised (look for unsecured doggie doors and such). Local muni code allows such inspections, but its a mute point because the man who owned the dog allegedly agreed they could come in to do the inspection. As the animal control officer steps through the front door the mans wife allegedly shoves the animal control officer. Cops step into the threshold and arrested her for assault. She allegedly fights the cops, they call for help, a supervisor and another cop show up and the woman goes to jail.  Animal control officer allegedly says screw this. I don't need a minimum wage job that results in people attacking me and quits.

Follow up:

Likely result:

Somethings missing.  Out here, if someone puts their hands on someone and pushes them, it's an assault.... same as the original post.  Fighting with the cops could be another assault charge at the ofc discretion..... or if there were injuries it gets into the felony level.

1) They had permission to enter the residence.  Out here, at least, that could be nullified if the woman told them to get out of her house.... but I'm not even taking into consideration that the animal control officer had a "right" to go in to check the residence per the original post.

2) I witness an assault take place.... I'm not going to stand outside of the threshold and watch it escalate.  I have what I need to go in and de-escalate the situation and prevent from getting out of hand.  If that means I put each person in a corner or if that means one gets hooked..... it depends on the situation.

I got into a fight with a guy outside his residence... during the scuffle we ended up inside his house until I got him hooked.  I did not run after him into his house, we were "entangled" and during the "entanglement" we ended up inside his house.  He tried to argue that I entered his house illegally..... he lost.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Backstory:

Follow up:

Likely result:

Somethings missing.  Out here, if someone puts their hands on someone and pushes them, it's an assault.... same as the original post.  Fighting with the cops could be another assault charge at the ofc discretion..... or if there were injuries it gets into the felony level.

1) They had permission to enter the residence.  Out here, at least, that could be nullified if the woman told them to get out of her house.... but I'm not even taking into consideration that the animal control officer had a "right" to go in to check the residence per the original post.
2) I witness an assault take place.... I'm not going to stand outside of the threshold and watch it escalate.  I have what I need to go in and de-escalate the situation and prevent from getting out of hand.  If that means I put each person in a corner or if that means one gets hooked..... it depends on the situation.

I got into a fight with a guy outside his residence... during the scuffle we ended up inside his house until I got him hooked.  I did not run after him into his house, we were "entangled" and during the "entanglement" we ended up inside his house.  He tried to argue that I entered his house illegally..... he lost.

According to this court case you might want to think twice about #2 b/4 taking action.(I realize each situation is diffrent)

Roy
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure that's the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
concure, BS
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
More awards out of the cops pocket and maybe we won't see as many instances(youtube) where the Majority of the posters here feel the cops overstepped their boundries.

Roy

Normally I would agree, but not if the story occurred as written.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So the woman shoves the cop then gets a big payday??  

I heard the woman claims she did not shove the animal control officer. That she "only" slammed the door on his foot or leg.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Backstory:

Follow up:

Likely result:

You know if you posted your location Im sure it would help your story make a bit more sense.

Its like whenever you see a headline that makes you think to yourself "WTF" and you open the story to see it is from UK and then think "Oh NOW it makes sense!"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"

You know if you posted your location Im sure it would help your story make a bit more sense.

Its like whenever you see a headline that makes you think to yourself "WTF" and you open the story to see it is from UK and then think "Oh NOW it makes sense!"

<Removed.  If he wanted his personal information posted he would do it himself.  Please read the Conduct Code.  ––tbk1>

edit: sorry

Roy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top