Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 8:30:38 AM EDT
This'll probably start world war 3. Don't get me wrong, I respect the man, but it seems that he just rants about certain points that are of his opinion, such as he refers to ARs as "poodle shooters" and that they are as to rifles as a banjo is to guitars.  Also that they are not a particularly distinguished niche in firearms, and that any true soldier he ever met loathes them. Anyone else find most of his info ranting and or unimportant/informative/self important?

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, but I disagree with cooper on the AR.  Recent events like Afghanistan and Iraq bear out that the M-16 family of weapons is effective.  As far as not even being a well established niche weapon, the popularity of this board alone proves him wrong.  Cooper is living in the past.  I will not deny that when I had my first 16 in hand, that I disliked it.  However, I have come to understand the rifle better and learned to love it.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Im with Raf on this one...

Can someone post a link to Coopers corner I dont keep anything in my favorites at work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and Coopers opinions are obviously based upon his personal frame of reference and should be respected, but not necessarily thought of as religion.  my .02
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
[url=http://www.dvc.org.uk/~johnny/jeff/]Jeff Cooper's Commentaries[/url]

I don't agree with him all the time but I hold him in the upmost respect.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeff Cooper is a man who has definitely "been there."

His opinions on firearms and firearms techniques carry alot more weight (with me, at least) than those of mere pundits.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
No offence taken raf, that's what I wrote it for. I won't dispute that the man has a lot of trigger time, and is a genious in a lot of ways, it just seems that he gets an idea in his head and that is that, everyone else should think the same or they're wrong I guess self righteous isn't quite the phrase but I can't put to words the feeling I get from some of his writings, that's all.  Hell, I'm like that too sometimes. I'd love to have a talk with him, I just wouldn't admit I own a "poodle shooter" or have any confidence in it being able to put the bad-guy down before he does so to me, It just seems anyone with a differing opinion would get looked at as an unproffesional peon.

Even my wife has an AR [X]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If nothing else, he`s thought provoking and forces people to reevaluate their positions. In a way, Cooper is like the Pope. He consistently holds to a position he believes is correct regardless of the "in thing". More often than not they both turn out to be right. Cooper stuck steadfastly to the 1911 when the "wonder Nines" were the fad in vogue. Now most serious competitors aren`t parted from the 1911.  If nothing else, he gives you food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Coopers book "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
He is refreshingly non-pc, and has been proven right more often than not. In a world where so many people are trying to jump on the next bandwagon, I turn to people like him for original thoughts about new situations.

As for the M16 and 5.56 mm round in general, he at least had this to say in his latest commentary:

Some pretty good sea stories are trickling back from the front, though not with any help from the press. Our news people do not seem to want to tell about anything plus, being only interested in people getting hurt. Getting hurt is part of war, of course, but there are also elements of valor, skill, and even humor, that should be told. Perhaps you caught the one incident of the Arab who emerged from a doorway to pick up a rocket propelled grenade, only to be potted by a Marine with an M16 across the street. Thereupon a second Moor popped out to make the same objective, only to be knocked over in his turn. And this happened yet a third time. Clearly the little 223 will do the job under some circumstances.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Col. Jeff Cooper has seen it come around full circle in his day.  I respect 99% of what he says and enjoy his opinion on the rest.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The man is the real thing, not some wannabe, blowhard pogue.  His opinions are based on personal experience and a full life, not something he read in the latest issue of Shooting Times or Soldier of Fortune.  I may not agree 100% with him on some things (very few), but I don't know of anyone I respect more (I met him a couple of years ago and he is truly a gentleman and a scholar).  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Say what you will about Chairman Jeff, but he has been there and "seen the elephant" (and the other dangerous two and four-legged animals too.
He has seen and done more than most any of us will in our lifetimes, and it would be wise to take what he says seriously....

Yes, like most people with his age & experience, he has his personal opinions, but unlike most of us, his are based on experience. And he generally says that they are opinions, and the reader is free to do as he will, and succeed or fail based on his choices.

BTW, they will be airing a profile on Col. Cooper on American Shooter, Outdoor Life channel, @ 9:00 PM EDT, Wednesday, May 14.
Should be interesting.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top