Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 5:33:19 PM EDT
I lost my passport Day before yesterday.

I'm in Cali...Not even home....

After I realize it's gone, I backtrack like crazy....Like a freaking Beagle.

Today, there was ONE last place.

An Indian-Owned Booze/Check Cashing place in The Palo Alto Area.

I tried to get my per diem Western Union checks cashed there.

I walk in, and, ask...

"Sir....I was in here the other day...Have you seen......."

*He interjects*

"A US PASSPORT?!"

I'm melting in relief at this point as he goes into his drawer and pulls out the passport and, hands it over.

"I remember you!  You came, In and, I remember when you open you're book and, passport falls out!  Some, third class!  Some....Mexican!  He tries to pick it up and leave!  I say.....NO!  You find that in MY store!  You must leave that here!.  I try to contact Western Union to alert you if you try to cash Western Union check around here, but, they are stupid!  

He pauses, and, then, says;  "You should be more careful!  A passport is important document!  People can do bad things with such a thing!"

I bought a pint there as a thanks....Not to mention my profuse thanks.

I guess it's  just a flood of love for my country I'm feeling right now.  and, a love of LEGAL immigrants that own buisnesses and are busting thier ass to make a buck, but, remember me on site......

Dude saw me ONCE, and I didn't buy anything.

Ok..Maybe a 6'1 250 pound white guy with a shaved sides flattop is memorable around here...lol...

It's faith renewing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the immigrants are very hard working people.  My dad came from China years ago, and when he often worked 60-70 hours per week until he retired.  If you had dropped your passport at my parent's resturant, they too would've picked up and saved it for you, and later they would've forwarded it to the US INS if it wasn't picked up.  They had people leave wallets in their place and they were returned with nothing missing.  There are many good people in this world.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of the immigrants are very hard working people.  My dad came from China years ago, and when he often worked 60-70 hours per week until he retired.  If you had dropped your passport at my parent's resturant, they too would've picked up and saved it for you, and later they would've forwarded it to the US INS if it wasn't picked up.  They had people leave wallets in their place and they were returned with nothing missing.  There are many good people in this world.

This, and, what I related is why I wholeheartedly support Legal immigration.

I couldn't help but laugh as I got a fucking civics lesson from this Indian guy, who, was obviously happy and proud to return a passport.

You know what?  He's RIGHT!  HE'S RIGHT!

That man values his citizenship!  He's like a civcs101 teacher!

I'm so jazzed about this.  I was hopeing this would bring more attenion.  It deserves is.

Clyde's Liqours and Check Cashing, btw.  Palo Alto.  El Camino Real.  Patronize this good citizens buisness if you have the occasion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
wonder if he had to draw down on the guy who tried to steal it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Great story.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
wonder if he had to draw down on the guy who tried to steal it?

I have no idea.  All I know is when I walked back in, the dude knew who I was.

I damn near didn't get my sentance in.

I think he was jazzed up defending the republic!

This kind of stuff busts me up.

I'm glad that dude was Indian, and, had reverence for a US passport.

Not to mention he whipped out the "Third class" mexican.  (That's pretty Indian, as I recall)... He actually chased him down in the store, from what I understand.

Man..This is why I love America.

I love immigrants working their ASSES off to work within the program because that's America!

and being patriotic in thier way.

Too bad too many don't get that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice to know that good people of any stripe still exist.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Great story.

I have to figgure out a way to make my real life stories more controvesial.

Maybe I'll include "Gay" in the title.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I honestly, guess I wouldn't expect that of any buisness...To be so nice.

The one place I thought I dropped it was a Samoan run place.  They
were VERY nice....The actually looked everywhere.  And called the guy on duty before them.

Then, I got the Indidan guy.

This just makes me get a warm and fuzzy about legal immigration.

Not ILLEGAL!  

Seems legal immigrents have big issues with Illegals.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+My Passport
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
it's nice hearing stuff like this...  especially with all the negative bullshit we hear about all the time.  it kind of restores your faith in man kind
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Since we are talking about people returning possession, I would like to relate to my own story, 25 years ago when my wife got married, we honeymooned in Hawaii, well like a ding-dong, I dropped the packet of travelers checks that we brought with us at a mom & pop resturant that we stopped to eat at, and the people must've called all of the hotels in Honolulu and left a messge with the desk that I dropped my travelers checks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of the Indian folks stores that I got to are very friendly and very happy to be here. Not to mention they work very very hard, makes a lot of natural born Americans look lazy.

I left a receipt one time at a store, this one was owned by a Pakistani feller, he kept it for nearly a week and gave it to me the next time I came in. Granted it's not the same level as a passport, but most people would have thrown it away, including me.

I know a lot of people don't like to patronize their stores, but you know if the colonists who were here before my mothers side of the family didn't buy their tobacco or dairy products they grew/produced in Virginia just because they were Irish immigrants they would have starved and I would not be here. Legal immigrants are more than welcome to live, work and experience the American dream all day long as far as I'm concerened. My forefathers who fought in the Revolution would feel the same way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cool ... there are honest people still living in Los Angeles.

Bay area

NOCAL
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Most of the Indian folks stores that I got to are very friendly and very happy to be here. Not to mention they work very very hard, makes a lot of natural born Americans look lazy.

I left a receipt one time at a store, this one was owned by a Pakistani feller, he kept it for nearly a week and gave it to me the next time I came in. Granted it's not the same level as a passport, but most people would have thrown it away, including me.

I know a lot of people don't like to patronize their stores, but you know if the colonists who were here before my mothers side of the family didn't buy their tobacco or dairy products they grew/produced in Virginia just because they were Irish immigrants they would have starved and I would not be here. Legal immigrants are more than welcome to live, work and experience the American dream all day long as far as I'm concerened. My forefathers who fought in the Revolution would feel the same way.

I've always respected legal immigrants.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I know you weren't implying you don't. I think most of the people on this site do. Just adding it to my post, I know quite a few people who feel like they(Indian, Pakastani's etc) do not belong here and refuse to shop at their stores and I think it's just pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wow, it's nice to hear a story with a happy ending.  Thanks, and I'm glad you got your passport back.  Now be more careful with it.

Good Call.

I'm leaving it with Mrs. Goon from now on.

She told me I would lose it!..lol...She was right.

I hate that!

It's going into safe hands now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I know you weren't implying you don't. I think most of the people on this site do. Just adding it to my post, I know quite a few people who feel like they(Indian, Pakastani's etc) do not belong here and refuse to shop at their stores and I think it's just pathetic.

Paki's are hard buisnessmen.   It's aPITA to deal with them.  I can say, most are honest.  I venture to say I've delt with them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I recently sent a letter to my congressman, asking him to draft (or support) any legislation that makes life TOUGHER for ILLEGAL immigrants and also imposes SEVERE penalties on anyone who HIRES an illegal immigrant.    

In the same letter,  I was complimentary towards all LEGAL immigrants.

I view illegal immigrants a trespassers and THIEVES.   My attitude is that if you are trespassing,
NOTHING you obtain while trespassing is legally yours no matter how hard you work for it.   I want
to see illegals stripped of EVERYTHING they obtain while illegally in the US.  EVERYTHING.  Houses, cars,  bicycles,  clothes, food, money,  every last penny of it.    And then sent to prison for a year at
hard labor and then deported with a promise:   Return and the punishment doubles every time.

Those who hire illegals should be fined 25,000 dollars for each illegal they hire,   PER each calendar
year that they work ANY part of.   And add an ADDITIONAL fine of ONE HUNDRED TIMES what
they paid the illegal, in total.       The illegal you hire for six bucks an hour is going to cost you 25 grand plus 600 bucks an hour, and another 25 grand if he works one day in any other year.

I'd LOVE to see that become law!

And at the same time,   I have nothing but praise for LEGAL immigrants no matter where they're from.   They exemplify the American Dream.

CJ

I welcome any Mexican Legal immigrants.

Mexican..Indian..Whatvere.

I'm a strong proponant in learnding english.

Hell.  Can't believe I posted that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, that is cool.

I love it when that kind of shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yes, that is cool.

I love it when that kind of shit happens.

It was stunning, actually.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow great story, it almost renews my faith in man....Almost...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Similiar story, I had lost my wallet in the parking lot of a movie theatre. Next day I call in cancel my debit card etc etc, about two days later a van pulls up to my house, Mexican family: Husband, wife and child. Did not speak much english but had a good grasp on it. The only thing that was missing was the $1 I had in my wallet, I gave him $10 for returning it.

I felt quite good about humanity that day, that a random stranger found my wallet drove from wherever his house was to bring it to my door.

We need more people like them out there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#28]
This is my passport
There are many like it but
This one is mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top