Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:34:03 AM EDT
Is there any reason not to use olive oil instead of butter when making roux for white sauce / Alfredo sauce?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know.  You might IM leelaw and ask him.  He's more of a late night crew.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Olive oil at extremely high temperatures becomes toxic iirc, I use it if I'm cooking low heat applications
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, something about the butter when it heats up and the browning effect. I don't remember exactly.

Someone else?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Butter fat breaks down at a lower temp than olive oil.  Olive oil has a low breakdown temp too, but it is too high for making a roux.  It can be done, but you have to be very careful monitoring the temp and stirring constantly (even moreso than with butter).

The roux will usually burn from the higher temp needed to brown the flour and Olive Oil, that is why butter is preferred.  Hope that helps.

ETA:  A roux based white sauce is a Bechemel Sauce.  Butter, flour, salt pepper.

Alfredo is butter, heavy cream, parmesaen cheese, and white pepper.  IM me for a secret ingredient and other recipes if you need them.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I would use butter in the roux. The milk fat in butter helps give the nutty flavor as it browns, you will not get with OV.
Use Parmigiano-Reggiano and a few grates of fresh nutmeg for an outstanding Alfredo
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any reason not to use olive oil instead of butter when making roux for white sauce / Alfredo sauce?

flavor profile. A roux is, by definition, equal parts fat and flour. Any fat will work but will change the flavor profile.

What exactly ary you making? A straight white sauce(bechamel) calls for a light or blond roux and milk. If Making an Alfredo its whole butter, good parmesan(reggiano) only traditionally. Most folks are more familiar with a cream based alfredo here, whole butter, heavy-or better manufacturing- cream reduced to proper consistency, parmesan. No need for a roux here unless you are making gallons and reduction will not be cost effective.

hth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top