Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
www.suffredin.org/legislativelibrary/Legislation.asp?LegislationID=123&Library=cook

Summary:

This amendment bans the sale and possession of assault weapons by modifying the definition of assualt(sic) weapons, addming (sic) a characteristic-based test. Additionally, the proposal bans large capacity magazines that are capable of holding more than 10 rounds of magazine. Also, the list of banned weapons is updated to include specific models not covered by existing county gun laws.

*snip*

(uses the "magazine + 1 feature" test)

*snip*

Section 6-2. Assault weapons and large capacity magazines-Sale prohibited-Exceptions.

. . .

(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this ordinance, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this section shall have 14 90 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:

(1) To remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits of the County of Cook;

(2) To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault weapon or large capacity magazine; or

(3) To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below.

*snip/more/end*

For anyone keeping score, this may be at least the second US municipality to implement confiscation (the one that I know of for sure is NYC, with an identical law). In comparison, AR-15's are legal even in Canada (with 5-round magazines). . . I guess the IL folks can buy a FAB-10, which looks just like an AR receiver, fires the same way, shoots the same ammo, but has an internal magazine.

WTF???

Is this and old/current bill or something they want to start?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Surrender without compensation won't go over to well, and I doubt that without comp it will be able to withstand a Court review.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Surrender without compensation won't go over to well, and I doubt that without comp it will be able to withstand a Court review.

Not in Cook County. This will pass and it will go right through the courts. That's if any actually takes it to court.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
So does anyone know if this thing passed or what??

FREE
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Cook County. This will pass and it will go right through the courts. That's if any actually takes it to court.

In Cook County sure, when it gets to the State Court of appeals or the state supreme court it's another story. Mi is a bit diff as local cities cannot pass laws more restrictive then the state on these things.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Fanatics!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not passed yet, only proposed.  The fight is on!  There is more about it in the Illinois forum.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess the IL folks can buy a FAB-10...

Thankfully, most of Illinois lies outside of Cook County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top