Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:31 AM EDT
Today (18 Aug) was my third day wearing contacts.  It took me 25 minutes to get them in this morning.

Any tips?  I don't want to use numbing drops.  The optometrist said I'll never stop using them if I start.

Also, what are some online places for cheap daily disposables that you've had good experinece with?  1-800-CONTACTS?

Thanks, hive mind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Today (18 Aug) was my third day wearing contacts.  It took me 25 minutes to get them in this morning.

Any tips?  I don't want to use numbing drops.  The optometrist said I'll never stop using them if I start.

Also, what are some online places for cheap daily disposables that you've had good experinece with?  1-800-CONTACTS?

Thanks, hive mind.

On my first day, it took 45 minutes to force them in. I ended up with severely irritated eyes that were itchy, hurting, and red.

Just always make sure you have clean solution (you WILL get an eye infection eventually if not) and wash your hands. Your eyes will adjust within a couple weeks and the contacts should slip on with no problem.

Btw, what brand do you use? I've been using the Acuvue2 and they are very comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, I've never had a problem getting them in.

Switch to FOCUS NIGHT & DAY  contacts.    You put them in, and leave them in for 30 days!   Then replace.

It's next best thing to Lasik
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
HA!  Beat you both!  It only took me...well, OK, it took me an average of 30 min., maybe a bit longer, for my first week.  Fine, I beat nobody.

Tips?  You just get used to doing it an you develop some technique in the process.  Just fight the good fight and it will get easier.

I had PRK and now see 20/10 in both eyes, so now it is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]
It is gonna take a little getting used to, and a little bit of practice. Give it a week or so.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
You will get used to putting them in and taking them out.  It will become so routine that you can do it with one hand and without a mirror.  I have been wearing for about 18 years.  I took a break for about 2 years recently and just went back.  Had no problems...popped them in like I had never stopped wearing them.  

Follow the advice in previous posts.  Additionally, I would say make sure the finger you put the lens on for insertion is very dry.  It helps the contact leave your finger and cling to your eye.  I have always watched the lens as it approaches my eye.  When I feel it touch, I look to the side and the lens pops right on.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The first few times it takes some getting used to.  One trick I learned, and still do, it to put a drop of solution into the lens just before you put it in.   This will keep your eyes from getting irritated.  

As far as cheap lenses go, they're around $14.50 at Sams and $16.50 at Walmart.  You might find them cheaper online, but I usually pick up 4 boxes at Sams after my annual eye exam.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on dry finger -- this makes the lens less likely to stick to your finger
+1 on drop of saline solution into lens
Add to this, put a drop of saline or contact lens-compatible eye drops in the eye. These make the lens want to stick to your eye.

Make sure you are easily able to tell by looking at the lens while it's on your finger if the lens is inside-out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Good advise from the others.

WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS

As SevenMMmag said, if you don't, you WILL get an eye infection. Not fun, you don't want to go there!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Been wearing them for about 3 years, I still suck at getting them in.

IGR....the thread is about Contacts....not condoms.  Your lenses must be dirty or in backwards.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input, folks.

SevenMMmag, my current brand is FOCUS Dailies.  I can't even tell I'm wearing them, once they're on.  I haven't yet purchased any as the doc gave me a 7-day trial set.  I report back next Tuesday (23rd) with my impressions.

fight4yourrights, I'll ask the doc about those.  Any cons versus using the daily throw-aways?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Add to this, put a drop of saline or contact lens-compatible eye drops in the eye. These make the lens want to stick to your eye.

Make sure you are easily able to tell by looking at the lens while it's on your finger if the lens is inside-out.

Actually, I was having problems with that this morning.  Is there an easy way to tell?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
It did take me a while the first time , you'll be getting them in the first try before you know it
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input, folks.

SevenMMmag, my current brand is FOCUS Dailies.  I can't even tell I'm wearing them, once they're on.  I haven't yet purchased any as the doc gave me a 7-day trial set.  I report back next Tuesday (23rd) with my impressions.

fight4yourrights, I'll ask the doc about those.  Any cons versus using the daily throw-aways?

FYI, I talked to my optometrist lady, and asked about the 30 day things.
And she said, that she has seen alot of people coming in with irritated and infected eyes, from leaving the night and days in. She said that while you can, its generally not the best idea.

But... This is not a bashing those lenses post, Those are what I wear. She just said to go ahead and wear them like normal. They are by far the most comfortable contacts I have worn. (used to wear acuvue 2, which i liked alot as well) and they are great if you life a hectic lifestyle, because you can sleep in them and they don't feel as weird as others.

My $.02 worth what you piad for it.

Oh and it will get easier, at least they aren't the hard contacts.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I was having problems with that this morning.  Is there an easy way to tell?

Yours are the Focus right?

Don't know if your are nearsighted or far-sighted, but usually on the lens there is some text, or numbers. (i.e. 123, or CIBA) just make sure you can read it correctly (rightside up left to right) and you got them the right way,

another way is to make sure it is bowl shaped and not plate shaped, but you kind of have to see it to know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a crude diagram, but should work.

Correct lens should look like this (__) on your finger.

Inside out will look more like this ]__[ .

Inside out will look like a cereal bowl with the outer edge curving outward.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I found that looking up after inserting the contact before blinking the first time helps.z
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a crude diagram, but should work.

Correct lens should look like this (__) on your finger.

Inside out will look more like this ]__[ .

Inside out will look like a cereal bowl with the outer edge curving outward.

OK, that's kind of what I figured.  I tried to make sure it was curved all the way to the rim of the lens rather than being a bit straight towards the rim.

If you do put them in backwards is it easy to feel or see a difference?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some lenses actually have a faint logo / watermark that might help.

Also, when viewed from the side, it should look like a bowl where the lip does not stick out. You know how some soup bowls have kind of a ledge or flair out a bit at the rim? It should NOT look like that. With some lenses, it's very hard to see. Your eye doc (or likely an assistant) should be able to help with some coaching, and that really shouldn't require an appointment. I've found that if you start to have trouble on a given morning, your eyes will get so annoyed you might never get it.

And +1000 on clean clean clean. Hands, towel, storage cases, solution bottles, everything.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#20]
If in backwards, they'll hurt. But it'll be similar to if you've got a hunk of dust under the lens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Dry insertion finger is key, and keep both eyes open too. If one is closed the other will want to close too. Also once you press the contact to the eye, move your finger up, down, left, and right to get it to stick better. That was the advice given to me and it worked after 10 minutes of trying when I previously could not get them in at all. Keep with it, they're alot better than glasses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If in backwards, they'll hurt. But it'll be similar to if you've got a hunk of dust under the lens.

+1.

Although I have recently tried the silicon Night & Day lenses.  I love them...I couldn't wear the Acuvue 2 anymore.  They don't have a pronounced edge and it is harder to tell if they are backwards.  I have worn both ways (accidentaly) and there wasn't a big difference.  I really couldn't tell.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#23]
rinse hands before handling contact, otherwise you'll get a bit of hair or thread or dust or something on the contact.  Make sure it's resting on you finger like the crude diagram above.  You may want to put a drop of solution in it.   Look in the mirror, poke your iris with your finger which has the contact.  Bingo!  Now blink a few times.  Do the other eye.

Never walk around with a contact on your finger if you drop it you'll almost never find it, soon as you drop it freeze.  Had them stuck to the sink, faucet, mirror, floor, faucet handle, etc.  hard to see since they're transparent
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
my tips

1. wash hands EVER time you go near your eyes
2. take them out every night...cept maybe that time you are out drinking till 3 am and your staying at a friends and they dont wear contact and the only choice is salt water in two shot glasses...
3. if you think they are uncomfortable and suck...have the Dr. give you some samples of other types  He gave me some "new" ones to try once..boy did they suck-felt like hell...went back to old ones.
4. it will take a while to get used to
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Keep at it.

My first time took me 3 hours.  6 months later it takes one try each eye, everytime.

You'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#26]
10+ years wearing them, trust me you will get better.  First 6 mos I wore them I had to allot extra time for putting them in.  Now it is over in seconds.  Ahhh, the joys of getting older.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

2. take them out every night...cept maybe that time you are out drinking till 3 am and your staying at a friends and they dont wear contact and the only choice is salt water in two shot glasses...

Been there..Done that..
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#28]
One more hint: get one of those pocket size bottles of contact lens rewetting drops. It helps when the contacts have been in for a long time and your not home to take them out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
One more hint: get one of those pocket size bottles of contact lens rewetting drops. It helps when the contacts have been in for a long time and your not home to take them out.

Mine are daily throw-aways.  The only time I'll be taking them out is if they're not going back in.  Unless something strange happens, anyway.

I do keep eye drops at work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

]

Not really, if you have healthy eyes.  If you are infection prone, go with dailies.

My wife has a scratched cornea, and dry eye syndrome, so the dailys work better for her.

I love the month contacts.  It's almost like having good vision.   Wake up in the middle of the night to take the dogs out (or shoot a BG) and You can SEE!

The month long contacts are very safe.   My eye doc is pretty conservative, and we held off until these were proven.    AFAS the aforementioned infections by another poster, I would wager it was the user's issues
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been wearing contact lenses for about 15 years, and I am only 24. So for most of my life, its a daily ritual. Here are my tips....

Wash your fucking hands.... (not that I do, but it does make things easier )
Ensure the lense surfaces are clean (clear), and the lenses is not inside out (will curl like a recurve bow if inside out)
I usually put a drop of solution on the lense, and let the water suck the lense onto my eye insted of pressing it home...
Blink a couple of times, look into the mirror to ensure that its seated correctly.

Repeat.

Removal:

Wash hands
Put finger onto lense while looking ahead, then look upward, and the finger will pull the lense off of the cornea.
Pinch to remove, clean, and store
Repeat.

Helpful hints:

Trim ur fingernails
Keep your lense case clean
Dont wear contacts overnight (even if they are marked safe to do). I did when I was younger, and screwed my eyes up pretty good. I now have hooks on the back of my eyelids that grab the lense... Yay me. Things might be better now, but I dont care.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Sam's is pretty much the cheapest by about a buck. I did a bit of searching and there are a few places cheaper than 1800 contacts, but none match sam's. Little know, but a law(not sure if it is just texas,) but you can go into any sam's without a membership and buy prescription stuff and pay their member pricing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IGR....the thread is about Contacts....not condoms.  Your lenses must be dirty or in backwards.

Condoms???

I wear 3... One for protection, two for shims.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Condoms???

I wear 3... One for protection, two for shims.

A man's gotta take every 0.010" he can get.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#36]
+1 I do the same trick

Quoted:
The first few times it takes some getting used to.  One trick I learned, and still do, it to put a drop of solution into the lens just before you put it in.   This will keep your eyes from getting irritated.  

As far as cheap lenses go, they're around $14.50 at Sams and $16.50 at Walmart.  You might find them cheaper online, but I usually pick up 4 boxes at Sams after my annual eye exam.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#37]
you'll get used to it.  I had the same issues.  visiondirect is also good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top