Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2002 5:14:54 PM EDT

H. R. 3751

To prohibit the importation of dangerous firearms that have been modified to avoid the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 13, 2002
Mr. NADLER introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To prohibit the importation of dangerous firearms that have been modified to avoid the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapon Ban Enhancement Act of 2002'.

SEC. 2. BAN ON IMPORTATION OF DANGEROUS FIREARMS THAT HAVE BEEN MODIFIED TO AVOID THE BAN ON SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.

Section 925 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

(g) The Secretary shall prohibit the importation or bringing into the United States of any semiautomatic assault weapon (including the frame or receiver of any such weapon) that is of a type which, as of May 1, 1998, was determined under subsection (d)(3) to be not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, or that includes any of the following characteristics:

(1) The weapon has a thumb hole stock that functions as a pistol grip.

(2) The weapon can accept a detachable large capacity ammunition magazine.

(3) The weapon has a fixed magazine which can be readily modified to accept a large capacity ammunition magazine.

[red](4) The weapon uses .22 caliber ammunition.[/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
[RED](3) The weapon has a fixed magazine which can be readily modified to accept a large capacity ammunition magazine.[/RED]

The above definition would also include the SKS.

There are many aftermarket high capacity magazines which could be fitted to the SKS but they do require disassembly of the rifle in order to fit them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I can tell:

1) The butthole stock will make a rifle an AW regardless of capcity, features, etc... Placing a butthole stock on your imported rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine, has no evil features, etc... and you have violated 922(r).

2) Number 2 is simply making a Clinton Executive Order (Circa 1998) Permanent by writing it into the US Code.

3) This one would ban all SKSes and any other rifle that could be made to take a Detachable Magazine. I wonder how the ATF will define "readily convertible" in the case ? a dremel ? No more MISR-10s or other low-cap. AKs. Heck, a Detachable Magazine can be made for any rifle. My Marlin 99 can be converted to a detachable magazine by removing the fire controls and replacing the internal box with a Mag. Well., then cutting a hole in the stock for the mag. to insert through. I am sure that with a some work, somebody could make a Garand take Detachable Magazines.

4) All .22s would be banned. Placing a Ciener kit (if such a kit is available) on your Low-Capacity AK would be a 922(r) violation. But, keeping the original 7.62x39 chambering would be fine. Apparently, somebody forgot that a .22 short is less powerful than a .25 ACP. A .22 LR is also pretty useless except for small game and plinking. But, 7.62x39, .308, .223, etc...all of which are alot more powerfull would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Given the current climate, which is perhaps the most pro-gun climate we've experienced since the 60's, I wouldn't worry too much about that bill. It doesn't have a very good chance, to say the least.   Look in the Thomas records and see how many cosponsors the bill has.  That's a good indicator of the bill's popularity.

Incidentally, it has NO cosponsors!  That's GOOD!

But that doesn't mean that it should be ignored. Quite the contrary, you should write letters and place phone calls regarding this bill just as much as you would with any other stupid-ass gun control bill.

By the way, did you notice that this bill doesn't say anything about DOMESTIC manufacture of such a weapon?  It wouldn't affect any US made gun at all.

But then again, this is one of Nadler's masterpieces of slipshod engineering.  He'd order a car and forget to order it with wheels or a motor...or doors!

He's the sort who'd make it all the way to work, get to the podium, start making a speech...and someone would finally have the heart to tell him that he'd forgotten his pants and shorts that morning![whacko]

CJ
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying to find an official website that actually lists this.  The House's website is of absolutely no help, and I don't see anything by the NRA or the GOA yet.  Are you sure this isn't a hoax?  If it's not can you tell me where I can verify that?
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So according to this bill, an imported .22 Bolt action Anschctz is an "assault weapon". Will the silliness ever end? [BD]
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't Nadler that enormous fat bastard from New York ? If so maybe we should propose a calorie ban on his great big fat ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.3751:[/url]

cm, it would have an effect on any rifle made with imported parts. Why, becuase 922(r) makes it a federal offense to build a non-importable rifle or shotgun from more than 10 imported parts (10 from the ATF List of 20).

As for domestic production, it would be fine for now. But, as history will tell...almost every import ban has been followed by a domestic production ban. This happened with MGs, AWs, etc...Congress passes the import ban and a few years later figures out that the guns are being made domestically also. So, they call for a domestic production ban.

1968 -- Importing MGs (for civies) became illegal.

1986 -- Producing MGs (for civies) domestically became illegal. (922(O))

1989 -- Importing "Assault Rifles" became illegal. (925(d)(3))

1990 -- Building "Assault Rifles" from imported parts became illegal. (922(r))

1994 -- Producing "Assault Rifles" domestically became illegal. (922(v))
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Dear Mr. Nadler:
     With no due respect, F*ck you. You are nothing but subhuman slime. The parents that give birth to people like you should have been sterilized before they could cause damage to the American society. You and your liberal bung-buddies are lower than the peanut my dog shit out last night that is stuck to a piece of over-chewed bubble gum stuck to my shoe. I hope you rott in hell.
Molon Labe, motherf*cker.
have a nice day,
Shrike.
now what is his address?[pissed]
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
well, iguess they made that 10/22 vrs windrunner 50BMG decesion easier to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top