Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 8:14:34 AM EDT
What a wimp!

www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/31/shays.times.ap/index.html

HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- Concerned about terrorism, Rep. Christopher Shays urged revelers not to attend New Year's Eve celebrations like the one at Times Square this year. New York's mayor countered that Shays could use an infusion of courage.

A member of the House Select Committee on Homeland Security and chairman of a terrorism subcommittee, the Connecticut Republican told WVIT-TV on Tuesday that he wouldn't go to Times Square "for anything."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said nobody should stay home because of the nation's heightened terror alert, and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said the nation's security was unprecedented.

But Shays said it is irresponsible for officials to make people think they don't need to take precautions, like avoiding packed crowds in New York City.

"Secretary Ridge says just do what you normally do," Shays said. "I would say, what do you normally do? If normally you go to Times Square, I wouldn't do what you normally do." Shays added, "I wouldn't go into places when you're packed and where if there was panic, a lot of injuries would take place."

Bloomberg said Wednesday on NBC's "Today" that former Iraq POW Shoshana Johnson would be taking part in the Times Square festivities.

"She was a woman fighting to protect the congressman's freedoms," Bloomberg said. "She was captured and wounded in Iraq. Maybe he should call her and learn a little bit about courage."

The mayor's office also said Shays also should show more confidence in "world's greatest police department."

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with Shays about staying out of NYC New Year's Eve, but for different reasons: who wants to hang out with crowds of drunks on a very cold night, long after it's time to go to bed? And, simultaneously, be disarmed. No joy in that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard Congress[b]boy[/b] Shays on a local radio show last week.
Geeezus K. Rist.. just the soft whiney tone of his voice convinced me he's a nancy boy afraid of his own shadow.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I make it a point to stay out of NYC, period. But if I was anywhere near NYC, I'd go tonight, just to spite Shays.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
It's okay, I won't be making it to Times Square for new years anyway.  I will be busy at a bash on the river with a bunch of hotties running around in their PJs![:P]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]
2WP, you bastard, so no invites to THAT party, I notice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2WP, you bastard, so no invites to THAT party, I notice.
View Quote

You are not exactly what I would call 'playboy Da_Bunny' material![;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Kevin, you are one cold-blooded bastard....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top