Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:03:33 PM EDT
Concealed weapons measure has strong support  in Nebraska

By KEVIN O’HANLON / The Associated Press
Friday, December 30, 2005  

The fight to allow Nebraskans to carry concealed weapons is now a decade old, but Sen. Jeanne Combs believes it will be passed in the upcoming legislative session.

Combs, a card-carrying member of the National Rifle Association, introduced her concealed-weapons measure (LB454) last year. More Session 2006 preview coverage here

It was passed out of committee and sent to the floor for debate, but with the legislative session waning, she made a deal with Speaker Kermit Brashear of Omaha to pull the measure from the agenda.

In return, Brashear committed to scheduling the concealed weapons measure “for full and fair debate” at the beginning of the looming session, which starts Wednesday.

“I look forward to that discussion and debate and fully expect that the bill will be enacted by the Legislature and signed into law by the governor,” Combs said.

In an Associated Press pre-session survey, 26 of 49 senators said they would favor allowing Nebraskans to carry concealed weapons, while five said they were leaning that way. Eight were opposed to the idea and two were leaning that way. Four were undecided and three did not answer the question. One senator did not participate in the survey.

Thirty-eight states have some form of concealed weapons laws, according to the NRA.

Combs’ measure has 23 co-sponsors, but it’s not assured of passage.

Supporters of the idea have been trying to get such a measure passed since 1996.

Former Sen. Gene Tyson of Norfolk introduced such a measure in 2003. It was advanced to second-round debate but never returned to the agenda — later dying because of a rule that gives legislation a two-year shelf-life to be passed.

A concealed weapons measure was first introduced in 1996, and the 2003 vote marked the first time the bill had advanced in the Legislature since 1998. The bill that year cleared one of three rounds of debate before time ran out.

Supporters argue that being able to carry concealed weapons is a constitutional right. And they say the bill would merely put guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens who want to protect themselves against “bad guys” who already carry weapons.

“I believe the most fundamental of human rights is the right to protect one’s self and family from physical harm,” Combs said. “I wanted Nebraskans to have available the same self-protection option available to residents of 44 other states — the ability to qualify for and receive a permit to carry a concealed handgun on their person in venues where it is not otherwise prohibited.”

Gov. Dave Heineman supports the concept of legalizing the carrying of concealed weapons but has not taken a position on Combs’ bill.

The bill would require applicants for a concealed weapon permit to pass a background check and complete a handgun training and safety course. The permit would cost $100 and be valid for five years. Convicted felons would not be allowed to get a permit.

Concealed weapons would not be allowed in a variety of places, including bars, police stations, public meetings, athletic events, schools, churches, hospitals and banks. Signs also could be posted prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons in other locations.

It is estimated that licenses could be granted to more than 64,000 people in Nebraska.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The biggest racist in the world, Ernie Chambers, will prevent it from happening if at all possible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wisconsin... Check
Nebraska... Pending
Illinois... Ah fuck it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The biggest racist in the world, Ernie Chambers, will prevent it from happening if at all possible.

Buttttttttttttttt..................Ernie has such vision.  He is a great leader for his "people".  Maybe he'll buy a new grey sweatshirt for the debates?  I'll stop here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buttttttttttttttt..................Ernie has such vision.  He is a great leader for his "people".  Maybe he'll buy a new grey sweatshirt for the debates?  I'll stop here.

I wish some of you  out of state guys could experience Ernie Chambers
he makes Jessie jackson and Al Sharpton look like Rush Limbaugh and Bill OReilly

bad part of this bill is that the State patrol gets to decide what training is required and how much it costs  but there is a good pile of lawyers on our side that should keep that in line
have too see what happens
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wisconsin... Check
Nebraska... Pending
Illinois... Ah fuck it.

I thought WI was still pending?

You're right on IL, fuck it.

Indiana has better gun laws.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 Maybe he'll buy a new grey sweatshirt for the debates?  I'll stop here.

Remeber about 10  or 15 years ago when a state trooper from somewhere in western Ne that just got put on the governors detail and did not know who ernie was
Put the smack down on him because he saw some shabby dressed black guy  advancing  rapidly on the governor looking pissed
for awhile after that he wore a t-shirt that said
"I am the senator Ernie Chmbers "
Funny but he just used it to get publicity

a few yrears after that he ran over a troopers foot  refuseing to stop for a traffic ticket

I see him on I-80 between omaha and Lincoln fairly often  going exactly the speed limit

he is well loved
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I really feel for you Nebraskans.  As a Counciltuckian, my CCW is not valid in Nebraska.  I always leave my CCW at home when visiting the Cornhusker State.  Ernie wants law-abiding citizens to be at the mercy of his felonious constituents.  And the asshats in the media are mostly anti-Second Amendment.  Todd & Tyler and Travis Justice think that no one should have to right to "sneak around with a gun in your coat.  Only criminals have a need for a concealed firearm."  I hope they never find themselves in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He's still alive

Lived in Bellevue from 83-89 (thanks Uncle Sam) and he was the biggest asshat back then. Good to see some things nevr change
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So what are the antis going to do when 48 states have concealed carry and crime drops in ALL of them as it rises in the two leftovers?

Are they still going to blame the guns?

How many times does someone have to hit himself in the head with a hammer before he's convinced
that hitting yourself in the head with a hammer causes bleeding, headaches,  and the occasional
depressed skull fracture?

I hope the antis figure it out before they pulp their miniscule brains.

CJ

I don't
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Nebraska seems as if it would be fairly pro-gun being it is mostly rural. Whats the deal!?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
As a dedicated CU fan, I could almost care less about NE.  But I'll make an exception in this case, for the better of all man kind.   (and to have an another adjoining state have ccw would be fine by me)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nebraska seems as if it would be fairly pro-gun being it is mostly rural. Whats the deal!?

Omaha and to a lesser degree Lincoln fucks up everthing  
alot of colleges in both so a high concentration of libtards
i was born and raised for 30 years in lincoln
Like IL and Chicago on a smaller scale
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top