Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:03:32 AM EDT
Is this accurate?

Some States have made it easier for active and discharged military personnel to obtain a license or permit to carry weapons.  Tennessee has reduced the mandatory time spent in the permit course by 1/2, for active or discharged individuals who can show proof of pistol training completed while in military service.  Florida will issue a resident or non-resident license to carry weapons, to active or discharged military individuals who send in a copy of their DD-214 with their application and fee.  Other states are considering similar measures that will make it easier for active soldiers and veterans to obtain a weapons license or permit.  

www.legallyarmed.com/military.htm

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If there is training requirement.

In my state there is no training requirement.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
not as far as I know in Arizona
I still had to sit through a 16 hour session as well as qualify on my weapon
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If there is training requirement.

In my state there is no training requirement.

Which state are you in?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Some what, when I got my CCL a couple of duty stations ago I didn't have to do the silly 50 rounds into a double sized silhouette target at 7m that everyone else in the class had to, this the instructors charged an extra 50 dollars to do.  All you had to do was prove you had qualified with a weapon before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
not as far as I know in Arizona
I still had to sit through a 16 hour session as well as qualify on my weapon

But you can open carry in AZ without a permit, correct?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some what, when I got my CCL a couple of duty stations ago I didn't have to do the silly 50 rounds into a double sized silhouette target at 7m that everyone else in the class had to, this the instructors charged an extra 50 dollars to do.  All you had to do was prove you had qualified with a weapon before.

What state was that in?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
OK
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
In a "shall issue" state, you just need to complete the prerequisites and they shall issue you the permit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In a "shall issue" state, you just need to complete the prerequisites and they shall issue you the permit.

I did a search but I cannot seem to find which states have open carry, concealed carry, shall issue, and the requirements for each.

Is there an internet reference?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump - any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
THE NRA.

Quoted:
Is there an internet reference?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Number one using Google....

Compendium of State Firearms Laws
www.nraila.org/media/misc/compendium.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.vaq34.com/junk/googlemotherfucker.jpg

Number one using Google....

Compendium of State Firearms Laws
www.nraila.org/media/misc/compendium.htm

I used google but I guess I choose the wrong wording in the search.

Thank you for your help.  It is better to ask than not know.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
www.packing.org

I go pick up my renewal tomorrow.  Got my letter in the mail today to come and get it.  
VA=shall issue, .mil copy of your DD214 or Mil I.D. = training

ETA - Link is good but site must be down at this time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
When I got my Florida non-res license, my DD214 sufficed for any training requirements and that was 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Kentucky everyone sets through the same 8 hour class, shoots the same 20 rounds at a B26 target and pays the same $65. Open carry is still free for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I just spent about an hour on the NRA-ILA referenced site.  I had no idea that Vermont was such a free state.  

Gets one thinking....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
The instructor at your local police department will probably have the best answer for you.  I know in Mass.  it doesn't matter.  I was a weapons instructor in the Marine Corps and I still had to wait 8 weeks for mine.  But in Mass, you're really waiting on the town and not the state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When I got my Florida non-res license, my DD214 sufficed for any training requirements and that was 4 years ago.

Works that way for residents too - DD214 proves adequate training.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Palo: YES we can open carry here in Arizona.

Except for "prohibited" places. Banks, Post Offices, Gov't. buildings.

And I have yet to pay attention to a private business-other than a bank-with a "No Weapons" sign on the door. I was looking at my cellphone when I walked in.

And that's why they call it "Concealed Carry".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top