Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 11:31:36 AM EST
Out shipping for a printer for the daughter. She needs one for school mostly printing papers. I bet she's had four Walmart/target printers that suck. Printer cartridges that don't last and crap software.
Please help me find a good one .
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:32:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 11:33:36 AM EST by Danner130]
Brother.

Linky
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:35:25 AM EST
B&W laser. Almost nobody actually needs color.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:42:35 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:46:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Danner130:
Brother.

Linky
View Quote

Lol, this is what I was going to recommend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:52:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 11:53:56 AM EST by Gopherboy128]
Just bought a HP Officejet 4650. It was $60 + tax at Office Depot. HP has a new ink cartridge service, where they mail you refills, before you run out, so for like $4/mo, you always have ink on hand. I like it. Beats paying $30/ea at the store, when you need to print RIGHT NOW and run out.

LINK
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:53:02 AM EST

B&W laser printer

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/SamsungUS/Pdpgallery-sl-m2885fw-xaa-600x600-C2-052016?$product-details-jpg$

SL-M2885FW/XAA Samsung Multifunction Express, Scanner, Copier, Printer, Wireless/ network, print from phone.
Automatic 2-sided print.

$100 +/- . Toner $40-50 on amazon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:10:02 PM EST
Brother.

Linky
View Quote

I have a similar Brother laser I picked up in 2010. Love it. No ink drying up, and I can't remember how many years I have been running on the high yield toner cart I put in when the original ran out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:16:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
Out shipping for a printer for the daughter. She needs one for school mostly printing papers. I bet she's had four Walmart/target printers that suck. Printer cartridges that don't last and crap software.
Please help me find a good one .
View Quote

I like Canons. Make sure to get a printer that uses several ink cartridges rather than one for all colors. I didn't even know these existed until recently.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:27:39 PM EST
Definitely brother laser. Toner can be had for like $11 for 2600 pages.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:35:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By scubadown:

This
View Quote
That.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:36:40 PM EST
They are disposable commodities these days.  Buy one then buy another one when it craps out.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:16:26 PM EST
Just bought a Cannon last week with the multiple color cartridges

Already regretting the decision
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:29:19 PM EST
Brother.

Linky
View Quote

Reviews are good is there any reason to jump up to the touch screen ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:31:03 PM EST

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

This

Seconded
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:34:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:
Just bought a HP Officejet 4650. It was $60 + tax at Office Depot. HP has a new ink cartridge service, where they mail you refills, before you run out, so for like $4/mo, you always have ink on hand. I like it. Beats paying $30/ea at the store, when you need to print RIGHT NOW and run out.

LINK
View Quote

I have this EXACT one, buy it, first printer I've owned that hasn't been terrible!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:35:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:

LINK
View Quote

Ink cost for that printer is around 5-6 cents a page black only, and around 10 cents a page for color ink. (not sure if your printer keeps both mounted or if you have to swap between them)
A similarly priced Brother laser (B&W) will operate for 1.9-2.6 cents a page.

Depending on how much the printer is used, and if color is really needed, its really hard to justify an inkjet for anything but higher end photography any more. Use it a lot and you get eaten by ink prices. Don't use it often and you have to waste ink on printhead clean cycles, if not outright replacing the not-yet-empty ink cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:39:45 PM EST
I've been using Canon printers. 
The ink cartridges are pretty expensive but the printers are cheap. You can't treat them like garbage like some commercial printer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:48:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 2:51:20 PM EST by Gopherboy128]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:

Ink cost for that printer is around 5-6 cents a page black only, and around 10 cents a page for color ink. (not sure if your printer keeps both mounted or if you have to swap between them)
A similarly priced Brother laser (B&W) will operate for 1.9-2.6 cents a page.

Depending on how much the printer is used, and if color is really needed, its really hard to justify an inkjet for anything but higher end photography any more. Use it a lot and you get eaten by ink prices. Don't use it often and you have to waste ink on printhead clean cycles, if not outright replacing the not-yet-empty ink cartridges.
View Quote

Yeah, I am waiting to see how swell this new HP Ink On Demand deal works... Right now I can print all I want for free until Feb 1, 2017. So, doing NFA submissions, and printing my 20 page trust, and all the forms to go with that, is nice. I have always used HP, but as others said, printers are disposable.

Also, my wife likes to print photos, and my son prints online coloring stuff, so black only doesn't work for us. But for $3/mo or whatever it is, can print up to 50 pages a month, plus roll-over pages, and when cartrdiges get low they send me new ones. So, $36/year for ink when I need it, beats what I pay at office stores, and I usually find out when I urgently need to print something.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:40:45 PM EST
My biggest concern is the monthly page limit. A few 4-5 page docs for each of you, a reprint or two of a school paper, and you are suddenly close to the limit. Of course, this is colored by my household experience trying to keep our printers stocked with paper.

Please let us know how this works in real life for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:48:54 PM EST
I just got a printer for the home based business we have. I ended getting two actually. I got a laser jet for the majority of the printing and then an ink jet for the color stuff. There are some efficient ink jet printers out there that can do the job that most people will be using them for, but I am pretty much over ink jet for the most part
Top Top