Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 2:02:45 PM EDT
Do most of you power down to standby or hibernation? Or do you just shut you system down if you are not going to use it for over a few hours?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When I'm home, my computers are on all the time.  I don't usually use power saving options because I like my PCs to be instantly available.  I'll turn my main PC off when I leave the house if I think I'm gonna be gone for a while.  I have 1 other PC that is on 24/7 because I often need to put and/or retrive files from it while I'm at work or at a friend's house.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I shutdown any time I'm out or not going to use the computer for an hour or more.

My new PC boots up in less than a minute so it's not like it's that big of a deal to wait for it. Plus keeping a pc running all the time isn't something I want to do if I'm paying for electricity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the looks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The computers run constantly, but the monitors power down after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Computer stays on but do have the power saver set way out there.   Doesn't do much good for after enough lax time my firewalls shut off the inet after enough attempted invasions. I then have to reboot anyway.

It's taken me a long time how to figure out keeping those asshole invaders off my machine and a constant battle to keep on top of them.  It's getting way old.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Windows Xp and I'm starting to use standby all of the time instead of shutting down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hibernation. It shuts down in like 5 seconds and starts up in like 10.

I do an actual reboot every week or so.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I'm home, my computers are on all the time.  I don't usually use power saving options because I like my PCs to be instantly available.  I'll turn my main PC off when I leave the house if I think I'm gonna be gone for a while.  I have 1 other PC that is on 24/7 because I often need to put and/or retrive files from it while I'm at work or at a friend's house.

Same with me
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You can shut them down?  Mine run 24/7.  I run web, mail, and FTP servers as well as spam filters on my computers and I like remotely accessing them from work.  Got to constantly see what's up you know .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top