Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 2:59:12 PM EDT
I wasn't thinking about upgrading until my friend started talking about upgrading from his crappy HP box. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my gaming PC to an AMD 64 3500+, EVGA 7800 256mb GTX, mobo, and ram and pass my old rig on to him.

The real question here is what I should ask for the components, intact, so my friend can get up and running with some real hardware.

AMD XP 3200+ 400mhz Barton (Paid $169 for OEM plus $14 for aftermarket heatsink/fan (quieter and better cooling capacity)
Asus  A7N8X-E Deluxe (Paid 80)
EVGA 6800GT with Arctic Cooling 5 heatsink/fan unit installed (Paid $405 plus $30 for Arctic Cooler 5)
2x512 Corsair Value Select RAM (Paid $156)

Also consider that I am installing all components for him.

This rig has been 100% rock solid for the past year and would be more than happy to handle any problems he encounters down the road.

I understand some of the components, mainly the processor, have risen in price since I paid for them and will not be passing this increase along to my friend.

Thanks for any advice guys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AMD XP 3200+ 400mhz Barton (Paid $169 for OEM plus $14 for aftermarket heatsink/fan (quieter and better cooling capacity) $289
Asus  A7N8X-E Deluxe (Paid 80) $85
EVGA 6800GT with Arctic Cooling 5 heatsink/fan unit installed (Paid $405 plus $30 for Arctic Cooler 5) $347 for v card
2x512 Corsair Value Select RAM (Paid $156) $77

The prices in red are  current retail new.
 First, socket A is phased out, AMD is no longer producing these chips and the MB maker's , to my knowledge are not coming out with anything new. it's "old tech ".
there's certainly nothing wrong with that system. i as a matter of fact i'm typing right now on a system with the same CPU and MB. it's my internet and games i can't play on my 64 systems computer.
I can't think of any reason why anybody would pay that kind of money now for a socket A system when for about the same you can put together a nice 64 system. I think of them as replacement parts.
maybe $ 400-500
???  just my $0.02   mmk

That's exactly what I was thinking on the processor, the raised the price because the only people that would be ordering them now would be people who already have a 32 bit setup and they want to upgrade their processor or need a replacement.

Thanks for your advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top