Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:06:37 PM EDT
I just bought another computer because my other one was getting a little old like 1999! Now I want to transfer the files and other thinks to my new computer. The problem is that the floppy and CD burner do not work on my old computer. My wife had gone some where and they told her to buy a Ethernet and the problem with this is that my old computer does not have a port to connect the cable to.

It does have a USB port and I though that I could connect the two computers together with that but the guy told my wife that it would not work. I need help really bad with this that old computer has a lot of files and old photos that we want. Thanks for the help..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Open up your old computer, yank the hard drive, slap it in your new computer and take the files you want.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Open up your old computer, yank the hard drive, slap it in your new computer and take the files you want.

How hard is that to do? I'v never messed with hard drive before or most any part inside my computer before.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Don't forget to set the old drive to slave...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If there's not too many files, have you tried just emailing them to yourself?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How hard is that to do? I'v never messed with hard drive before or most any part inside my computer before.

www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/178.html

www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

Invest in a USB pen drive... 256 meg should do.. if you dont have too many files to transfer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If there's not too many files, have you tried just emailing them to yourself?

There are a lot of them and yes I'v tried to do it but most of time I'v been over the 10mb on just a few photos.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, if I was 1500 miles closer I would help you out....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get one of those USB Flash drives that hold up to 512MB. Then use it later for backing up your stuff.

ETA: just like mrphelps suggested. Guess I should read everyone's posts...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
You could do this a couple of ways depending on your computer expertise and how much you want to spend.

1) Buy a USB external CD or DVD burner, hook it up to your old machine and burn all the files to disk for transfer (And then you also now have a copy of them if the new system ever goes down). You could also buy an external USB hard drive and transfer all the files to it. These are the most expensive methods as you would have the cost of the external CD drive (+cd's) or hard drives, but you would then have back ups of your data, which is never a bad thing! You can also use either of these devices on  your new computer.  Should all be "Plug N play" (Unless you are running win98, then you will need a device driver).

2) Buy a USB thumb drive (at least 512 mb) and transfer the files that way. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it would work. These are running about $70 to $100 right now. They work pretty good and you can also use them for future file transfers. Also should be "Plug N play (see above re: win98).

3) If you are not afraid to crack open your new box, take the hard drive out of the old machine, configure it as either a slave or cable select (jumper pin settings on the back of the drive) and install it in your new machine. The new machine should "Auto detect" the drive from you old machine and install it automatically. Then you can transfer the files from your old drive to your new one. This one won't cost you anything, but you need to make sure to configure it correctly or you could lock up the computer. One thing about this method is that breaking the seal on the new case (if there is one) may void the warranty, depending on where you bought the new system from.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Get this.......  

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=166854&sku=B133-1016

All you need, and only $20

Easiest way, if you're not computer savvy  

JB  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get this.......  

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=166854&sku=B133-1016

All you need, and only $20

Easiest way, if you're not computer savvy  

JB  

+1....that is way cool! I will need to get one of those my ownself!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top