Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/18/2005 3:53:44 AM EDT
I need to format a hard drive to wipe it clean so I can do a fresh install of XP Pro.
Service Pack 2 caused a number of problems on this machine and was told that it would be best to install SP2 after a clean install of XP Pro.

I tried to do a restore using several points with no luck, it's been screwed up for so long(SP2 installed March.) and now I would like to wipe it clean and reinstall the OS.

It's been quite a while since I formatted a HDD, I forgot how to do it, and I never did one with an XP OS.

My question is how do I go about formatting a drive that already has XP pro installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:01:04 AM EDT

I'm going to assume you've tried going to My Computer, right clicking the drive, and clicking "format".

I'm not going to test it here to see if it works. :)

Do you have the XP install CD? When you boot with that CD in the drive, does it let you boot from the CD as a rescue disk?

If so, boot to rescue, and go to command line if it gives you that option. Format the drive from that point.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:01:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:
My question is how do I go about formatting a drive that already has XP pro installed?

Boot up your computer using your XP CDROM...
You'll come to a part asking what drive to install XP on.
It will allow you to reformat the drive and create a fresh partition to install it on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:23:06 AM EDT
Boot your PC with the XP disc in the cd drive. You have to hit "delete" when that option pops up on the screen.

It takes awhile for a lot of things to load but you basically just follow the on-screen directions.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PrivateJoker:

It will allow you to reformat the drive and create a fresh partition to install it on.

Thank you very much , that's a big help PrivateJoker.

One more question; That will start the XP install, and it will give me the chance to format then, but what if I wanted to install Linux Fedora Core. How can I formatt and leave the XP install from going in just in case I want to use a different OS?

Thans again.

Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:33:02 AM EDT

One more question; That will start the XP install, and it will give me the chance to format then, but what if I wanted to install Linux Fedora Core. How can I formatt and leave the XP install from going in just in case I want to use a different OS?

Thans again.

After the format it will start to copy files, just turn off the tower.

I hope your linux is a bootable disk.

If The linux is a bootable disk you should be able to use it to delete the partition on the drive, format it, and then install the OS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT

I need to format a hard drive to wipe it clean so I can do a fresh install of XP Pro.
Service Pack 2 caused a number of problems on this machine and was told that it would be best to install SP2 after a clean install of XP Pro.

You would be much better off slipstreaming SP2 into your Windows volume and then creating a new installation CD. After tearing my hair out with SP2 updates, now I just do a clean Win XP SP2 install and everything works great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:47:42 PM EDT
Thanks again, finally got it done today using the XP disc.

Unfortnately the Linux CD's were not bootable, but I can always install them on this old workhorse.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:11:10 PM EDT

Thans again.

the way I'd do a multi OS is get a second HD. disconnect one of them and install linux. disconnect the other and install windows (to prevent any accidents) Then boot with this utility on a floppy and select the HD you want to boot from.
btmgr.webframe.org/
if you do multiple partitions on one drive, and install windows first the linux install will likely have a multiboot option, but they don't always work right

I'd also make a slipstream cd for XP SP2
www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:26:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:

the way I'd do a multi OS is get a second HD. disconnect one of them and install linux. disconnect the other and install windows (to prevent any accidents) Then boot with this utility on a floppy and select the HD you want to boot from.
btmgr.webframe.org/
if you do multiple partitions on one drive, and install windows first the linux install will likely have a multiboot option, but they don't always work right

Awesome, thank you sharky30!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:49:33 AM EDT
I wouldn't even bother with SP-2, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I wouldn't even bother with SP-2, IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:08:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:55:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:

btmgr.webframe.org/

Awesome, thank you sharky30!

You're welcome, glad it helped
Top Top