Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/6/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
Hey,

I have Vonage phone service with a router and a cable modem internet access. My phone goes dead (no dial tone) and I lose my connection to the internet after an hour or so being online. When I unplug my power to the modem, Vonage router and computer for a minute or so and I reboot I again have a working phone with dial tone and an internet connection.

Is my cable modem going? Is this something to do with Vonage? Do I have a virus? I've run AVG, Spybot, AdAware, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, HiJack This and CW Shredder with negative results. I'm ready to put a hole in my computer, any help would be appreciated.

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:02:32 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
unplug everything not necessary to have an internet connection. test that. keep adding things until it breaks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:04:49 PM EDT
Does your computer still get to the internet when the phone has problems?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Does your computer still get to the internet when the phone has problems?

Negative. The internet access goes a few seconds before the phone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 7:35:52 PM EDT by 556_Chowder]
Hopefully your running win xp. you need to setup your QOS packet scheduler in windows. Also update the firmware in your router.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:43:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 556_Chowder:
Hopefully your running win xp. you need to setup your QOS packet scheduler in windows. Also update the firmware in your router.

Um, what? Could you say that in layman's terms? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:14:44 PM EDT
Since both the computer and the phone are run through the router, next time try just unplugging the power to the router and then plugging it back in. If everything works fine after that (when the PC and phone haven't been touched) then you know it's the router's problem.
Routers have "firmware" which is software that usually has improvements over time--in different versions--and it has to be updated. So you might want to check the router's manufacturer/model page and see how to find out what firmware version yours has got, and what the newest one is. Normally the main admin page for the router shows the firmware version number. The website will have a program you download and run to update the firmware.
Also since we are here: is the cable modem YOURS, or did the ISP supply it? Because cable modems have firmware that may need updating too--but if the ISP supplied the modem, then they usually push firmware updates down the line anyway so you don't need to ever bother with it....
~~~
Top Top