Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:11:16 AM EDT
I just got a new drive becuase my old one crashed.

I need to get a few documents from my old drive( I have a link to my old drive and have them saved) but it wont open them.

I think one of the reason is because on the old drive I was using "Microsoft Word" and now im using "602 Text."

I can get the documents to partly come up....and can read a few things here and there...but the rest of it is in some kind of code.

Any ideas?  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not reinstall Word?

Or, if you don't have Word available, install AbiWord www.abisource.com/ or Open Office www.openoffice.org/, both free.  I think both open current MS Word documents.

Jim

ETA:  Hadn't seen 602 Text before, I see it is also 'supposed' to be MS Word compatible.  Haven't run into that problem before with a Word compatible processor...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not familar with "602 Text" but if it's just vanilla text editor then it will show all of Word's formatting information as junk.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be the formatting code for Word.

Try this:
Word Viewer 2003 or reinstall Word if you have it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
So you have retrieved the files from your old drive, but they won't open on the new drive?

Two possibilities:

1.  The file is corrupted.
2.  The program you're using the view the files isn't compatible.

It is most likely number 2, but 1 is a possibility.

Try Microsoft's free Word Document viewer.  If they open fine with it, the problem is your word processing software.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm not familar with "602 Text" but if it's just vanilla text editor then it will show all of Word's formatting information as junk.

Yup thats whats its doing....but I can read bits and pieces of it.

I installed Abi and Microsoft Word Viewer...nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top