Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:09:22 PM EDT
Ok I'm trying to play Medal of Honor Spearhead
I have a 1.3gig AMD machine running Win 98SE with 500meg ram, 64meg Radeon 7000 for video. I'v updated to the latest version of the game and upgraded to the latest video drivers for my card. And even with the game on its lowest settings I can't get more the 10FPS when I'm playing which makes you realy not wanna play it. Any ideas to up the FPS. I'v posted this on many game and MOH forums and no one can tell me anything. They all say I should buy a new video card but I realy don't under stand why my system has atleast twice what the game wants to run and I can't drop $200+ for a 128 meg card.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
"Im running Windows 98SE"

WTF is your major malfunction numnuts?  [size=6] WINDOWS 98SE?????[/size=6]

My guess is that it is either a motherboard issue or a harddrive issue.

I really shouldn't help your ass until you get a real OS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
MOH is a huge cpu HOG!!

Huge I tell ya.

What CPU?  You need at least a PIII.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
MOH is a huge cpu HOG!!

Huge I tell ya.

What CPU?  You need at least a PIII.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Yup.  I'd upgrade computers..trust me, MOHSH is worth the $2k for a better comp!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar problem after upgrading from a 64mb geforce 2 card to a 128mb DDR card.  When I put the new card in it was slower.  I was like wtf is going on.  What happened is that the drivers defaulted to ms directx or something like that instead of the opengl drivers.  I changed the driver setting in the game and instantly went from 10fps to 70 fps.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Im running Windows 98SE"

WTF is your major malfunction numnuts?  [size=6] WINDOWS 98SE?????[/size=6]

My guess is that it is either a motherboard issue or a harddrive issue.

I really shouldn't help your ass until you get a real OS.
View Quote

Ya... but linux is not for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I run Windows XP Pro
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
This may be a really silly question, but, are you sure that your computer is using the Radeon 7000 card to process the video for the game. My friend had a similar problem. He had installed a new display adapter / graphics accelerator card in his computer. He loaded all the software for the device using the autorun feature of the PC. The computer recognized the new hardware and he restarted just like the software told him to do. For some reason the machine decided to route all video through the stock video card. I told him to go to the control panel and click on "systems". I then directed him to "device manager" and had him open it up. I had him look for the device titled "display adapter" and had him click on the + sign to expand the entries. His computer showed both display adapters. I told him to tell the machine to remove the old stock display adapter. Then I told him for good measure to reload drivers AGAIN for the new adapter by double clicking on the new adapter shown on the device manager list. When the new window opened up displaying the characteristics of the new adapter, I had him click on the "update driver" and let the machine reload the drivers. After rebooting the machine, all was fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The ATI drivers I've dealt with were a sharp piercing pain in the dick to load properly... under NT 4 anyways.  That's why I use an nvidia card now.  Make sure that your drivers are loaded properly, and you may actually want to try a couple different revisions of the driver.  While that card won't get you 100FPS in a game like that, it should be more than playable.

And please, for the love of all that is righteous and good, get Windows 2000 on that box.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Download the Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life.  Doesn't require a ton of memory or that much speed.  Plus imo is a better multiplayer game.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My friend has my half-life game I used to play the D-Day mod for quake 2 and from what I'v heard about the DOD mod it dose'nt seem too good
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
98se is not the problem, cpu is not the problem.

i believe your video card is too slow for the game.

there are some good cards out there for under 100 that will bring you up to par.

FX5200
radeon 9200

either one of those will do you good...or you can always go for some of their bigger brother muscle cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top