BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 2:16:07 PM EDT
Right after my desktop appears, a message pops up;

"Runtime error

Program;c\progra\purene1\portma\portaol.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

It freezes everything.

What in the world does it mean and how do I fix it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Right after my desktop appears, a message pops up;

"Runtime error

Program;c\progra\purene1\portma\portaol.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

It freezes everything.

What in the world does it mean and how do I fix it.

Uninstall/reinstall Port magic.  

Edit if you didn't install it then just remove it and download tiny firewall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Might have something to do with AOL, I would try booting up in safe mode and then go into regedit and remove any instances of portaol.exe so it no longer loads up that file.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would boot in safe mode, go to the command prompt(windows key + R), type "msconfig" and hit enter, select "selective startup" and uncheck the startup box.

Stay out of Regedit if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

ETA: follow up by deleting anything that has to do with aol, even if you use aol, just set it up as a generic connection using your password and ip settings.  This will make it so you can just use IE or Firefox as your browser and not the junky AOL one IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips, I'm trying them now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would boot in safe mode, go to the command prompt(windows key + R), type "msconfig" and hit enter, select "selective startup" and uncheck the startup box...

go to the run prompt, not the command prompt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would boot in safe mode, go to the command prompt(windows key + R), type "msconfig" and hit enter, select "selective startup" and uncheck the startup box...

go to the run prompt, not the command prompt.

yeah but I told him how to do it so it shouldn't matter, lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I deleted portmagic, but my desktop is still frozen, won't let me do anything. Think I should uninstall AOL altogether and reinstall?  

PS; I hate AOL, the wife likes it. I use Mozilla, never had a problem.

ETA;  I'm trying "system restore" first.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I assumed it had something to do with aol because of the error you gave, however, after someone pointed out that it was port magic, the problem probably has nothing to do with AOL.

I would disable all startup items as I described first, if the problem persists the sys restore will put your reg to an earlier time which might fix the problem.  

I never have anything running on startup, it eats your mem and usually half of it is stuff you won't use all the time, but it is still running in the background.  This can change the boot time and pc performance drastically.

P.S. I am no expert on any of this, just someone who has owned a windows box since 3.1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
With those suggestions, in safe mode I get a black screen with "safe mode" in all four corners, nothing else.  My bedroom window is open and I'm ready to launch this thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the pc have a restore partition on the HD?  If so when booting you should be able to hit F10 or another function key(may vary) and go into a restore mode.

This will however format your HD and erase all data on it in the windows partition.
^ if you do this you WILL LOSE all of the data on the windows partition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well I deleted portmagic, but my desktop is still frozen, won't let me do anything. Think I should uninstall AOL altogether and reinstall?  

Did you delete portmagic or did you uninstall it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you delete portmagic or did you uninstall it?

uninstalled
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have tried repairing portmagic before I unistalled it if it had the option available.  Have you tried reinstalling it and see what happens, or can you even get into your system?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would have tried repairing portmagic before I unistalled it if it had the option available.  Have you tried reinstalling it and see what happens, or can you even get into your system?

Not exactly computer savy. It appears I cannot get in, although someone with more expertise would probably make a quick fix of it, oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top