Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 8:21:48 PM EDT
What would I ever do without you guys?

Anyway, I just bought a new computer today...nothing fancy.  It is an HP 3200+ AMD Processor, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, etc.  It says that it has "Integrated graphics with 64 MB shared Video Memory."

I also bought the game "Myst IV".  It says I need a 32 MB DirectX compliant card...

When I try to lay MYST, I see problems like this:

It looks like a problem with the video card....but I seem to have the minimum requirements.  It was much worse, until I turned off some of the "extra" video features of the game, and I adjusted both the monitor settings and the game settings so they would match.

Now what?  Please don't tell me the computer I just bought is a POS...(I paid $729 for it with a 17" flat screen monitor and a printer from HP...)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Integrated graphics suck.  If possible ya might want to upgrade to a stand alone graphics card.  The rest of your specs seem fine.

It says I need a 32 MB DirectX compliant card...

I think this is your problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
first of all shared video memory means that the systems video is borrowing part of your RAM (which I see is 512mb) to opperate.  When you add that borrowed ram and the amount of memory it takes to actually run windows.. and the application.. such as myst... you will definatly start to run low on memory.

best solution to your problem is to purchase a third party video card.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Look, the above are all great suggestions but try the easiest thing first ... Update your video drivers from the manufacturer's web site.  I had a similar issue while trying to play "Counter Strike:  Source" Beta.  I updated the video drivers for my machine and the problem went away.  Never assume that because you bought a new computer it came with the latest drivers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look, the above are all great suggestions but try the easiest thing first ... Update your video drivers from the manufacturer's web site.  I had a similar issue while trying to play "Counter Strike:  Source" Beta.  I updated the video drivers for my machine and the problem went away.  Never assume that because you bought a new computer it came with the latest drivers.

yeah.. not a bad idea... but it wont solve his problem.

a) the computer is a brand new manufactured PC.. which means its loaded with all sorts of crap that starts up with windows and eats the resources to death.

b) 512mb of RAM is hardly a solid enough base to run windows on.  when you take what i mentioned above and chip away at it with all this other junk you will quickly be relying heavily on virtual memory.. which gets a big fat F for functionality when it comes to games.

c) let this be a lesson to those folks looking to buy a computer.  support your local computer shop.. go have one built.. you will get what you pay for (local friendly service from somone who is selling you a computer.. not some punk kid who is pawning off a POS shelf unit).  when you buy from these huge Best Buy type stores.. you pay up.. but not only do you get your computer.. you get all their advertisements and adware/demoware/crapware with it.  b0000!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a) the computer is a brand new manufactured PC.. which means its loaded with all sorts of crap that starts up with windows and eats the resources to death.

b) 512mb of RAM is hardly a solid enough base to run windows on.  when you take what i mentioned above and chip away at it with all this other junk you will quickly be relying heavily on virtual memory.. which gets a big fat F for functionality when it comes to games.

c) let this be a lesson to those folks looking to buy a computer.  support your local computer shop.. go have one built.. you will get what you pay for (local friendly service from somone who is selling you a computer.. not some punk kid who is pawning off a POS shelf unit).  when you buy from these huge Best Buy type stores.. you pay up.. but not only do you get your computer.. you get all their advertisements and adware/demoware/crapware with it.  b0000!

I heartily endorse point "c)" above.  I've been working with computers my entire life (although largely UNIX based operating systems for the last 10 years) and the only good PCs (flexibility and upgradability) have been machines that I've built myself.  Unless you really know what you're looking at when buying from Best Buy et. al. a custom build is by far the best option and often is no more expensive than machines from Best Buy and their ilk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry about your luck.  HP blows.

With that said, your best bet is to get a stand alone vid card.

If you don't want to do that, there may, (big may) be a BIOS option to allocate more system memory for Vid purposes.  If you can find it, hit del key while booting usually, try allocating 64 MB or even 128 MB to Vid memory.

It's always a good idea to get the latest drivers too.

Best Regards,

Buck
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a Bloody Dragon 128mb video card off of EBAY. I did, and this thing smokes. Only about $50-$65.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Turn down the video quality of the game.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
512 MB is plenty for XP...you need an AGP video card...I recommend a Radeon...you'll see a huge difference...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, the integrated video is probably what is screwing you.

Try updating the drivers first and see what happens.  You MIGHT get rid of the artifacts but the performace/visuals are still going to suck hard even when compared to a lower end standalone card.  

Integrated graphics are just a way for the system builder to save a few bucks.  Works fine for running a browser or office suite but is NOT the way to go for any kind of games that require 3D.  Your choke point in that system will always be the graphics unless you get a *real* card.  Too bad given the AMD 3200+.  You'll NEVER see what that CPU can do without a *good* GPU to complement it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 to what everyone else said.

Can we get a computer section in the EE?  If so I might start building computers for profit again and pay for a dealer account
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 to what everyone else said.

Can we get a computer section in the EE?  If so I might start building computers for profit again and pay for a dealer account

I gave up on that a few years ago, you just can't make any money, Best Buy and Wal Mart sell computers for less than you can build them.

I know.  Just thinking that if by some chance there are say 100 people here willing to pay for a GOOD computer then there is some money in that.

There's no money to be made in them anymore as long as people settle for junk that may or may not work right.  Gateway, Dell, etc, realize this.  This is why (and specifically told to employees) you see them selling TV's, DVD players, stereos, etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:10:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Go to newegg.com buy a Radeon based video card, slip it in the AGP, crack a beer and salute the sky.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#17]
That's why I'm running a hotrodded Dell 400SC
AGP vid is the only way to go for any type of gaming.  Integrated video (even if it's "Extreme") is only good for office work and surfing the web.
Hell, my 6Year old daughters new Barbie game wants 32 meg DX8 video ..
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I would make sure you have the latest Direct X API's from Microsoft. Download them here ---->  Direct X
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, get an Radeon video card

I got a 9600XT, I think they are about $150 now, it kicks ass for a mid level card.

even a 9800 se($129) or 9600 se($99) should work fine unless you plan on playing
DOOM3 or Half Life2(when it finally comes out)

with everything else, you get what you pay for
pay a little extra and extend the longevity of your machine

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
That's why I bought a Compaq Presario 3000 series with the AGP GeForce4 420 Go 32M instead of the integrated 64 meg ATI card.

Quoted:
Anyway, I just bought a new computer today...nothing fancy.  It is an HP 3200+ AMD Processor, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, etc.  It says that it has "Integrated graphics with 64 MB shared Video Memory."

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you dis-able all the un-necessary crap that windows loads?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you dis-able all the un-necessary crap that windows loads?  

There are a few ways you can do this.  You can go to the control panel and "add and remove programs" and remove all the crap that you dont use.  You can also go to the start menu and click run.  in the run box type msconfig  click the startup tab and uncheck the things you dont want to run.  HOWEVER.. always know what you are uninstalling.. or unchecking.. otherwise you could remove something you didnt really want to remove.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Check your owners manual and see if you can disable the onboard video, then find out if it has an AGP slot (doubtful, but there are many good solid PCI video cards out there), then go get a standalone graphics adapter.

The MB is porbably of proprietary design, so your only outlet for help is the manufacturer's support line...

Good luck.

I think many motherboards automatically disconnect the onboard video if you install a stand alone AGP or PCI video card.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Try turning on v-sync in the video options.

This MIGHT solve it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I got a 9600XT, I think they are about $150 now, it kicks ass for a mid level card.

even a 9800 se($129) or 9600 se($99) should work fine unless you plan on playing

Good Luck!

Stay away from the SE models of both cards, they are horribly handicapped from the factory. Get either the standard, the Pro or the XT version.
I can play Doom 3 just fine wtih my 9600 pro...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck!

Stay away from the SE models of both cards, they are horribly handicapped from the factory. Get either the standard, the Pro or the XT version.
I can play Doom 3 just fine wtih my 9600 pro...

I agree that the SE versions are not that hot, but they are not useless either. I get acceptable frame rates with Doom3 at 800x600, high quality settings. And I have no problems playing America's Army at 1024x768, high quality textures. All this with an Athlon 2000+ (POS E-machines bought at Sam's club). My card is an 9600SE. Frame rates might not be greatest, but they are certainly playable.

That said, if you can afford a "pro" model, by all means go for it!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#30]
9600 non-pro models going for around 70 bucks on newegg.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top