Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 7:59:31 PM EDT
About 10 minutes ago I restarted my computer and went to Outlook Express and all 5000+ messages were gone from my inbox folder.  The other folders still had their messages.  Does anyone have an idea what has went wrong?  I don't think I downloaded and virus.  I haven't opened an attachment in ages.  I need some help bad!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
check to see if they were archived. You can find the directions in the help menu. That is assuming that Express has the archive option. That's the best I can tell you besides restarting.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
About 10 minutes ago I restarted my computer and went to Outlook Express and all 5000+ messages were gone from my inbox folder.  The other folders still had their messages.  Does anyone have an idea what has went wrong?  I don't think I downloaded and virus.  I haven't opened an attachment in ages.  I need some help bad!
View Quote

Either your inbox.mbx file got corrupted or your archived em all.  If it corrupted, and you didn't have it backed up, you're screwed.  If for some reason it archived everything without you knowing it, read the help file on archiving.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a start, find/search, and look for "inbox.dbx" on your C drive.

See how many it finds.  With 5000 messages it should be huge.  

If you find multiples, possibly it has been accidentally moved to the wrong folder, or gotten corrupt.

Run a scandisk, or chkdsk /f (depending on OS) and see if there are disk problems.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked for the "inbox.dbx" file and found 2 files one was inbox.dbx 72 MB and the other was inbox(1).dbx 121kb.  Any ideas how to switch back to ibbox.dbx 72MB?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If they are both in the same folder, you should be able to simply rename the inbox(1).dbx to inbox(1).old.

Do this with OE closed.   Then open OE and see what happens.  If it makes a new one... let me know.  I can do some experimenting.

Post your reults here or email me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Igo,just checked again when I searched for inbox.dbx and they were both named the same thing when I did the search.  When I opened the folder that is where I got the  inbox(1).dbx  
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
When you do the search, are they both in the same folder?

They should be.  But two files cannot exist in the same folder with the same name... so something is not right there.

Rename the small one to inbox.old.

Make sure the large one is in the \outlook express folder.

Open OE.  I tested this here, worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Igo, thanks for the help, but I'm a little afraid to screw with it.  With my luck it will frig everything up!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are afraid to "screw" with it.... then you will never fix anything.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

One word...Eudora.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top