Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 3:39:50 PM EDT
I have been infected with some kind of very unwanted AD disease!

Damn thing opens new windows on my system with all kinds of ads I don't want.  Some people have too much time on their hands!!

Viruses, un wanted ads and sites that "trap" you and refuse to allow a window to be closed make me LIVID!![pissed] [pissed]

Short of a nuclear weapon, how do I KILL this thing?

I run Norton Anti Virus, Zone alarm and a firewall and this SHIT STILL gets in!!!!!!! [pissed] !!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.lavasoftusa.com[/url]

Download Adaware. It's like Norton for Ads and Spyware.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Webwasher from webwasher.com. It's free to non-commercial users. If you don't want an image from a web page you visit frequently just right click on it and add it to the filter list. Will prevent your browser from being hi-jacked from those pesky websites.

Filters unwanted advertising banners, pop-up windows, animated images, Java scripts, and Java applets from Web pages. Additional objects/contents can be added to the filter list at any time.

Privacy Protection: filters “cookies”, referers, and Web bugs. Cuts down loading time for Web pages.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this just ads from pop ups or is it from MS Net Send? Here's info on Net Send [url]http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/20020923_net_send_yet_another_type_of_spam.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Webwasher is pretty good, it'll also try to strip out embedded ads.  If you're pretty much looking to just zap popups you can take a look at the free version of PopUp Stopper at [url]http://www.panicware.com/product_downloads.html[/url].

Like NAM said, Ad-Aware is a must to clean out a lot of the crap the scumware leaves behind. You'll also need to download and install RefUpdate and run it regularly to keep the Ad-Aware config file updated.

You'll need to use both ad-aware and PopUpStopper (or its ==) to keep this crap at bay.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Already have AdAware and Popup Killer.  Will look at the rest.  I suspect I am a victim of MS Net.

Pretty soon I will be running more TSR defense programs than anything else!!

I swear, I think virus crap is written by McAfee and Norton to enhance profit.  The net has been hijacked by scum and thier evil programs. [flame] [pissed]

I would like to [frag] the lot of 'em!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I run mozilla, which has built-in popup protections.

I would suggest adaware for other junk,  but mozilla works good for popups..
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Mickey,

I agree with the advise given above.  All are good apps.  You might also want to investigate Guard-IE.  I've been using it for a while and it definately gets rid of those popup windows.  You can get it from [url=http://www.guardwall.com]FailSafe Technologies, Inc.[/url]

E-95
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[url]www.lavasoftusa.com[/url]

Download Adaware. It's like Norton for Ads and Spyware.
View Quote

I just spent about an hour learning how to use Adaware. I assaulted my hdd for about another two hours with it and I must say, it works. A little bit left to go though.

I hate fuckin gator.

-T.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a hardware firewall (Linksys) with the Pro version of Zone Alarm.  Cable connection.  Has been great until now.  Just installed PopUp Stopper.  Will see how IT works!  

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.  This SPAM stuff raises my anger level to a 12 on a 1-10 scale!!!!!!!!  I would like to drag these vermin through the ether and wring their collective necks!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
If your running XP, to stop MS Net Send you go to:

Start>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Services>>scroll down to Messenger, highlight it and on the upper left of the window, click on Stop the service.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
What can I use that would allow "Fill In's" like Gator but without the Spyware?

I enjoy the fill in stuff.

I have PopUpStopper but it seems the only thing it "Stop's" is the Board Code, Icon Legend, and Anim. Legend on AR15dotCom!!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Something worked.  No trash windows tonight.

?? for GB - Any way to defeat these bastards that steal control when their site comes up?  I mean the ones that refuse to allow you to close the window with any of the four ways I know about?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I use "Pop-up Stopper, AdAware, TWO virus programs AND multiple filters on my email.
It's the price we have to pay for all this togetherness!
I also believe that "hacking",spreading pop-ups and spam should carry the death penalty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to [url]www.smartin-designs.com[/url] and download his hosts file & the Hostess program.  This will tell your computer that the address of the vast majority of banner, pop-up, etc. ads is a non-existant computer & you'll get a nice red X instead.  (It dosn't stop the pop-ups from appearing, but since it never gets to the intended destination, it doesn't take over your browser.)  It can interfere with redirection services and companies whose pictures are hosted by .coms that are blocked, but you can turn the hosts file off in that case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top