Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2001 6:33:26 AM EDT
I just looked at a Colt AR15A3 Tactical Carbine
that was offered as a pre-ban rifle by the original owner.  Now I checked the Ser #s on this site and found that the Tactical Carbine's cutoff was BD000134 and is supposed to be a rare item.  This rifle had a ser # of BD0017xx
which is over the cutoff for pre-ban.  So, is this a LEO rifle made after the ban (it is not marked LEO anywhere on the rifle) or is the ser# list wrong?  Of course the bottom line I need to know is if this is a pre-ban AR15?    
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Torakan, the serial number list is correct.  This is not a legal pre-ban rifle.  It was probably a transition model made after the ban and so is not marked as LEO.  Colt did a lot of weird things.  Trust the serial numbers.  For you to legally own the rifle the evil BL and FH must be removed.  The rifle is worth no more than any post-ban, about $800, given the serial number.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Torakan, Fox is absolutely right. If there is any doubt on your mind you can also call Colt direct at 1-800-965-2658. Tell them you want to verify a serial number for a pre ban rifle, they will give you an answer right away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Another good clue that a AR-15A3 is a post ban is that the price will be under $3,500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top