Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 9:57:17 AM EDT
So my wife and I have been getting repeated calls (Daily)on our answering machine from a recording.(Collection agency name on the CID)
I called the number that was left and before I could say anything they asked if this was "Mrs. Oneshot"? I replied "NO" and that they would be talking to me as they were always calling my house. They said they could not talk to me for security reasons and I called BS and told them they were going to talk to me. My wife grabbed the phone and asked why they were constantly calling. They then asked for her last 4 to verify it was really her, she said "NO" You tell me! They then asked if her birthday was (Insert date) and she said "No" they had the year numbers swapped. They immediatly hung up on her!
Less than a week later another message was on the machine, recorded message. I called it and got an automated message, it asked for the last four of your SSN to verify account. I punched in a random number and it than asked if this is Mrs. Oneshot press 1. I pressed 1 and it said they were trying to collect on an amount of $500.00+ dollars on behalf of T-mobile.
Here's the deal, we have never had any dealings with T-mobile! Except my wife's pay by the minute phone which she buys the phone cards for. So there is no way possible that we could owe them money. We have recieved no letters or anything of the sort.
I think they are Phishing for info, they have our phone number and some misc. info. Because when I call they know who is calling and they verify the account with a random number!
I'm worried about our absolute perfect credit, were going to pull a report today. But in the mean time how do I get them to quit calling etc. I filed a report on the FTC site but the online report was nothing short of retarded.
What does General discussion have to say?

Here is their info:
Feel free to place random calls if needed!

AmSher
600 Beacon Parkway West, Suite 300
Birmingham, AL 35209
[email protected]
phone 205-322-4110
800-955-7632
fax 205-251-0448Caller ID: 1-205-313-2640
Caller: AMSHER is what they said
Call Type: Debt Collector
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of good info online but one thing to do is to send them a letter asking for written verification/validation of the debt.

See below:

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/qt/debtvalidation.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm worried about our absolute perfect credit, were going to pull a report today. But in the mean time how do I get them to quit calling etc.

I kept getting calls from people about a Sears credit card. The birthdate wasn't right, the card was opened two years after I was born, and the card never showed up on any of my credit reports. Naturally, I refused to give them my social when asked.

They wouldn't stop calling. For two years. The calls did slow down when, after giving the usual "this ain't me" speech, I started talking really really dirty to whomever was calling.

After two years I finally got a guy who said, after the whole wrong birthdate, etc. crap, "well, guess this isn't you. I'll take it off right now."
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm worried about our absolute perfect credit, were going to pull a report today. But in the mean time how do I get them to quit calling etc.

I kept getting calls from people about a Sears credit card. The birthdate wasn't right, the card was opened two years after I was born, and the card never showed up on any of my credit reports. Naturally, I refused to give them my social when asked.

They wouldn't stop calling. For two years. The calls did slow down when, after giving the usual "this ain't me" speech, I started talking really really dirty to whomever was calling.

After two years I finally got a guy who said, after the whole wrong birthdate, etc. crap, "well, guess this isn't you. I'll take it off right now."

I would seriously give that a try but they call while were both at work and it's always a recording!! Wife would get a kick out of that!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
"I would prefer that all communication be in writing.  Do not call again."  Click.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I get these type calls too.   Save the number and google it up.   You won't be the only one that's the target of the scam.

Mine was a 1-800 number.

ETA I'm getting these calls on a cell phone, one that is used very little and in my memory the number is not given out for contacts.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
An attorney can stop this with just one letter.  Might cost a few bucks but it'll get them off your back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do, do NOT affirm that you owe the debt (if it is not yours)

Have them send you a letter for the debt.  If it is not yours, contact the credit bureau and send the collector a "Cease and Desist" letter (Certified priority mail).  If they contact you again after the receive the letter (except to sue you), you can file suit against the collection agency. Check your credit report for fraud and dispute any charges made fraudulently.   If the debt is NOT yours and they sue you, get an attorney as well, as you can sue for wrongful tort.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so the wife pulled the credit report and we are good to go, NO issues going on there. I called this company and they said they would remove us from the list again! Let's see! Online it sounds like T-mobile lost a whole shitload of private info on people! as well as not being a very nice company german owned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top