Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2008 12:41:01 PM EDT
Anybody got any good remedies?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop having herpes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Did this 'blister' appear after a date with a girl named 'Bubbles'?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did this 'blister' appear after a date with a girl named 'Bubbles'?

Allegedly
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Rub some chicken shit on lip. Dosen't do anything but keeping you from licking said lip.  Stop running with dirtlegs.......................
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
HaHa no, I've gotten them occasionally since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean it didn't come from sex with seven anonymous women behind a truck stop????

The lack of herpes knowledge on this board is frightening.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
ugh, they suck.  I get them if I sunburn my lips, or under heavy stress.  I havent found anything that helps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Allegedly lysine is supposed to help.  So is less stress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Allegedly lysine is supposed to help.  So is less stress.

and less herpes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just dont chow box when ya have one (a breakout), or you have given your partner genital herpes.

On a happy note, you still get the same increase of plaque deposits in your arteries whether you have herpes above or below the waist!
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
ABREVIA I think is how it is spelled, little blue tube.  Works damn well if it is just starting if it has already developed your in for the long haul.  Yeah, I knew some skanks in my day.. so what
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just dont chow box when ya have one (a breakout), or you have given your partner genital herpes.

On a happy note, you still get the same increase of plaque deposits in your arteries whether you have herpes above or below the waist!

Even worse is when a woman's genital herpes gives you oral herpes. I hate that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Google the folowing - L-Lysine, Licorice root extract, Olive leaf extract. Resveratrol.

Also, check out Arginine. Foods containing high levels of this can trigger outbreaks by diminishing the positive effects of L-Lysine.

If you have feel a fever blister is incoming, take 2000 milligrams of L-Lysine for a few days. It probably won't even develop. It cheap safe and your body needs it anyway for protien synthesis.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Abreva is supposed to help shorten the duration.  It is a topical anti-viral available over the counter at most pharmacies.  It is expensive, though, and doesn't work for everyone.

In the realm of prevention, try to stay generally healthy, as the virus reactivates when your body is stressed.  Mental stress can also be a trigger.

Something you may also want to think about living in TX is wearing a lip balm with a good sunblock in it.  UVA/UVB has been shown to increase outbreaks in those with a lot of exposure/time outdoors.

Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've gotten cold sores since I was a little kid, so I have no idea how I got it. It usually happens about twice a year when it's real dry, my lips are chapped, and I don't have any Chap Stick nearby.

The only correct answer is ABREVA. If you can tell it's about to happen - you know the tell-tale signs - start applying it. They resolve in half the time of what it would have taken without the Abreva.

+1 Most people get cold sores when they are kids. More than half of Americans have them if I recall correctly so some of the fools in here acting like their shit don't stink are likely to be a carrier for the virus themselves.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Lysine does help ALOT!

A few years ago, I go my first cold sore after getting the flu, then I'd get one everytime my body got stressed, from lack of sleep, hangovers etc. I've been taking Lysine vitamins everyday and I hardly ever get a cold sore anymore.

Trust me, it works.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
abreva or hepecin.

I get them too, no big deal...and I fully admit it was from kissing a girl who had one  Hit it with that shit at the first sign, and they usually go away before they're even noticable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've gotten cold sores since I was a little kid, so I have no idea how I got it.

Most likely a kiss from a relative (mother, aunt, etc.) who is a asymptomatic carrier.  Most people who have HSV-1 don't even know it, and never get cold sores.

ETA: Now go answer my question in the AK ammo forum, damnit!!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, go to a dermatologist and have them presecribe you VALTREX 500mg tablets. It's used for genital herpes, but is used off label to treat cold sores/Fever blisters. Don't go to an family practice. Use a dematologist.  As soon as you feel one the tingle etc... Take as prescribed and they are gone. I've been using Valtrex for two years now and it works

Some common reasons for outbreaks... Excessive sunlight, cold/illness, stress, and chapped lips
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, go to a dermatologist and have them presecribe you VALTREX 500mg tablets. It's used for genital herpes, but is used off label to treat cold sores/Fever blisters. As soon as you feel one the tingle etc... Take as prescribed and they are gone. I've been using Valtrex for two years now and it works.

Dang. Sounds like you get them frequently. Obviously "cold sores" are indeed HSV, but bringing out the Valtrex is serious business. Abreva works well enough for me for the few times I get them.

No I don't get them frequently, sometimes I can go a year than all of the sudden I will get one. Then a month later another, then go another year without one. Valtrex is commonly used off label for cold sores. There are no side effects and you don't grow immune to the medication.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, go to a dermatologist and have them presecribe you VALTREX 500mg tablets. It's used for genital herpes, but is used off label to treat cold sores/Fever blisters. As soon as you feel one the tingle etc... Take as prescribed and they are gone. I've been using Valtrex for two years now and it works.

Dang. Sounds like you get them frequently. Obviously "cold sores" are indeed HSV, but bringing out the Valtrex is serious business. Abreva works well enough for me for the few times I get them.

Get a tube of that herpecin.  It looks just like chap-stick, and you can even take the label off if you're self conscious about having a big "HERPECIN" label on the side of the tube

Its a really good lip balm as well, and doesn't smell/taste all medicated.

During the dry season, use that stuff once a week, and I bet they never show up at all.  Keep that chapstick handy too!
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had cold sores as long as I can remember.  Picked them up somehow when I was very little.  Probably from drinking after some other kid who had it.

I take Valtrex every day.  It's the same stuff they prescribe for genital herpes.  It's reduced my cold sores from 10 a year to 1 a year, and the rare one I get heals faster.

If you don't get them often enough to justify taking it every day, get a prescription to take as needed.  Then as soon as you see the first signs of a cold sore, you take a dose.  You only take it as long as you have the sore, then you stop again.  It doesn't prevent them, but they heal much faster.

The everyday stuff I take is 500mg, but when I was doing the take-as-needed strategy, they were the 1000mg horsepills.

None of that over-the-counter stuff like Abreva works for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I get  a generic form of Zovirex in tablet form.    It works really well, if you take it at the first sign.    I only get them when I've been really stressed.  College exams were the worst time.

Anymore, the fever blisters are no where near as big as they were when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Lysine does help ALOT!

A few years ago, I go my first cold sore after getting the flu, then I'd get one everytime my body got stressed, from lack of sleep, hangovers etc. I've been taking Lysine vitamins everyday and I hardly ever get a cold sore anymore.

Trust me, it works.

super lysine from quantum labs is a ointment that you can use, along with the pills makes everything that anyone has said here, snake oil(except Valtrex). Try it, all of you, and you will see the difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]
And HOW exactly did you get the Herpes?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#28]
We're not confusing cold sores with canker sores are we?

Cos that would be terrible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And HOW exactly did you get the Herpes?

Well, like several of us have already stated - we don't know, and have had them since childhood. Drinking after another kid that had one, a relative that smooched you, etc.

80% - 90% of the population will have HSV-1 (cold sore) antibodies during their lifetime, but many will remain asymptomatic or only have a single outbreak.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#31]

I get them twice a year, and they are ugly. I'll definitely check out the Valtrex.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Herpies Treatment:

1. Denevir cream
2. Acyclovir pills (other pills of higher strength for people who do not have success with acyclovir).  No not take newer forms of the drug unless you do not have success with high-dose acyclovir.

Both Denevir and Acyclovir are kinase inhibitors.   They block the viral t-RNA from forming RNA-DNA links and prevent reproduction.  

You do not want to use the more complex chemicals unless the basic do not work.  Otherwise, you may favor more vigorous strands into surviving and becoming the dominant viral component.

Herpes is triggered by stress on the nervous system that causes the dendrites to release chemicals that cause the dormant virus to become active and rapidly reproduce.

Over use of Acyclovir can cause liver issues
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top