Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:04:15 PM EST
Hello Arfcom,

Very longtime lurker here. I finally came up with, I think, an appropriate first post.

Can I get a group explanation to the following Coffeemate observations (hopefully invoking atomic-sized conveyor belts and such).

1. Coffeemate doesn't dissolve well when the coffee is less than hot (specific temperature range unknown).

2. Coffeemate doesn't dissolve well immediately after coffee has been heated in a microwave. (Yes I will drink old coffee reheated. )

3. Private label brands of creamer don't dissolve as well as Coffeemate.

(I may actually prefer powdered creamer to Half-and-half. )

Let the abuse begin!!!

P.S. I'm a Classic Liberal (as Hayek describes it.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:09:02 PM EST
I'm going to have to chew on this awhile.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:11:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:
Hello Arfcom,

Very longtime lurker here. I finally came up with, I think, an appropriate first post.

Can I get a group explanation to the following Coffeemate observations (hopefully invoking atomic-sized conveyor belts and such).

1. Coffeemate doesn't dissolve well when the coffee is less than hot (specific temperature range unknown).

2. Coffeemate doesn't dissolve well immediately after coffee has been heated in a microwave. (Yes I will drink old coffee reheated. )

Let the abuse begin!!!

what

the

Fuck?

over.........
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:12:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:15:03 PM EST by Tango7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:14:45 PM EST
Hello Arfcom,

Let the abuse begin!!!

At least you know how to spell.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:16:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:39:42 PM EST by anekrel]
I like the powdered coffeemate, too.

If you stir it really good, even when it's cold, or reheated in the microwave it should dissolve okay.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:17:01 PM EST
drink it black, no problems
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:17:09 PM EST
Hello Arfcom,

Let the abuse begin!!!

I too like Coffeemate better than half/half. Heavy cream though FTMFW!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:18:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By fd4887:
I too like Coffeemate better than half/half. Heavy cream though FTMFW!

I do agree with this also.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:24:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tango7:
Coffeemate is made from oils IIRC. Their mixing and blending qualities depend greatly on variables that don't effect a natural liquid like half and half.

ETA - found this at wired.com:

• Corn syrup solids: Corn syrup is, for the most part, glucose. When it’s dehydrated to about 10 percent water, the resulting granules are basically sugar.

• Vegetable oil solids: Powdered creamer has to get its creamy texture somewhere. Coconut and palm kernel oils are among the heavier food oils and are added – in all their partially hydrogenated glory – for velvety smoothness. Because they add up to less than 0.5 gram of trans fat, the label can claim “zero grams trans fat.”

• Sodium caseinate: Casein is a protein found in cow’s milk, thus making this nondairy product off-limits to vegans. Officially, it’s kosher, but don’t go mixing it with meat. (Note to self: no more ground beef in your coffee.)

• Dipotassium phosphate: Also called phosphoric acid, dipotassium phosphate provides the tang in Coca-Cola. It helps us digest sugars, fats, and proteins, which happen to be nondairy creamer’s top three ingredients. Oh, it’s also a pesticide and a major ingredient in fertilizer.

• Monoglycerides and diglycerides: These single- or double-chain fatty acids end in a glycerol molecule. The glycerol end attaches to water, and the fatty acid end to fats and oils, making these substances gentle mediators between the creamer and the coffee.

• Sodium alumionosilicate: Known to potters as albite feldspar (a ceramic glaze and strengthening agent), sodium alumionosilicate is used in foods as an anticaking agent. Powdered nondairy creamer is flammable, and if it gets too anticaked (dispersed in the air like a cloud), it can explode. Just one spark, and – kaboom!

• Artificial flavors: Since glucose, palm kernel oil, and sodium caseinate don’t really taste like cream, artificial flavors are required. Manufacturers tend to keep exactly what they use a secret. Of course, these flavors can sometimes come in very noncream varieties like hazelnut, amaretto, or mocha.

• Annato: This natural pigment from a tropical plant provides a yellow color, so the creamer looks more, you know, dairy-ish.

BTW you're a heathen. If G-d had meant for us to add powder to our coffee then cows wouldn't give us milk.

well all that sounds yummy - i'll take mine straight out of the pot and into the cup - black
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:26:42 PM EST
Hello Arfcom,

Get both.

Chemistry 101. Rate of solvation should increase with tempurature.

But, note that different substances may require (absorb) heat during solvation, or may produce heat as they go into solution. Example: An artificial sweetener known as Erythritol used in some "minty" candies gets cold –– noticeably cold –– going into solution. Ammonium Nitrate also does so, to the point it is used in "cold packs." For these substances, much hotter liquid helps with dissolution because the more heat energy there in the first place, the more remains after some is absorbed during th dissolution process.

This one's tricky. But, what you are doing with a microwave is super heating the liquid to above boiling. Then, when you add your coffee mate, the crystals become nucleation sites and boil the water right there resulting in air around the crystals instead of liquid which reduces the speed at which the stuff dissolves. Be careful: You can boil it over on your hands dumping in a spoon of creamer.

Different formulations, absence of surfactant ingredients.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:28:24 PM EST
Never, ever FUCK with the Chiefs coffee......

Never.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:28:46 PM EST
well its falammible also...

but the liqued stuff is flavored, my old FD chief use to always have hazzlenut flavored in the fridge, I peshawed it for years till there wasnt any milk in the fridge.its good stuff
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:29:28 PM EST
Maybe you should stick to International Coffees, maybe Hazelnut Belgian Cafe flavor, candles and a nice long soak in the tub.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:29:38 PM EST

"Private label brands" = generic crap

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:31:39 PM EST
Welcome Liberal

I doubt you will last long here but I cant judge you.

I am sure you will say something against the grain of the forum and get banned.

You are going to need some thick skin.

Flame suits can be found up the hall and the second door on the right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:33:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:33:29 PM EST by GonzoAR15-1]
Originally Posted By Beachjumper12:
Never, ever FUCK with the Chiefs coffee......

Never.

I WANT SOME BUTTS!

(ETA: Top Gun Reference, obviously)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:34:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By gotyoursix:
Welcome Liberal

(Wonders if anyone here caught my actual hint?)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:36:24 PM EST
Welcome Liberal

"Classic liberal" = modern conservative
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:37:17 PM EST
Welcome Liberal

(Wonders if anyone here caught my actual hint?)

Jacksonian, much?

;-)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:38:09 PM EST
Welcome Liberal

Umm, Mr. August '09, perhaps you should check into what Hayek had to say about the term "Liberal" before you start chucking stones at the guy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:38:23 PM EST
CoffeeMate Belgian Chocolate Toffee is like crack, just wished they sold it in the big quart containers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:43:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:55:48 PM EST by ScopeScar]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
you should check into what Hayek had to say about the term "Liberal" before you start chucking stones at the guy.

He probably said many thing in many contexts. I was merely recalling some things he said in either "The Road to Serfdom" or "The Constitution of Liberty".

No stones chucked, and at this point not sure exactly the context.

ETA: Thank-you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:48:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:53:35 PM EST by ScopeScar]
Originally Posted By BBossman:
Maybe you should stick to International Coffees, maybe Hazelnut Belgian Cafe flavor, candles and a nice long soak in the tub.

Usually French Vanilla I.C. is the cheapest, and yes I do keep some instant on hand for emergencies.

Candles––rarely. Christmas Eve, power outages and such.

Tub––also rarely. Got rid of my hot tub a few months ago. Too much maintenance effort.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:50:37 PM EST
The first time I used french vanilla creamer I also added my usual amount of sugar.

Don't use sugar with flavored creams
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:53:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:02:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
The first time I used french vanilla creamer I also added my usual amount of sugar.

Don't use sugar with flavored creams

Yeah, have made that mistake before also.

Had some Tully's coffee and some from Krispi Kreme today. The Tully's was better by far.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:05:08 PM EST
OP, I agree.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:06:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By SultanOfBrunei:
Coffemate is Flamable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWdZNCunrC0

I am so going to try this when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:17:36 PM EST

Tub––also rarely. Got rid of my hot tub a few months ago. Too much maintenance effort.

Good idea for a second post.. "Why I got rid of my hot tub". Pics or MSPAINT required though.. Preferably both.

I've been knocking around the idea of one of them, got a perfect spot on the deck for it and everything. If it's a complete whore to keep up though...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:21:38 PM EST
Who needs coffeemate

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:27:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:Good idea for a second post.. "Why I got rid of my hot tub". Pics or MSPAINT required though.. Preferably both.

Might be able to do the pics––there's a big square of non-weatherbeaten wood on my deck.

MSPaint––merely imagine a light brown square with a dark brown square 1/4 the size in one corner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:34:25 PM EST
Coffeemate is the devil. That and it spikes my blood sugar to hell and back.

I use heavy cream in my coffee now. The only way to fly.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:38:36 PM EST

This thread is much better than I expected. Carry on.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:40:43 PM EST
it takes energy to form a solution (dissolve a solid into a liquid). you can either add energy by using hot water, or add energy by stirring a lot. either way works.

Coffeemate probably uses a finer powder with their product than the generic ones.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:46:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:I've been knocking around the idea of [getting a hot tub], got a perfect spot on the deck for it and everything. If it's a complete whore to keep up though...

Here are the basic problems with them:

1. Pumps and motor are close-coupled and are OEM. List replacement costs typically in $300-$500 range. I was able to take mine to a competent local motor dealer who could determine a non-OEM replacement.

2. Motors are two-speed. Difficult to replace from the start. Prone to "dead" spots, and if they stop at the wrong rotation they typcially fail in a mode where they won't automatically restart, but will restart if you turn them manually. Obviously you're not going to do that. When the pump stops, the heating will stop = surprise cold hot tub = angry wife/SO/GF/etc.

3. Control units are cheap OEM circuit boards. List replacement cost also ~$300. Can occasionally figure out replacment boards via Google search for much less $. Contacts for pump and heater are way undersized and will fail.

4. The (briefly) attractive wood screening around the tub is the junkiest of wood. It will rot.

5. The manufacturers skimp on insulation. Typical––1/4" spray-on foam for a tank of water at ~100F.

Not to mention that hot tub sales companies and their salespeople are the best and the brightest––NOT!!

Never call a hot tub repair outfit if your annual salary is less than $150,000 and don't engage in other costly extravagances. If you aren't competent enough to repair one yourself and your salary is less than the preceeding requirement, don't purchase one. Double the parts list prices to have someone who pretends to be a mythical plumber/electrician combination snap in OEM junk.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:49:41 PM EST
Coffeemate sux ass. Half & Half only!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:57:53 PM EST
Mmmmm.

Reminds me of Powdered Taster's Choice coffee, warmed in a canteen cup over a heat tab in the desert. During the winter. Heaven.

now, is my breakfast beverage "better" today?

Frankly, no.

I have some pretty tasty coffee in the AM, with half and half, and a packet of pink stuff (I like it better than sugar).

Nothing in the world gives me that 'comfort' like the chemical taste of coffee mate, and Taster's Choice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:59:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Fury556:
Coffeemate sux ass. Half & Half only!!!
Heavy cream FTW!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:00:37 PM EST
I just drink my coffee neat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:06:50 PM EST
Powdered creamer?

Fucking savages......

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:11:37 PM EST
along the same vein...

Do you put your creamer in the cup before you pour in the coffee, or after

I've found that putting it in before leads to better mix.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:18:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
OP, I agree.

Me too. I use the vanilla caramel powder.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:22:41 PM EST
I prefer half & half, but Coffee mate is the backup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:30:44 PM EST
Black coffee, all day, every day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:52:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By tileguy1:

I realized in college that real men drink black coffee, so I made myself like it. I don't like adding anything now even as a novelty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:35 PM EST
Coffeemate is instantized after the spray drying process. Generic products may not be instantized or may be a cheaper formula. Coffeemate is also homogenized at a very high pressure before the drying process.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:02:35 PM EST
• Dipotassium phosphate: Also called phosphoric acid, dipotassium phosphate provides the tang in Coca-Cola. It helps us digest sugars, fats, and proteins, which happen to be nondairy creamer’s top three ingredients. Oh, it’s also a pesticide and a major ingredient in fertilizer.

Ever use rust remover that turns the rust black? (Ospho, naval Jelly etc)

Guess what?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:52 PM EST
If you take a large commercial vegetable can, pop a hole in the side for a fuse, then place a thin layer of black powder just covering the bottom of the inside followed by a layer of tissue paper followed by a layer of Original full fat Coffeemate creamer, the resulting ignition produces a large Hollywood style fireball.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By tileguy1:

You just can't fuck up black coffee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
Hello Arfcom,

Get both.

Chemistry 101. Rate of solvation should increase with tempurature.

But, note that different substances may require (absorb) heat during solvation, or may produce heat as they go into solution. Example: An artificial sweetener known as Erythritol used in some "minty" candies gets cold –– noticeably cold –– going into solution. Ammonium Nitrate also does so, to the point it is used in "cold packs." For these substances, much hotter liquid helps with dissolution because the more heat energy there in the first place, the more remains after some is absorbed during th dissolution process.

This one's tricky. But, what you are doing with a microwave is super heating the liquid to above boiling. Then, when you add your coffee mate, the crystals become nucleation sites and boil the water right there resulting in air around the crystals instead of liquid which reduces the speed at which the stuff dissolves. Be careful: You can boil it over on your hands dumping in a spoon of creamer.

Different formulations, absence of surfactant ingredients.

I think KeithJ's long hidden troll account has been outed

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top