Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 12:27:23 PM EDT
Just want to share a potential close call I had the other day and remind everyone to ALWAYS wear full PPE.

On Wed. 9/21 at about noon we got dispatched to for a "check smoke in area." Came in as Code 2 but as we turn the corner we could see a huge column of smoke. My Capt. then upgraded to Code 3 and we got more info from alarm that it was a vehicle fire. From the amount and color of smoke it looked like maybe there was some exposures.

We arrived on scene of a '96 Dodge Ram duelly fully involved. My Capt. gave the order to pull the preconnect. I pulled the preconnect and started hitting the fire from the drivers side. I contained the cab and my partner popped the hood. We hit the engine compartment and then moved to the bed. We moved back to the cab to cool it off some more. While doing so we had some obvious water splash back from our stream, however, we didn't realize untill after the fire was out and I put the nozzle down that I was covered in a "goo-like" substance.

Turns out the owner had 20 gallons of concrete lacquer sealer in the back seat and when hit by the stream it splashed back on me and the nozzle. Fortunately everyone was in full PPE so no one was injured however it did cause appoximately $4000-$5000 worth of damage. The jury is still out as to what is salvagable (definitely need a new mask, voice amp, heads up display, turnouts, and at the least SCBA shoulder straps , PASS alarm, and low pressure reg.)

If I was missing a piece of PPE there is no doubt that I would've suffered severe burns to that area. I just want to remind everyone how important every article of your PPE is and to never take "routine" calls for granted as no two calls are the exact same.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Good call and glad to see you are safe.

Stay away from those bumpers too during a vehicle fire. Pop goes the weasel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay you smoke eaters are nuts.  

I'd rather deal with a cracked out mental than fire any day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No way man, PD calls us all the time to check out the people who suddenly get arrestisitis. I would rather battle the beast then deal with the druggies anyday (except for these two sisters we went on who split an 8 ball one day, they were hot with big ol boobies except they were extremely underage. Me and my crew were ready to go to jail that day for being perves)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top