Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 9:59:49 AM EDT
My dad has a couple of class 3 items.  We were talking the other night, and we were wondering what physically has to happen to the class 3 items, between the time he passes away and I get paperwork to transfer the items to me?  While my sister will be the executor, she would not be able to hold them.  Do the locals confiscate them.  Or will the feds suddenly show up the day after he's gone?

I would think this happens.  Anyone with any knowledge of how this all takes place?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend you contact the NFA Branch directly on this but I'll take a crack at it.

Your sister, as executor, would gain temporary possession until a tax-free transfer is approved to you (make sure he has a will which names you as the beneficiary to receive the weapons).  If she can't possess the weapons for some reason (felony conviction, etc.) I'm not sure if she would have to name an agent to hold them or if she (acting as executor) would have some sort of special exemption until such time as an approved transfer to the lawful heir (you) could be executed and approved.  To be quite honest, I don't think there is any background check or investigation into the executor since their possession is only temporary.  Thus, it is possible that even if your sister is prohibited from possessing a firearm for some reason, BATF wouldn't know because there's no check on that end (as far as I know).
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be better and easier if your dad just transferred them to me now.  ;)

But seriously, the executor is allowed to hold them while transfering them tax free to the proper heir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top