Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The existing infrastructure can't support the increased load of the higher density, maybe?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The vibe I’m getting from some people in this thread is that they want to create more San Frans, NYCs, Portlands, Seattles, etc utopias by eliminating zoning regs to cram as many people as possible into given spaces. Fuck traditional neighborhoods, tear them all down, along with the rest of our culture. Enjoy your Peachtrees.
View Quote

lol, you think San Francisco is the way it is because it doesn't have strict enough zoning?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cities need huge subsidies.

He was a fan of cities.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read his posts and the takeaway I got was pay for your own damn lifestyle instead of demanding a subsidy for it.

He was a fan of cities.

Most of the countries GDP is generated in cities.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pretty sure you are the one advocating for big city zoning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don’t give a fuck whether it’s mom and pop or Mr. Wellington the third apartment tycoon

Allow the market to adjust and meet supply. Allow companies and people to most profitably serve each other.
View Quote

It's this kind of short sighted simpleton thinking that tells me you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.  So you are ok with Mr. Willington Apartment tycoon buying up everything turning all homes into rentals and thus now no one is a homeowner anymore.  
You're critical thinking skills are very limited and you should stop parroting what you heard on a Youtube Video.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
When you eliminate single family zoning and embrace 'Affordable housing' you are cutting your own throat. 'Affordable Housing' equates to 'Section 8' housing and all the benefits that come with it. People spend lots of money to live in nice neighborhoods, with good schools and good homes. They don't spend that kind of money to have subsidized housing units and their subsidized tenants living in their backyard and fouling up their schools.

Watch what happens to Prairie Village, KS and the adjacent Old Leawood housing market and schools if the Prairie Village city council allows their AD-HOC Group of Community Organizers to push through their 'Affordable Housing Agenda'.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are literally the one advocating for using big govt.

I’m for business owners making a single mega mansion or a 10 story apartment building with no parking lot.

As long as it’s safe whose time say what the fuck they can do.

View Quote

Why do you get to demand it be safe? Mind your own business.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So then you'd be okay we me setting up a methadone clinic on one side of your property, and a landfill on the other? I mean, if I own the properties on both sides of your house, I should be able to do whatever I want, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to destroy the govt forcing single family zoning and preventing property owners from controlling their own land. This is the issue and has been from the beginning.

Discuss.

So then you'd be okay we me setting up a methadone clinic on one side of your property, and a landfill on the other? I mean, if I own the properties on both sides of your house, I should be able to do whatever I want, right?

It’s not residential but sure.

Better than what we have.

We are more talking about housing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Half the dudes in this thread WANT central planning.

We need to get the big govt out of city zoning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, this is pretty much it.  I'd be selling and moving if they started tearing down houses in my neighborhood to put up multi-family rentals.  Like so fast it'd make your head spin.

Multi-family units should be arranged in and around city, town, or village centers.  Not randomly shoehorned in to single family home neighborhoods like has been happening in some places.  There's probably some older single family home neighborhoods closer to Austin's core that ought to be re-zoned and re-developed over time but it should be intentional and deliberate and not the result of some blanket zoning re-definition that ends up shitting on perfectly functional single family home neighborhoods further from the city center.

I know that's not the free for all that some people want but it's one area where think local governments can be useful to guide rational development.

I used to live near Ann Arbor and there were lots of old single family neighborhoods outside of downtown where on any given street it'd be like:

- Beautiful old home
- Beautiful old home
- Random shitty 8 unit apartment building
- Beautiful old home
- Beautiful old home

That shit sucks.  Even if it wasn't a liberal clown town, I still wouldn't live on a street like that.

View Quote

Check out the urban transect model of zoning. Duany is an interesting dude, his politics are hard to categorize.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transect_(urban)
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many of those same individual are probably John Brown Gun Club members as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
surprised to see so much support here for government overriding private property rights.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Said the same thing in the last thread on this, I don't want a trailer next to all of our nice homes in this neighborhood.  Sorry, not sorry.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It could have been, if teaching jobs, the entertainment, journalism, and banking industries hadn't been ceded to the left decades ago.

Since they controlled education and pop culture the left gained control of every institution, and we're reaping the consequences of that.
View Quote

Okay, so if we don't support the use of government force in controlling our lives, we're retarded, still?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/2022/12/13/alachua-county-withdraws-support-for-east-gainesville-project/69725213007/

The funniest part about Gainesville is even the Ghetto has enough of the Ghetto.

I can’t wait till Haile Plantation and all the subdivisions that cater to the UF employees have to deal with this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m against zoning laws and government city planning

People should be free to do what they want on their land
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 Didn't that account end up being two people posting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat_Jack

Screamed elitist after he went Army and his views changed.

I think he once admitted that at one point both him and his brother were using it. Don’t know about anyone else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup and it’s that way with every sort of infrastructure. People should pay for infrastructure based on their actual usage. That means that infrastructure taxes for suburban properties would be ten times what people in the urban core cost, roughly, and that would keep the poors out of the suburbs without the government needing to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no, single family is tremendously expensive to support relative to denser neighborhoods. The older parts of a city often pay the most taxes per acre, which is relevant because expenditures grow as distances increase.

As someone that has worked on Municiple wastewater collections yes, the long laterals and pump stations are a bitch. People always bitch when water rates increase but at the same time have no clue what it takes to operate a water/wastewater system.

Yup and it’s that way with every sort of infrastructure. People should pay for infrastructure based on their actual usage. That means that infrastructure taxes for suburban properties would be ten times what people in the urban core cost, roughly, and that would keep the poors out of the suburbs without the government needing to do it.

Exactly.

The govt subsidized single family housing immensely.

It also subsidizes car usage to an absurd amount.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
surprised to see so much support here for government overriding private property rights.

View Quote

They think they are going to zone out the undesirables. They haven’t figured out yet that we are the undesirables. Wait until their town gets a zoning update that requires deed restrictions allowing only electric cars be parked on site.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't we do this last week?
View Quote
Probably, but with legalized, weed, gummies and other edibles, half of GD doesn't remember that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, so if we don't support the use of government force in controlling our lives, we're retarded, still?
View Quote

It's retarded to not use the power when you have it.

Most suburban areas are still fairly conservative or whatever you want to call it. If they want to vote in city council members that limit residential housing to single family homes, that is smart on their part.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It really would be better if something approaching the free market decided the appropriate level of housing density in a given area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eliminating single-family housing is the dream of every leftist/communist.

It really would be better if something approaching the free market decided the appropriate level of housing density in a given area.

The free market is great at lots of things, but urban planning it is not.  There's an unavoidable intersection between private development interests and government provided infrastructure that has to be negotiated in order for things to come together in an orderly fashion.

There's a few pretty famous examples of radically free market urban planning out there and the results just aren't that impressive.  Kowloon Walled City and The Favelas are pretty good examples.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
That is true.

My uncle has a house in those parts and his was GRANDFATHERED IN for mixed use zoning until that fucken czar changed it.

house is rather old but it was used for business before and is now a single family house but he wants to tear it down for a townhouse setup and it has the space for it.

Zoning commission and its fucken czar dumped grandfather clauses.

Uncle is selling and moving to Arizona....he is tired of the politics and bullshit of leftist hyperbole.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Apartments tend to start out nice and have good residents.  Then the complex is sold to another management company and it starts slipping on maintenance because they want to maximize their profit.  This in turn drives out the good residents and attracts the bad ones because over time, with the lax maintenance and lack of good residents coming, the price is lowered compared to market and the downward slide continues.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn. Multi family housing can be fine or can be an absolute train wreck and ruin neighborhood. The city where I grew up is like that. Neighborhoods that were once quiet and safe are now shit holes due to apartment complexes and HUD houses/duplexes.

Apartments tend to start out nice and have good residents.  Then the complex is sold to another management company and it starts slipping on maintenance because they want to maximize their profit.  This in turn drives out the good residents and attracts the bad ones because over time, with the lax maintenance and lack of good residents coming, the price is lowered compared to market and the downward slide continues.  

Every business owner wants to maximize profits.  That’s the point of owning a business.  Ask yourself why failure to maintain assets would help maximize profits.  Could it be that government policy restricting the supply of rental housing means landlords don’t have to compete for tenants?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]
THIS is the actual outcome of what the OP is ranting over.  

It starts out well intentioned but it evolves and then decays.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combat_Jack

Screamed elitist after he went Army and his views changed.

I vaguely remember that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When you eliminate single family zoning and embrace 'Affordable housing' you are cutting your own throat. 'Affordable Housing' equates to 'Section 8' housing and all the benefits that come with it. People spend lots of money to live in nice neighborhoods, with good schools and good homes. They don't spend that kind of money to have subsidized housing units and their subsidized tenants living in their backyard and fouling up their schools.

Watch what happens to Prairie Village, KS and the adjacent Old Leawood housing market and schools if the Prairie Village city council allows their AD-HOC Group of Community Organizers to push through their 'Affordable Housing Agenda'.
View Quote

Dude, the term "Affordable Housing" is bullshit Marxist propaganda term. Stop using it. The leftists like to cry that housing is "unaffordable" to justify things like rent control, and probably eventually seizing landowners property to dole out.

In a market where people are allowed to set their own prices, and make their own buying decisions, housing will always be affordable to somebody, just not to the broke losers from whom the leftists wish to buy votes. If houses were truly "unaffordable", people wouldn't buy them, and sellers would have to decrease the price. It's not that complicated.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most suburban areas are still fairly conservative or whatever you want to call it. If they want to vote in city council members that limit residential housing to single family homes, that is smart on their part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then the Californians come in, outbid you, turn your city into a leftist shithole and you can’t afford to buy somewhere nice that’s close enough to commute to work or see your kids on the weekend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read his posts and the takeaway I got was pay for your own damn lifestyle instead of demanding a subsidy for it.

He was a fan of cities.

And yet they need state and federal money to balance budgets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm against zoning laws and government city planning

People should be free to do what they want on their land
View Quote

I'm not against all zoning laws, but I am against using them as a crutch because we won't appropriately deal with the antisocial element of society. It's embarrassing. It's construction cuckoldry. A world power can't maintain power if it can't even maintain it's cities. We're a failure of a country.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#31]
OP sounds like a communist troll trying to use capitalism free market as a cover.

They both want to jam people into small homes, and both for the wrong reasons.

My town which has experienced massive growth over the last two decades fought with developers over this. Developers want to maximize the number of houses, or town homes, per acre, but that is a shitty way to live packed in like sardines.

So the final agreement that became law, 33.3% multi family, 66.6% single family. Where they go is up to city council and planning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s not residential but sure.

Better than what we have.

We are more talking about housing.
View Quote

Yeah, you're full of it. Everybody cries about NIMBYism until it's their turn to have their property values decimated by the decisions of others.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
THIS is the actual outcome of what the OP is ranting over.  

It starts out well intentioned but it evolves and then decays.

https://wallup.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/648312-favela-brazil-rio-de-janeiro-slum-house-architecture-city-cities-detail-building-scenic-rocinha.jpg
View Quote

Yeah and then they're shocked some of us don't want to live like that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

lol, you think San Francisco is the way it is because it doesn't have strict enough zoning?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vibe I’m getting from some people in this thread is that they want to create more San Frans, NYCs, Portlands, Seattles, etc utopias by eliminating zoning regs to cram as many people as possible into given spaces. Fuck traditional neighborhoods, tear them all down, along with the rest of our culture. Enjoy your Peachtrees.

I think the main reason it is the way it is because so many people have been crammed in there. But I guess cramming more people in there will fix everything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The free market is great at lots of things, but urban planning it is not.  There's an unavoidable intersection between private development interests and government provided infrastructure that has to be negotiated in order for things to come together in an orderly fashion.

There's a few pretty famous examples of radically free market urban planning out there and the results just aren't that impressive.  Kowloon Walled City and The Favelas are pretty good examples.

View Quote

Urban planning is at its best when it’s executed based on market principals and an understanding that the goal is to utilize public resources effectively and generate wealth for the community. You can tell how fucked your town is on that front by how wide the lanes are in the streets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Big government? Zoning is at the local level.

Big government (aka, the left) doesn't like local control. Look at what's happening in CA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hello Mr. Zoning Czar

Urban layouts is the best layout, right Comrade?
View Quote

It's clear you're the czar.  You're the one presuming that you know a particular zoning is the optimal. Let owners work to maximize their value and pay for what government utilities they consume equitably.

What the zoning laws are doing is creating a discontinuity from single family, jumping to large complex. The intermediate size, which tend to be watched carefully by an owner with skin in the game, are less common; squeezed out.

Where are the new single family developments to go? We're basically built out to government forest land or salt water.  Warehouses now occupy nearly all of what was formerly some of the world's most fertile land. Average incomes can't afford the average house.

Government caused much of the problem by killing healthy multi-use neighborhoods via zoning and freeway building. All terrific until you've sprawled to practical limits.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no, single family is tremendously expensive to support relative to denser neighborhoods. The older parts of a city often pay the most taxes per acre, which is relevant because expenditures grow as distances increase.

As someone that has worked on Municiple wastewater collections yes, the long laterals and pump stations are a bitch. People always bitch when water rates increase but at the same time have no clue what it takes to operate a water/wastewater system.

Exactly.

And not mass transit?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude, the term "Affordable Housing" is bullshit Marxist propaganda term. Stop using it. The leftists like to cry that housing is "unaffordable" to justify things like rent control, and probably eventually seizing landowners property to dole out.

In a market where people are allowed to set their own prices, and make their own buying decisions, housing will always be affordable to somebody, just not to the broke losers from whom the leftists wish to buy votes. If houses were truly "unaffordable", people wouldn't buy them, and sellers would have to decrease the price. It's not that complicated.

View Quote

What happens when the central planners only plan half as many houses as people need?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So we shouldn't restrict the power of government, because we haven't lost control of everything, yet. We should continue to empower the government until they force us to let homeless people sleep on our couches. THEN, we should see about maybe tamping down on the power of government.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah and then they're shocked some of us don't want to live like that.
View Quote

Well, if you wind up coming to Texas, please limit yourself to Austin.   You wouldn't like it elsewhere in Texas.   Stick to the California enclave.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#42]
The communists in California agree with the OP.  The bourgeoisie should not be allowed to live in nice communities when others have to suffer the consequences of high density housing found in large cities.

So they passed SB9 and B10.

The OP and others who want to do away with Single-Family Zoning should move to California and live happily ever after.  The Soviet Union had it right.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then the Californians come in, outbid you, turn your city into a leftist shithole and you can’t afford to buy somewhere nice that’s close enough to commute to work or see your kids on the weekend.
View Quote

Now we come to the part where I talk about how I don't think people should be allowed to vote for 3 generations after moving to a new area. Immigrants shouldn't get the same rights as a native population and have the ability to change things too rapidly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And not mass transit?
View Quote

Before government went all in on auto subsidies mass transit was a successful for profit business in most cities.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What happens when the central planners only plan half as many houses as people need?
View Quote

I'm not sure what your point is... I never advocated for any central planning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So we shouldn't restrict the power of government, because we haven't lost control of everything, yet. We should continue to empower the government until they force us to let homeless people sleep on our couches. THEN, we should see about maybe tamping down on the power of government.
View Quote

Local governments should do as they're told by local (native) populations. This isn't difficult.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now we come to the part where I talk about how I don't think people should be allowed to vote for 3 generations after moving to a new area. Immigrants shouldn't get the same rights as a native population and have the ability to change things too rapidly.
View Quote

Your whole program is based on government power.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are literally designing areas in order to segregate them from you.

This is damn near the worst shit a society could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't want multi-family rentals in my suburban neighborhood. Thats how neighborhoods go from nice, to ghetto adjacent, to ghetto. It's like the opposite of gentrification. NIMBY away.
Pretty much this. I'm 100% behind zoning out multi residence buildings (And zoning our single family rentals which ultimately fall into section 8). However, there does need to be zoned areas to provide this housing. Just not intermixed with single family zoning.

You are literally designing areas in order to segregate them from you.

This is damn near the worst shit a society could do.

Or alternatively designing neighborhoods to best suit the needs of the residents.

When I was renting an apartment, there was no benefit to me to be plopped in the middle of a single family neighborhood (which I actually was).  I would have been happier closer to downtown where I could walk to things but that's wasn't what I could afford at the time.

The real question is how cities can support the growth of denser and lower cost housing in areas where the infrastructure is designed to support that density NOT how we can take the short cut of shoe horning in multi-unit apartments into quiet residential neighborhoods.

Diversity is not our strength contrary to popular belief.  Neighborhoods work better when they are comprised of like minded people at similar stages in life with similar lifestyle objectives.  

It makes no sense to shoe horn in a bunch of renters into a quiet single family home neighborhood anymore so than it makes sense to shoe horn a block of single family homes into the financial district of Manhattan.

When I was young, I wanted to be near downtown where all the action was.  When I was older and had kids, I wanted to GTFO and have a yard and not share walls with other people.

It's nice when cities and towns can be designed so that BOTH lifestyle preferences can be accommodated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's clear you're the czar.  You're the one presuming that you know a particular zoning is the optimal. Let owners work to maximize their value and pay for what government utilities they consume equitably.

What the zoning laws are doing is creating a discontinuity from single family, jumping to large complex. The intermediate size, which tend to be watched carefully by an owner with skin in the game, are less common; squeezed out.

Where are the new single family developments to go? We're basically built out to government forest land or salt water.  Warehouses now occupy nearly all of what was formerly some of the world's most fertile land. Average incomes can't afford the average house.

Government caused much of the problem by killing healthy multi-use neighborhoods via zoning and freeway building. All terrific until you've sprawled to practical limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello Mr. Zoning Czar

Urban layouts is the best layout, right Comrade?

And those local governments (the one that sets the zoning laws) don't want a sprawling area of multi family dwellings, condos, apartments because they bring in higher cost of services.

They did a study for the affordable housing complex a few years back. The cost for police services alone based upon the amount of calls was 3 or 4 times higher than the average home owner paid in the township.

And that was per condo/apartment, not the overall complex.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those of us living in unincorporated areas to get away from city problems don’t want apartment complexes around us either, and building apartments out here is logistically impractical for the residents.

The real problem here isn’t zoning.  It’s that we have an increasingly large segment of the population that makes life miserable for decent people living near them.  The roots of this problem are cultural, and the “fiscally conservative, socially liberal” types who post so much here were more than happy to help destroy the foundations of our culture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

I don’t want small apartments and duplexes (and the tenants they generally bring in) popping up in my town or neighborhood.  Great way to fuck surrounding property values and school districts.

You wanna live cheap?
Buy a trailer home.
Away from me.

Wanna profit on cheap housing?
Build an apartment or trailer park.
Out on unincorporated land.

Those of us living in unincorporated areas to get away from city problems don’t want apartment complexes around us either, and building apartments out here is logistically impractical for the residents.

The real problem here isn’t zoning.  It’s that we have an increasingly large segment of the population that makes life miserable for decent people living near them.  The roots of this problem are cultural, and the “fiscally conservative, socially liberal” types who post so much here were more than happy to help destroy the foundations of our culture.

The single family zoning caused the city problems.

Page / 13
Top Top