User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:11:35 AM EDT
...according to Anglican bishops.

Anglican Bishops Want Christians to Apologize to Muslims for Iraq
By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com International Editor
September 21, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Church of England bishops are calling for Christian leaders to apologize publicly, at a gathering attended by senior Muslims, for the war in Iraq.

Acknowledging that the British government is unlikely to apologize for the "gravely mistaken" war, the bishops suggest that churches should do so by making a "public act of institutional repentance."

They are not calling for a troop withdrawal now, however, saying the troops should remain until there is a secure Iraqi regime in place.

In a 101-page document released Monday, a working group of four bishops examines ways in which the church -- England's officially established church and the "mother" body of the world's Anglicans -- can play a part in combating the threat of terrorism.

"We believe that the churches have an important role to play, not simply in urging the importance and applicability of Christian principles, but in a proper awareness of the role of religion, for good as well as ill, and initiatives it might take towards reconciliation between adversaries."

While criticizing Western democracy as "deeply flawed," the bishops appeal for greater "understanding" of what motivates terrorists, and say efforts must be made to address their "long-standing grievances."

The war on Iraq, they say, appeared to have been executed "as much for reasons of American national interest as it was for the well-being of the Iraqi people."

And looking beyond Iraq, the bishops also argue for a more flexible approach by the U.S. and European Union over Iran's nuclear program.

In a preface, one of the four authors, Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries, writes that for many people in the world today, "It is not terrorism, but American foreign policy and what they perceive as American expansionism which constitutes the major threat to peace."

Like all major powers in history, he says, America seeks to expand economic, political and military influence.

"What distinguishes it from many other empires in history is its strong sense of moral righteousness. In this there is both sincere conviction and dangerous illusion," Harries says.

"This sense of moral righteousness is fed by the major influence of the 'Christian Right' on present United States policy.".....

The only thing I'm sorry for is that it didn't happen sooner.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
What B.S. They have obviously not read the Koran. In the Koran it basiclly says non believers should convert or die. If the U.S. is trying to stretch its influence for good in Iraq then what was Islam doing on 9/11? YEA, CONVERT OR DIE! Not all Islam subscribes to that , there are also verses contrary to convert or die. It's take your pick. Al Qieda on one side moderates on the other. But most Muslims don't give a shit about christians dieing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not terribly interested in what the Anglican Bishops have to say.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
hmmmmm. Any word on when they'll be exploring what motivates Catholics? Maybe begging pardon for all the Catholics the Anglican church killed from the time of King Henry VIII to Elizabeth and Oliver Cromwell?

Or maybe they could beg forgiveness for passing that law that an Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist or other non-Christian could be King....but not a Catholic.

Seriously though, what do such acts stand to accomplish? The war isn't a crusade and it wasn't called one BY US. So why are the churches taking pains to exonerate themselves of complicity? THEY didn't call for the war in the first place so how are they responsible?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

Also, I don't believe that the Anglican Bishops are actually true Christians.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hmmmmm. Any word on when they'll be exploring what motivates Catholics? Maybe begging pardon for all the Catholics the Anglican church killed from the time of King Henry VIII to Elizabeth and Oliver Cromwell?

Or maybe they could beg forgiveness for passing that law that an Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist or other non-Christian could be King....but not a Catholic.

Seriously though, what do such acts stand to accomplish? The war isn't a crusade and it wasn't called one BY US. So why are the churches taking pains to exonerate themselves of complicity? THEY didn't call for the war in the first place so how are they responsible?

Regarding "The war isn't a crusade and it wasn't called one BY US."  

Very unfortunately, during one of Bush's early speaches of the war, he did refer to it as a "crusade" (against terrorism).  I shudder when I attempt to understand why he or his speach writer used that term.  

Many Muslims, and particularly the Islamisists who have hi-jacked the Islamic religion have a knee-jerk reaction to that term, for in many ways, the Crusades of ~900 years ago are as fresh in their memory as if it happened yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Doesnt the Anglican church allow gays ans other assorted folks to be pasotrs?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not sure about the English bishopric, but the American Anglicans did adopt measures to allow homosexuals to be ordained.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not sure about the English bishopric, but the American Anglicans did adopt measures to allow homosexuals to be ordained.

Which certainly should make a bunch of members at this site very happy. Almost as happy as teaching homosexuality to kindergarteners.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah England has openly gay pastors and tried to promote them to bishop.

www.religioustolerance.org/hom_angl2.htm

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top