Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2013 5:24:36 PM EDT
Not a gotcha question.

I myself only pray to God. But, in Christ's name. I know some people do pray to Jesus, though. Is there a scriptural basis for this, or does it just feel right at the time?

What about the Holy Spirit?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, I've thought about this myself too.

When Jesus taught his disciples to pray, he started out...  "Our Father, which art in heaven"   and several times when he himself prayed, he addressed God in his prayers, he did not pray to himself (although he is God also - as in part of the Trinity) - so praying to God, our Father, is probably a good way to pray, and then close "In Jesus name"  as we recognize that Jesus is our Intercessor before the Father.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When Jesus taught his disciples to pray, he started out...  "Our Father, which art in heaven"   and several times when he himself prayed, he addressed God in his prayers, he did not pray to himself (although he is God also - as in part of the Trinity) - so praying to God, our Father, is probably a good way to pray, and then close "In Jesus name"  as we recognize that Jesus is our Intercessor before the Father.

View Quote

This. Especially the last sentence.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I pray to God, In Jesus' name. Always have, since I was old enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the holy spirit?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Both
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Hmmm...I pray for the holy spirit to help me to combat certain sins and help me talk to others about Christ.  Is that not proper?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#9]
All these questions are covered in the Gospel of John.

I would post them right now but I have to get ready for work.

I pray to God in Jesus name.  And I thank God for the Holy Ghost who testifies of  Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've flip flopped on this. Stephen undoubtedly was praying to Christ.(Acts 7:59).

I still don't pray to Christ, but I'm not as troubled by other people doing it as I used to be.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
This gets into the dogmatics of the Trinity.  If God is three-in-one, and one-in-three, praying to the Spirit or Jesus is essentially praying to the Father also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This gets into the dogmatics of the Trinity.  If God is three-in-one, and one-in-three, praying to the Spirit or Jesus is essentially praying to the Father also.
View Quote

My understanding, as a layperson, is that each member of the Trinity has a different role.  We are to pray to God the Father through Christ our mediator while the Holy Spirit is most closely associated with acts of creation such as our spiritual rebirth.

For the most part I tend to stick with what Chuck Swindoll said.  He said roughly "If you try to understand the Trinity you'll end up under the bed reciting the Greek alphabet backwards."  God is far more complex than we humans can understand.  Even His creation is far more complex than we can understand ("We are fearfully and wonderfully made").  If we COULD understand God He wouldn't be much of a God, IMO.

Having said all that, I pray to the Father through the Son, sometimes about the Spirit and His work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmmm...I pray for the holy spirit to help me to combat certain sins and help me talk to others about Christ.  Is that not proper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Seems pretty solid to me
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree and always begin my prayer with God my heavenly father.  I may ask things in Jesus name or that God guides me by His Holy spirit during my prayers and I always close by naming His son and my savior Jesus Christ.

I also close every day with the "Our father who art in Heaven" prayer because it is the instruction of Jesus to his disciples.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]

My primary focus is on Jesus.

"We must get our values straight, and the central value of the Christian faith is Christ. If a reply is made that 'God' is our central value point and starting point, the answer must be that apart from Christ we know little about God. If we try to start from God, we do not start from God, but from our ideas about God. But our ideas about God are not God. We must start with God's idea about Himself, and God's idea about Himself is Christ."

~ E. Stanley Jones

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not a gotcha question.

I myself only pray to God. But, in Christ's name. I know some people do pray to Jesus, though. Is there a scriptural basis for this, or does it just feel right at the time?

What about the Holy Spirit?
View Quote

Depends.  I usually just think about God, but I also do the Father/Son/Holy spirit thing sometimes too
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I am certain God knows where my heart is and he doesnt get particualrly bogged down in the symantics. I mix it up but it seems to work out well for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am certain God knows where my heart is and he doesnt get particualrly bogged down in the symantics. I mix it up but it seems to work out well for me.
View Quote

totally agree when i was young i used to pray to Jesus  and it worked out  -  now that im older and know just a little more,  I pray to the Father God in the name of God the Son Jesus with guidance from the Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   I am sure that God is more concerned about the condition of the spirit into which you enter prayer over the words given.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you are praying to Jesus, you are praying to God the Son.

Personally, most of my prayers are primarily addressed to the Father.  I also pray to Jesus, a led.  When opening a study (personal or group) I'll pray for the Holy Spirit to provide understanding.

All are proper.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top