Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 12:24:10 PM EDT
A coworker has a little girl with his ex who he rarely gets to see because his ex is a real vengeful PITA. She just moved to another state, taking their child in common with her. There has never been any payments ordered by the court in either state as he pays the appropriate amount voluntarily.  

Here's the question - which state's rules is he obligated to pay support by, his residency state where all parties formerly lived or the ex's new state of residence?

TIA. He's at work here with me awaiting responses.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Were they ever legally married? If so were they legally divorced or separated? I believe the rules for child support are calculated based on the fathers income. He really needs to retain an attorney to help him with this. I am, or was, also a victim of a shithead spouse. Charles.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are divorced and all of it is done through the court, and she moved out of state without his permission, then he should have custody soon.  Thats BAD juju man.  She'll have to be a resident of that state for a period of time (30 days to one year) before they have any jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
They were never married, and she has custody and he visitation. States have different formulas for determining support payments, which does he go by?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
what states are involved?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Again.  depending on the state she moved to (which he could start a lot of shit over) it depends on how long she's there before they will assume jurisdiction.  Moving without a good reason is bad juju.  If the child could have stayed with the father and remained in the same school, day care, and other activities without having to change, he could have been awarded custody had he fought for it.  That's an easy fight to win.  Moving is very hard on kids.  Courts are usually against it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what states are involved?

His residence is NY State, she moved to Connecticut.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple solution, tell your buddy to quit his job, then he doesn't have to worry about child support.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Simple solution, tell your buddy to quit his job, then he doesn't have to worry about child support.

You live in a state that mandates 25 dollars a week minimum, even if your in jail, or disabled and you think that?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
He should immediately set up a child support action with the state that will protect him the most.  Best thing for him to do is hire an attorney.  He has rights to visitation regardless of whether he pays child support or not.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You live in a state that mandates 25 dollars a week minimum, even if your in jail, or disabled and you think that?

If you stay in jail long enough most of the parties involved will forget about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
In my case, it was the county and state that the divorce/ court order took place in (Ohio). She moved to other states frequently. I moved to KY for a while.

My attorney told me the case could be moved to the state she moved to, not mine. He also told me I could delay her moves, not stop them as she could always claim economic necessity and the courts would allow it.

So, it'll stay in the original court or follow her around. The court doesn't care about you, so don't get excited about geting custody. The court doesn't care about you getting visitation or building a relationship with your kids, either.

The courts only care that the child support is being paid so they can brag about their compliance rate and the amount they collect every year. Father's rights are not considered.

Also, in my case, money not sent through the courts is considered a gift, not child support. It varies by state but voluntary payments without an order might not count for anything if she decided to get an official court order.

Of course, that was just my experience, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you stay in jail long enough most of the parties involved will forget about it.

WTF are you smoking man?  My ex mother n law went after back child support on 3 kids after her ex spent 12 years in prison.  She fucking OWNS him.  Arkansas is tough as hell on child support.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My son and ex girl friend live in Tenn., I moved to Ky for work. I started paying in Tenn, I now pay it through Ky court.

He will probably be paying in his own state,  They like to keep you close to your home jail if you dont pay. It cost to much to send you to her state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top