Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 10:36:05 AM EDT
Is there some shit I can spray on my legs to keep them off? I'm all ate up and their bites take forever to heal on me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Chigger rid is the product you want after you get them. Do not screw up the spelling .

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
AWWWWWWW............ you said the "CH" word.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
When in the woods, wear long pants treated with Permethrin.  I buy it at the farm and home store in the horse section and mix it up in a squirt bottle.  Spray the pants before hand and let them dry.  Works wonders.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
That's racist!  Oh.  Wait.  Chiggers.  My bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
My dad swore by skin so soft. But the smell was terrible, Ive tried all the store bought sprays and nothing works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
HEY! They prefer to be called Chigroes...
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
when they make it to your sack, scratch until red & then use Absorbine Jr.
Chiggers = Red Bugs
I don't know if the Military Jungle 50% Deet works to repel them or not
but they go for the sack = nice & soft & damp, compared to the leg, but I guess know that part.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that like the Chinese version of "wigger"?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Treat your clothing with Permethrin. Shirt, trousers, socks, underclothes, etc. It will remain effective for weeks, including after repeated washing. Spray on your clothes, and gear, let it dry, then it's safe to wear. Don't put it directly on your skin. Works for ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites, and other biting insects.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Treat your clothing with Permethrin. Shirt, trousers, socks, underclothes, etc. It will remain effective for weeks, including after repeated washing. Spray on your clothes, and gear, let it dry, then it's safe to wear. Don't put it directly on your skin. Works for ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites, and other biting insects.
View Quote

Awesome. Where do I go to buy it?

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]
If the problem is in your yard, cut the grass SHORT.  Like an inch or two so everything dries out.  They'll be gone a couple days later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Eat some match heads bro.

And I'm very serious.  Eat 4-5 the day before and a couple times per week if you're going to be in them.

Then go play with some spanish moss and you will see that it works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sporting goods stores that focus on camping/hunting/fishing/hiking. It comes under several name brands, Repel, Permanone, Sawyer. May be able to find it at Tractor Supply, or Farm and Fleet, as well.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you say Chigga its ok.  Its what our generation calls em. It be like, be, like a male homebug.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
chigga please
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Wash the effected areas with water as hot as you can stand and dish soap. Sometimes the larvae linger, but the key irritant is their rotting digestive juices around the skin they chewed off. Normal soap isn't strong enough to kill bacteria and doesn't really do much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#18]
African-American Trombiculidae?

Deep Wood OFF for prevention, if you have them WD-40. And +1 on the short grass in your yard/farm/ranch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I use cheap flea & tick spray for dogs that contains  pyrethrins/permethrin and spray my boots & pants up to my knees.

Cat flea & tick spray won't work because it doesn't contain pyrethrins.

FYI, pyrethrins can/will kill the pussy. That's why they're sold separately.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Pertinent thread is pertinent.

Not sure why, but the chiggers up here in MO are way more powerful than where I lived all my life (Texas).  Could be a different type of bug that my body is not used to???

They are killing me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not sure why, but the chiggers up here in MO are way more powerful than where I lived all my life (Texas).  Could be a different type of bug that my body is not used to???

They are killing me.
View Quote

Before working in central and eastern Nebraska I never had much of a problem. These ones are fucking radioactive mutants. The bites I got there last year took two or three months to heal.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#22]
IBTL!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They are killing me.
View Quote

Ditto for me here in NW Oklahoma. Never had a single one my whole life in Georgia. Didn't have any here last summer - this summer however. ..... they are driving me nuts! Luckily they haven't reached that high yet tho.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I always hit the beach with those things. Salt water always helped fast. Oppsie, Colorado, I guess it's salt lake for you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Is there some shit I can spray on my legs to keep them off? I'm all ate up and their bites take forever to heal on me.

View Quote
Go to a feed store and get powdered sulfur, you can also use 10% sulfur soap to kill shit in your skin. Sprinkle the powdered sulfur on your shoes, socks, and pants do not ingest it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Seasick Steve will tell ya all about chiggers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XPXRTsPpI
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ditto for me here in NW Oklahoma. Never had a single one my whole life in Georgia. Didn't have any here last summer - this summer however. ..... they are driving me nuts! Luckily they haven't reached that high yet tho.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are killing me.

It could be other types of mites, like the scabies mites that give dogs sarcoptic mange. Almost all animals carry these mites but they don't start having problems unless they're allergic or have a weakened immune system.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is that like the Chinese version of "wigger"?
View Quote

Uighurs
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Sulfer powder in a sock, dust yourself.  Chiggers hate the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
We used to use a "Sergent's Flea and Tick" collar. Put one around each ankle but not NOT where it touches skin. We bloused them in our pants. Two more attached together went under our belt, again do not let it touch your skin. Didn't bother me and perhapse counteracted the agent orange.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Did I beat the "put clear nail polish on the bite to suffocate them"  crowd?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I have seen linemen for the power company use cattle insect tags on their boots to keep them off.

We get a generic spray at work that's not too bad and does a decent job.  It will take the polish off of your boots and belt though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I grew up in Missouri and you 'aint kiddin'!  Those damn things will tear your ass (and nutsack) up!  Deep Woods Off is pretty good for keeping them away.  My problem was that I'd get lazy and not take the time to spray it all over my clothing and legs.  I'd pay the price later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never seen one myself.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]
off

deep woods

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sulfer powder in a sock, dust yourself.  Chiggers hate the stuff.
View Quote

This is what I remember using as a kid. It must have worked, seeing as I never got any bites.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Got those little bastards all over in Tennessee back in the 70s. Sprayed this burning shit on em. Itched like a fuck. I hate them. Kill with fire!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I soaked my legs in salt water then washed them with dish soap and hot water. Seemed to help the itchiness at least.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Chigger rid is the product you want after you get them. Do not screw up the spelling .

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

IBTL!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I soaked my legs in salt water then washed them with dish soap and hot water. Seemed to help the itchiness at least.

View Quote

Lye soap for skin irritations such as poison ivy, or insect bites.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They are killing me.
View Quote

Some Texan is about to come along and tell you about a chigger carrying off his herd.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I use a cedar oil spray to protect my dogs from fleas, ticks, and other bitey bugs. I use it on myself as well. 3 years, no bites on any of us. If the smell of cedar doesn't offend you, I'd look into it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Chiggers are cool until they annihilate your shaft and you think it's herpes. Ask me how I know....
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Started using Sawyers Clothing and Equipment  spray last summer.  Chigger free to date while wearing sprayed clothing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything with DEET will keep them off from what I've heard.

Cutter or Deep Woods Off should do the trick as they both contain DEET.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Any of the Off stuff works. I'm allergic to them.  They make large oozing knots on me that take forever (weeks) to  heal without taking Benadryl and they will cover me up when they don't hardly bother anyone else. .

I've got this down to a system, hold the pants legs up, spray my socks and shoe tops, then the pants legs to at least knee high, then around my waist on and over the belt (they love to crawl in and bite me right over the belt), up the button line on my shirt and around the end of the shirt arms (same with them crawling in these and biting me all over) and then a good coating on the arms and hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top