Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2023 1:58:48 PM EDT
I'm having a weird issue with a headlight on a Chevy Cruze. The headlights use an H13 bulb. Not my favorite bulb, to say the least.

The vehicle had what appeared to be the stock halogen bulbs in it. I replaced the passenger side with an LED bulb. No problems, high and low beams come on without issue. I then tried to replace the driver's side bulb. The high beam works normally. But the low beam will not come on. It appears the bulb is not getting power while the low beams are on. The fan won't spin up. It's not the LED bulb. I switched back and forth and both LEDs work in the passenger side. Both show the same malfunction on the driver's side. I reinstalled the halogen bulb in the driver's side for now and it works fine.

For a short while, I was able to get the driver's side LED to work properly, but it was obvious it was flaky. That's when I replaced it with the stock halogen for now and realized I was going to have to consult with you guys to see if you have any ideas.

I know it could be a relay issue. Does each side have its own low beam relay, though? And if it is the relay, why does the stock halogen work fine? This one has me stumped.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the same issue when I went led, contacted xenon pro where I bought bulbs and they sent me a different canceller and it fixed the issue. Mine would go high to low but would take like 30 seconds. Hope it helps
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked it up from Amazon. I wonder why the passenger side doesn't seem to need a canceler. Seems if one side needs one, they both would require one as the same issue should affect the entire circuit. But it's just the driver's side. That's what makes this problem difficult to understand.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
So, you bought the shittiest LED PNP you could find to make your mediocre headlights into glaring useless headlights that blind everyone around you and make you a mobile road hazard and you bitch about one being bad in the box.

If you are too lazy to do it right with a major safety device in your car just put a set of halogens nighbreakers in there.

If you want good headlights and would not like to kill someone as they drive home in the dark with their family do a proper LED or HID projector retrofit.

Putting PNP LEDs (or HIDs) into a housing NOT designed for them is easily one of the most irresponsible things you can do to your car. Second only to never doing a brake job. I'd say it's more of a road hazard than texting and driving or being a drunk driver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I know Ram uses a CANBUS system in their vehicles. I think GM does as well, but I'm not sure. I put LED bulbs in a GMC Yukon. The same kind, actually, and they work fine. It's vastly superior to the halogens it came with. And, like I said, the passenger side works fine on the Cruze. It's just the driver's side that's wonky. I could try a different LED bulb and see if I can recreate the issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" would seem to apply here.............the corollary being "and especially don't fix it with cheap Chinese crap."
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
May need a driver for the bulb to be able to tell the computer it there and drawing energy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May need a driver for the bulb to be able to tell the computer it there and drawing energy.
View Quote
I wonder if that's the issue. I have another LED bulb I can try to see if that one works. If push comes to shove, I could always leave the halogen bulb in there as Whizz suggested. I was simply curious more than anything else why an LED bulb would function correctly on the passenger side but become flaky on the driver's side. Especially when the same bulbs work fine in a Yukon which probably has a similar electrical system. It could be a quirk with the specific vehicle. It doesn't seem to be a common problem, best as I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder if that's the issue. I have another LED bulb I can try to see if that one works. If push comes to shove, I could always leave the halogen bulb in there as Whizz suggested. I was simply curious more than anything else why an LED bulb would function correctly on the passenger side but become flaky on the driver's side. Especially when the same bulbs work fine in a Yukon which probably has a similar electrical system. It could be a quirk with the specific vehicle. It doesn't seem to be a common problem, best as I can tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some led bulbs already have the drivers in them and others don't.

Some vehicles just need the added driver to tell the computer the bulbs are there.
Top Top