Seems like good idea's.
State of North Carolina
Office of State Budget and Management
Michael F. Easley David T. McCoy
Governor and Director State Budget Officer of the Budget
TO: All Agency Heads and Chief Fiscal Officers
FROM: David McCoy
RE: Directive on State Employees’ Travel
DATE: September 1, 2005
Due to Hurricane Katrina’s impact on the fuel resources available to the State of North Carolina, additional measures must be implemented to mitigate its effect on North Carolina.
Therefore, I am writing to provide instruction and clarifying information regarding the Governor’s directive that state government take action to limit all non-essential state government travel.
Effective immediately, and until September 15, 2005 or unless otherwise notified by this Office, the following measures shall be implemented:
1. All out of state travel except that directly related to disaster recovery is prohibited.
2. All in-state travel is restricted to those activities that are related to law enforcement and public safety, public health, due process hearings, emergency situations and/or the custody/care of persons for whom the state is responsible.
3. The Division of Motor Fleet Management is prohibited from issuing any state owned motor vehicle
unless an Agency Head or Chief Deputy has personally signed the Motor Fleet Management Request
for Vehicle Form.
4. All state departments and institutions are to immediately stop the mowing of grass and the use of any gasoline driven motors for routine grounds or roads maintenance, except for safety reasons.
5. In lieu of face to face meetings, the use of teleconferencing is encouraged. Teleconferencing sites are located in multiple locations throughout the state.
By implementing these measures, I am optimistic that we will be able to successfully and cooperatively work our way through this matter.
If you have any questions concerning this directive, please contact your budget analyst at 733-7061.
Mailing Address: www.osbm.state.nc.us Office Location:
20320 Mail Service Center (919) 733-7061 ** FAX (919) 733-0640 5200 Administration Building
Raleigh, NC 27699-0320 An EEO/AA Employer 116 West Jones Street