Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 11:54:26 AM EDT
I run a lot and the only thing I have to keep my mind occupied is my CD player.  As you can probably imagine, it's a bitch to keep it from skipping while you run.  Can anyone recommend a Mp3 player that is:

1) small
2) easy to use for 1st timer
3) can rip CD's
4) can download music from the net
5) can take a beating
6) cheap, 50-80 bucks

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

1) small
5) can take a beating

I've been skiing and running with a
Memorex MMP 3731
since Xmas.  Working great.  
Don't install the bullshit software that comes with your MP3 player.  Just plug it in the USB port and it should come up as a "mass storage device" (i.e. a flash drive or external hard drive).   Select a bunch of MP3's and drag them to the new drive and Windows copies them to the player.  Can't get easier than that.

Quoted:
3) can rip CD's
4) can download music from the net

That depends on the software you install on your PC.   I use GRIP for ripping, but it's a linux-only thing.  Found this free ripper on Sourceforge.  Looks promising.
I'm wary of using ITunes because they use AAC encoding and you have to convert to MP3.  Napster uses a propritary format which requires you to use a compatable player.  And they both require registration, monthly fees, and installing bullshit software.  Sorry.  I don't register my guns and I don't install crappy software on my computers.  I've got enough CD's to keep my runs entertaining, thank you.

Quoted:
6) cheap, 50-80 bucks

Keep an eye out in your local newspaper's ads.  All the big-name stores mark down their MP3 players hoping to get you in the store to buy other stuff.  My wife picked up my player for $75 at Target last month.  The players with more memory will cost more.  Rule of thumb: a single song takes 3-4 MB (you can rip at higher or lower sample rates to get better sound/smaller files).  Depending on how long you run, you will need a more expensive player or tolerate repeats.  My Memorex has 2 complete CD's plus a dozen individual songs on it right now, about 3 hours of music.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
what about creative labs? have you heard or seen any bad things about their players?  I was looking the the Zen Touche.  I want something that has atleast 20g of storage and isn't very expensive.  Also kind of small if I want to run with it.  Plus it has some pretty good battery life.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rio Sport model.  I have one.  I love it!  Very easy to use.  

Rio MP3

Memory is a little small, but can be upgraded for farily cheap.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Sony Atrac CD/MP3 player. You can put about 11-12 hours of music on one MP3 cd. It is cheap and you can still use your cds when you want to. MP3 cds do not skip. The player comes with all of the software to rip your cds to MP3. I am ripping MP3s as I am typing this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the original Rio MP3 players, in a special edition with more storage. Can hold 18 songs or so. I'd sell for 50-80 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to get an MP5 not long ago but I decided to go with the scaled down MP3
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this free ripper on Sourceforge. Looks promising.

Thanks for link, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ipod or Ipod mini, why go with one of the 'also rans'?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]

The Rio Sport model. I have one. I love it! Very easy to use.

Rio MP3

Memory is a little small, but can be upgraded for farily cheap.

Hmmmm, I was thinking about this one before.  Overstock always seems to have them in stock for $75 too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]

I use a Sony Atrac CD/MP3 player. You can put about 11-12 hours of music on one MP3 cd. It is cheap and you can still use your cds when you want to. MP3 cds do not skip. The player comes with all of the software to rip your cds to MP3. I am ripping MP3s as I am typing this.

Yea, but I heard that Sony players require you to convert Mp3's to their format before they will play.  Is this not the case with the Atrac?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]

I was going to get an MP5 not long ago but I decided to go with the scaled down MP3

I knew this was going to trick a few HK heads out there into clicking on this thread.  "Holy shit, HK is introducing a compact MP5?"[
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) small
5) can take a beating

I've been skiing and running with a
Memorex MMP 3731
since Xmas.  Working great.

+1

I love the Memorex units. Cheap, handy and the mass storage option kicks ass over the units that require proprietary software to install .mp3's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top