Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:51:39 AM EDT
If this is a dupe I apologize, I did a search but I'm new at searching, so I might've f***ed it up

I just rented Charlie and the choc factory.  I avoided it in the theaters because I was a big fan of the first one.

It was great!  A little different, though I wasn't disappointed in the differences.  Johnny Depp was hilarious in it.

What did you guys think?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I just couldn't force myself to like anyone but Gene Wilder as Willy. Depp was cool, just didn't have the sarcasm and creep factor that Gene did. And the Oompa Loompa songs sucked, If they were supposed to be funny I woulldn't know cuz I couldn't understand a damn thing they were saying.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just couldn't force myself to like anyone but Gene Wilder as Willy. Depp was cool, just didn't have the sarcasm and creep factor that Gene did. And the Oompa Loompa songs sucked, If they were supposed to be funny I woulldn't know cuz I couldn't understand a damn thing they were saying.

I thought depp was creepier than wilder.  That SMILE>>>?  c'mon, pretty friggn creepy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought depp was creepier than wilder.  That SMILE>>>?  c'mon, pretty friggn creepy

"I greet each of you and shake your hand warmly.   Oh."

Cracked me up.  Better than geno's I thought.  

When asked why they were doing a remake, Depp wisely pointed out they were doing CHARLIE and the Chocolate factory, not Gene Wilder and the Chocolate factory.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When asked why they were doing a remake, Depp wisely pointed out they were doing CHARLIE and the Chocolate factory, not Gene Wilder and the Chocolate factory.  

This movie got into the psychological background that the first movie did not touch on, makes it worthy of a remake.  The biggest challenge was to not compare it to the original, too much anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cracked up when veruca salt's dad asked if Charlie used the industrial Havermat to sort the nuts... and he said, "No way <<giggle, giggle>>, You're really weird."  I started dying!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like the first movie and had reservations about Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. But I saw it in the theatre and loved it! Johnny Depp is a wonderful, if flakey in real life, actor. It's on my "must buy" list.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Ed Wood as Willy Wonka... Humm....
Oh hell.. now I have to see it!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depp was creepier.
Didn't care for the oompa loompas - too modern/edgy for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Depp is a liberal, scumbag, America-hating, communist, scumbag, cocksucker, and I will not watch any movie he has association with.

Depp

Subtle?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ed Wood as Willy Wonka... Humm....
Oh hell.. now I have to see it!

i think James Woods would be better.  

haven't seen the new one though.  don't plan on it either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually liked the remake better than the original.

Depp was brilliant, the kids were much better than the original kids, I loved the oompa loompa's.  Every time they burst out in song it was like a freakish "Up with People" show.

The squirrel room had me peeing my pants.

"Daddy, I don't want a regular squirrel.  I want a TRAINED Squirrel".

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Depp is a liberal, scumbag, America-hating, communist, scumbag, cocksucker, and I will not watch any movie he has association with.

Depp

Subtle?

But, how do you REALLY feel about him?

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.  C'mon, you are secretly in love with him, aren't you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a bad retelling of the tale but Depp's Wonka would have been much more interesting if he'd been as sly as Wilder's rather than just a sarcastic social retard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
oompa loompa songs sucked. rest of the movie was excellent.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My only two complaints as well. The film was very well done, but Depp's Wonka wasn't as good and the broadway versions of the oompa loompa songs were goofy as hell.

ETA: Vince Vaughn would have been a great Wonka.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top